I think I got made at the hardware store, and they called the cops on me! - Page 2

I think I got made at the hardware store, and they called the cops on me!

This is a discussion on I think I got made at the hardware store, and they called the cops on me! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Sounds like a public school graduate who's been indoctrinated to think Guns are bad..only cops should have guns..(the 16 yr old kid)...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Sounds like a public school graduate who's been indoctrinated to think Guns are bad..only cops should have guns..(the 16 yr old kid)

Administrator

In Perspective

Did you happen to see on TV what NYC looked like since the two dud bomb attempts in Great Britain ? - and the one that actually did go boom.
    They have been blasting it on every TV news channel to report ANYTHING suspicious, unusual, or out of the ordinary to the authorities. Followed up by Be Vigilant!

I'm guessing that to a 16 year old kid seeing a firearm become visible from under a shirt - when he does not see one in the hardware store every day - is something out of the ordinary for him and so he probably reported it.

Just my best guess.

Senior Moderator
    I think you'd really be surprised how Manu LEOs are CCW friendly. We get them in the shop all of the time for all different reasons and they all are very positive about the fact that we all carry concealed weapons. Again, you weren't doing anything illegal and it is very possible that the kid was just doing his job just like the police officer was doing his job by being called to respond to a man with a gun.

I hate to say this, but can you really blame some people for calling the police these days? What with all of the shootings and crime I don't blame anyone for wanting to protect themselves, even if their means of protection is just dialing 911.

I know this may sound a little odd but I'll try to make it clear. While these people (meaning your average citizens) don't carry guns, they certainly don't want to feel unsafe or be stupid.

If we saw someone e acting strange by our standards we would start getting into position to defend ourselves if applicable. We might put our hand a little closer to our gun our watch more closely. We might take our cell phones out of our pockets and poise our fingers over the 9 and the 1. We might take a few steps away and make sure our backs are covered while we scope out the nearest exits. That's part of what we do as carriers to defend against a potential attack.

Similarily, these people call the police to defend against a potential attack, and I, for one, will never fault them for that.

Actually I think it's just one of the hazards of carrying concealed. Eventually you'll probably get made and you'll may get the police called on you. At which point (provided you really aren't doing anything illegal) you will have a good chat with the LEO and eventually return home and to defensive carry to tell your story.

Heck, my husband has had the police called on him because he "got made" carrying and I'm kind of surprised it hasn't happened to me yet.

I guess I'm trying to admonish everyone not to be so hard on the regular guy for reporting a gun. He doesn't know you from Adam and there's no reason why he should trust you or me or anyone with a gun just like we wouldn't trust him in certain situations.

He must have thrown them off when he paid for his stuff....maybe that's why the PO didn't follow him. That, and the PO probably called in the plate which showed a CCW license.

Just a thought

I've only been carrying for about 4 months and have already noticed that I have developed a habit of making sure my pistol isn't showing or is too noticeable in certain clothing. At the same time, I'm thinking that if I go overboard and make it obvious that I am trying to hide something, than that defeats the purpose. Someone just sitting and people watching would see that I was making sure my shirt was down and in the right position for some odd reason. I agree with every aspect of this topic that you all have presented and I can only add that as a newer member of the "carrying community" that we must respect both sides of the issue whether we like it or not. 911 is the weapon most people carry when confronted with what may look like a potential emergency, while all of us carry a more instantaneous method of response.
    I was taught in my CCW class that if you were "made" it is best to call the PD yourself and explain before the coppers even arrived. Do you folks agree with this? Is this going to escalate the situation or should we just leave like this individual did? God bless you folks...
    "Like a muddied spring or polluted well is a righteous man who gives way to the wicked." -Proverbs 25:26

"If the thief is found breaking in, and he is struck so that he dies, there shall be no guilt for his bloodshed..." -Exodus 22:2

keeping it simple, just bend your knees next time or kneel down, instead of arching forward (what I assume you did). are you carring in the small of your back?

Quote Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
    It is important to learn how to bend over, and what cover garments to wear depending upon how the gun is carried.

Not much sympathy from me. Learn what this is all about, dress around the gun, and be cautious about any movements which would reveal or print your gun.
    I can't blame the clerk, but the carrier of the gun.
    Wow, sounds almost like an anti - ever accidentally cut your finger? ever accidentally drop something? Every accidentally swear in church? Have you EVER been in a car accident? Sometimes accident happen - sometimes things are unavoidable. Although what say is correct (Dressing around your gun), this kind of hard nose attitude doesn't help anyone.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    He must have thrown them off when he paid for his stuff....
    For some reason I doubt this - a 16 year old kid sees man with gun - appears to whispers to teenage female coworker - calls cops with a "Man with gun" report - then to say "wow that was weird, a man with a gun paid for his stuff, who could have thunk that!"

In reality - the cop probably realized that there was nothing illegal going on - and any stop would be without real cause.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

VIP Member
    I'm not worried about a person with a holstered firearm....I'm worried of the ones with gun in hand!
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

It happens. I like carry laws that allow open carry because people will get use to seeing a holstered gun on a "good guy"!

Don't worry about what happened and just be aware of how you bend. Suggest via bending at your knees like other people have stated.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    You wouldn't have attracted so much attention if your shopping list hadn't included fertilizer, pipe and nails!
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

VIP Member
    Learn from it and watch your cover garment. If nothing else, we don't want LEO to have to waste his (or her ) time responding to nothing. I bet the LEO wish people would get more educated on CCW.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Did you happen to see on TV what NYC looked like since the two dud bomb attempts in Great Britain ? - and the one that actually did go boom.
    They have been blasting it on every TV news channel to report ANYTHING suspicious, unusual, or out of the ordinary to the authorities. Followed up by Be Vigilant!
    That really sounds like a scene from a futuristic movie. You know the kind of movie that everyone on the planet is just a number and we are to follow orders without question.

Wish I could pull the movie name out of my head.

Call me crazy, but I think the kid did the right thing. Suppose you weren't an upstanding citizen? I agree, knowing what I know about CC, that a holstered firearm is usually nothing to worry about, but this kid doesn't know that. Just like you are trying to do everything you can to protect yourself, the kid's doing the same. I think that's great. Better safe than sorry. Worst thing that happens is you have to talk with the police for a minute. Just my 2 cents.
    Never criticize a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes...that way, when you criticize him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Is it illegal to flash in NC?
    I wouldn't say it legal to "flash" or brandish, but open carry is legal in NC. I do quite frequently. Of course, in the area that I live in, there is a lot of tobacco, so most probably figure that I work on a crop farm and use mine for rodent/critter control, and just shrug it off.

Now the coastal areas are a little different. You don't see many carrying open at all. It is rare enough down that way that if I see an openly carried gun I take a second look.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links