Buying new guns with CHL (Oregon)

This is a discussion on Buying new guns with CHL (Oregon) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Oregon-specific question: Do CHL holders need to undergo the background check / thumbprinting each time they buy a new firearm? Or, can you simply show ...

Thread: Buying new guns with CHL (Oregon)

Oregon-specific question:

Do CHL holders need to undergo the background check / thumbprinting each time they buy a new firearm? Or, can you simply show the card and skip through all of that?

I believe you still have to fill out the paperwork and such. Either way it only takes a couple minutes to do. Fill out the appropriate stuff, sign here, here, here, and here, they call in the NCIS check, and you walk out with your new firearm(s).

VIP Member
    House Bill 2768..I believe it is the same routine as before,like f3rr37 says ...fill out,sign and go.. doesn't take long...bout enough time to get a box or two cartridges up on the counter,or browse the other goodies for minuet..

Yep, still have to go through the $10 background check with a CHL.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Yep gotta pay your $10 tax... I mean background check fee.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by still442 View Post
    Oregon-specific question: Do CHL holders need to undergo the background check / thumbprinting each time they buy a new firearm? Or, can you simply show the card and skip through all of that?
    Oregon resident, here. Have bought/sold several. The CHL doesn't matter one bit, when purchasing/selling. CHL only controls your ability to carry concealed, not your purchase.

How it works, when buying from an FFL dealer: You pick out a gun and agree on a price, then they take have you fill out the forms for the background check. They make a call to the state police, provide basic identifying data about you and the gun you intend to purchase. $10 fee for the check, I think, whether you get approved or not. Assuming the approval comes within a minute or so, it takes all of 30mins in-and-out. Once, I had it take a couple days, before getting the nod from them. Otherwise, it's fairly quick.

How it works, when buying from a private party (no FFL dealer necessary): You should probably get the serial number and identifying info on the gun in advance, then call it into the state police, to validate it's not stolen or wanted. Then, meet, exchange cash for gun, and that's it. Might want to complete a simple bill of sale, just to record the transaction and cover your butt. Me, I do the transfer in a busy, public place, write down the car's license plate and person's Oregon driver's license number (confirming it's that person), we sign/date two copies of the bill of sale, and that's about it.

Hope that helps.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    Not here in Nevada. With a CHL, there's no background check. Since it's $25/each time, it can save some money if you buy a lot.

VIP Member
    In fact, house bill 2768(purchasing a firarm with a chl) in Oregon seems to have been for nothing...it is as easy as it always has been to purchase here.I bought my first pistol here in 1969....it took me maybe another 10 minuets to buy another of many in 2006....but in 69 we didn't have NCIS....it can't be much faster,unless you are denied..and sometimes I think that happens just because of the data entry person....
    Last edited by simon; July 3rd, 2007 at 07:59 AM. Reason: misspelled nics finished!

Thanks for the info. I have bought a few guns since moving here, and I agree, its about as painless a process as one could hope for this day in age.

I'll have my license next week. I was deciding whether to wait before getting a new firearm, but now I see there is no reason.

Links