I think I got made at the hardware store, and they called the cops on me! - Page 3

I think I got made at the hardware store, and they called the cops on me!

This is a discussion on I think I got made at the hardware store, and they called the cops on me! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Pete Is it illegal to flash in NC? Well, there's "flashing" and there's having someone see it. Intent is everything, in most ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I think I got made at the hardware store, and they called the cops on me!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Is it illegal to flash in NC?
    Well, there's "flashing" and there's having someone see it. Intent is everything, in most places having a law covering this sort of thing. I'm not certain about NC, but with open carry it's highly unlikely it's seen as a bad thing.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Administrator
    If I had a nickel for every "man with gun call" I've gone to, I'd buy a new gun.

It happens and the kid was doing what he was taught. Its a little annoying, but not wrong. I'd rather respond to a 100 CCW holders getting spotted calls than not get called for the 1 important one.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
    In some states you can lose your license if your gun is discovered.
    It is important to learn how to bend over, and what cover garments to wear depending upon how the gun is carried.

Not much sympathy from me. Learn what this is all about, dress around the gun, and be cautious about any movements which would reveal or print your gun.
    I can't blame the clerk, but the carrier of the gun.
    Jerry
    Others have adequately responded to the responsibilities and pitfalls
    of Legal Concealed Carry , nothing for me to add.

However , after reading a few of your posts , my comment is
    Could you give the "sermons" a rest ?
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

JerryM, I wasn't looking for sympathy from you, somehow I don't think your sympathy will help me sleep at night. I was just telling about what happened to me. You never know, they may not have called the cops and the officer was just in a hurry to find a place to write up a report or something. I'll never know now because I didn't talk to him.

FMC

So in NC open carry is ok, then the kid was either just scared or the attending LEO was a coincidence.

Anyway, you go out of there without fleeing so I see no crime committed.

BTW, JerryM. I got made at Lowes a few times loading 2x4s onto my truck, hard not to show a bit of torso when you're working like a dog and bending and stooping.
    No penalty here for 'flashing', the guys at Lowes are a little older tan FMCs 16 yera old too, so no LEOS were called.

Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    Wow, sounds almost like an anti - ever accidentally cut your finger? ever accidentally drop something? Every accidentally swear in church? Have you EVER been in a car accident? Sometimes accident happen - sometimes things are unavoidable. Although what say is correct (Dressing around your gun), this kind of hard nose attitude doesn't help anyone.
    No, its not "anti", its emphasizing the primary safety- the one between our ears. Things do happen, but if one is a responsible adult, one does not walk around with the idea that, "that's the way it is...", one takes pre-emptive steps to minimize "stuff".

Lets flip this scenario around: Homie Smith is in the hardware store looking for a piece of pipe (to steal) with which to beat his old lady; Homie is on parole, and his buddy Shank has been talking about robbing the local strip club after close on a Friday night. This afternoon is Friday afternoon.

Ahhhh. Homie sees Someone picking up some garden stakes, and their shirt tail is hiked upover what's supposed to be a concealed weapon. "Hmmm," Homie thinks, "this guy isn't situationally oriented, and is exhibiting excessive task-fixation. I could use his gun and his truck, and Ol' Lady's pantyhose for suitable disposable AR and AA&B gear, and the guy might have some weed money in his wallet......" Or something to that effect.

Homie puts the pipe back, and watches as Someone pays and walk out. He checks his watch, and snaps his fingers as though remembering an appointment, and walks out hurriedly. Someone has just dropped their armload of stakes in the bed of thier truck, and is glancing at the keyhole in the door when Homie jogs lightly up behind Someone, and uses his left elbow to smash Someone's head into the truck, while Homie's right hand is grabbing the butt of the pistol (since he knows where it is), and draws it......He pushes the muzzle of the pistol into Someones neck, and fires twice. He kicks Someone over the parking median, looks in the back of the truck, and grabs a ratty army surplus blanket he sees, and tosses it over Someone, along with a can of paint, to hold the blanket down. He picks the keys up off the ground, and drives off.

What could Someone have done differently? FWIW, this is an amalgam of a carjacking and a gang hit that happened in KS and OKC.

I'm not posting this as a "Scenario", but to illustrate that poor decision making can have consequences. Of the two guys that were actually killed, one was (IIRC) a youth minister, the other was a 28 yo gang veteran.

VIP Member
    Our familiarity and relative comfort with handguns might leave us a bit forgetful that there are a lot of people in our society that are literally terrified of handguns!

I think those people scare me more than my gun scares them!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by purple88yj View Post
    I wouldn't say it legal to "flash" or brandish, but open carry is legal in NC. I do quite frequently. Of course, in the area that I live in, there is a lot of tobacco, so most probably figure that I work on a crop farm and use mine for rodent/critter control, and just shrug it off.

Now the coastal areas are a little different. You don't see many carrying open at all. It is rare enough down that way that if I see an openly carried gun I take a second look.
    I know that in Cary, it's "illegal" to open carry - says the Cary police... town ordinance. As far as I know, that's the only town near the Triangle that has such an ordinance.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmaycraft View Post
    JerryM, I wasn't looking for sympathy from you, somehow I don't think your sympathy will help me sleep at night. I was just telling about what happened to me. You never know, they may not have called the cops and the officer was just in a hurry to find a place to write up a report or something. I'll never know now because I didn't talk to him.

FMC
    Learning from others mistakes , helps us to better keep from repeating them. I'm sure fishmaycraft has learned he needs to be a bit more careful with his cover garment.
    Thanks for posting your story Fishmaycraft.

NOTE: keep the comments civil and on topic please.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    I probably would have approached the officer and asked if anything was wrong. Letting em know you are a Good guy isn't a bad idea. (but up here most LE are CCW friendly).
    Why in God's name would you approach a LEO if you think you have been made and he is giving you the eagle eye. He did right by proceeding to his vehicle and driving away. You never know what type of mindset is on the other end of his gun he carries, and you could become a statistic very quickly. Tell me it does not happen..
    I know, I know, you are smarter than me..just ask you..

Arizona

l've spent a lot of time in rural Arizona recently as l am relocating from Kalifornia. Some people open carry and from what l have seen it's really no big deal here in store the other day in line with two people open carrying no one seemed worried but this is Arizona.
    It is not wrong to be Right
    An apeaser is a man who hopes that the crocidle eats him last

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mocarryguy View Post
    Why in God's name would you approach a LEO if you think you have been made and he is giving you the eagle eye. He did right by proceeding to his vehicle and driving away. You never know what type of mindset is on the other end of his gun he carries, and you could become a statistic very quickly. Tell me it does not happen..
    I would rather have a chat in a parking lot than be pulled over on the side of the road. If the officer is going to pull a felony stop, I would rather have it out of traffic.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Agreed Jerry.

If it was the clerk or some other person that called then it would have been a smart play to do as based on real world and most often negative results.
    For all the clerk knew you might have been there to pickup wood just prior to making a final stop at some Amish school or something...

It's better to be safe than sorry as we ourselves espouse.
    A clerk would have no way to know you are you and not some nut bag or criminal.
    It's easy enough to flash your permit to the LEO and explain what was described here that you just bent over to pickup your accidentally dropped and later purchased goods resulting in an unintended partial flash.

Folks should remember that those of us who carry concealed legally for completely benign and legal personal defense purposes are very much in a small minority. The only other people who do this are either cops or criminals and the cops as everyone knows don't always carry when out of uniform and on their own time.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    If you strongly suspected that the hush-hush conversation between the clerks was about your handgun, why didn't you just say, "excuse me, but if you are whispering about seeing my handgun, I am licensed to carry it and here's my license if you would like to see it".

It might avoid the "man with a gun" phone call and it might educate someone.

I'd rather establish my legal status right away and let the chips fall where they may instead of letting a "man with a gun" call about me go unchallenged.

But then, I am not bashful about standing up when I am in the right.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy Jimmy View Post
    I don't know this for a fact but I think I saw it on here somewhere that in Texas it is not "brandishing" unless you point it at some one does anyone know the definition of "brandishing" in Texas?
    I couldn't find "brandishing" anywhere in the laws but here are a couple of things I did find:
    46.035. UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF HANDGUN BY LICENSE
    HOLDER. (a) A license holder commits an offense if the license
    holder carries a handgun on or about the license holder's person
    under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, and intentionally fails to conceal the handgun.

22.01. ASSAULT. (a) A person commits an offense if the
    person:
    (1) intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly causes bodily injury to another, including the person's spouse;
    (2) intentionally or knowingly threatens another with imminent bodily injury, including the person's spouse; or
    (3) intentionally or knowingly causes physical contact with another when the person knows or should reasonably believe that the other will regard the contact as offensive or provocative.

22.05. DEADLY CONDUCT.
    (a) A person commits an offense if he recklessly engages in conduct that places another in imminent danger of serious bodily injury.

(b) A person commits an offense if he knowingly discharges a
    firearm at or in the direction of:
    (1) one or more individuals; or
    (2) a habitation, building, or vehicle and is reckless as to whether the habitation, building, or vehicle is occupied.

(c) Recklessness and danger are presumed if the actor knowingly pointed a firearm at or in the direction of another whether or not the actor believed the firearm to be loaded.

(d) For purposes of this section, "building," "habitation," and "vehicle" have the meanings assigned those terms by Section

FindLaw.com has a great reference library. Some of the above also have affirmative defenses listed with them and also specify what is a felony and what is a misdemeanor.

So I guess the long and short of it is we don't "brandish" in Texas, we either unlawfully carry, assault, or commit deadly conduct.
    My nights at Holiday Inn Express would lead me to believe that open carry could get you the first one, drawing the second, and aiming the third.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links