I think I got made at the hardware store, and they called the cops on me! - Page 4

I think I got made at the hardware store, and they called the cops on me!

This is a discussion on I think I got made at the hardware store, and they called the cops on me! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by imatt I know that in Cary, it's "illegal" to open carry - says the Cary police... town ordinance. As far as I ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I think I got made at the hardware store, and they called the cops on me!

Quote Originally Posted by imatt View Post
    I know that in Cary, it's "illegal" to open carry - says the Cary police... town ordinance. As far as I know, that's the only town near the Triangle that has such an ordinance.
    I knew that Chapel Hill is off limits to open carry, but not aware of Cary. Thank you for the info. I will have to look into that. Charlotte had this matter come before City Council some time back, but it was quickly dismissed.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

Draco, You are correct. Here in AZ getting made probably gets a few bad jokes made at your expense. Ah La, "Yo buddy you caryying open or concealed today; make up yer feeble mind!"
    William Wallace
    Do not stand between Me and Mine!!

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jmiked View Post
    Draco, You are correct. Here in AZ getting made probably gets a few bad jokes made at your expense. Ah La, "Yo buddy you caryying open or concealed today; make up yer feeble mind!"
    Even in Arizona the sheep are afraid of guns. I was just talking to my apartment manager, who recently got a call from a very upset resident. Apparently, a gentleman was doing laundry in the common laundry room and another resident spotted his gun as he was bending over at a dryer.

The apartment manager called the gentleman and he explained that he is in the military and has a CCW permit. The manager told me the hysterical woman acted as if he waved the gun around in the air.

For me, it's comforting that another resident is armed. When he returns from Afghanistan I will invite him over and personally thank him for his service.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy Jimmy View Post
    I don't know this for a fact but I think I saw it on here somewhere that in Texas it is not "brandishing" unless you point it at some one does anyone know the definition of "brandishing" in Texas?
    fyi Timmy....Texas doesn't have a "brandishing" law
    according to penal code, it is illegal for a CHL to "intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly fail to conceal their handgun"
    if you flash as in this post's topic it would not fall under this category (definition of reckless is in penal code), if you take it out of the holster to show your buddy your new glock in the walmart parking lot and somebody sees it and calls police....you're in trouble
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Glad it worked out.

I was paying for milk and bread and the gent in line in front of my was open carrying a Taurus. My first reaction was, I hope he did not "forget" his cover garment. Then I thought, I wonder how he likes the Taurus. I did not panic and call 911. When the gent turned I then saw his badge on his belt.

Most of the never even saw the gun on his hip.
    'The assailant chooses the time, location and method of attack.

Since they are unlikely to let you know ahead of time when, where and how violent they're going to be, you should always be prepared.' - matiki

Some people jsut don't stop to think that think a person can be "lawfully armed". Just as many people don't know the AWB expired.
    ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED...until --> Y O U <-- verify. Shoot straight, Be safe!!!

As I have considered my post regarding this subject, I conclude that it was unnecessarily harsh, and according apologize to fishmaycraft and others that were offended.
    I failed to make the points I intended, and if a "soft word turneth away wrath," then a harsh word brings it on.

What I would like to convey is that we who do carry have a great responsibility not only in the use of deadly force, but also to not unnecessarily alarm those who do not share our views or knowledge of the law and Constitution.

Whether we like it or not, this is a time of concern as to safety in this nation, not only for terrorism, but the general problem of violent crime.

It is useless to think that the public at large, especially in what we might think of as non-gun states, is going to ignore a weapon when they see it. Some will ignore it, but many will be alarmed, and we must always seek to prevent that. In time maybe we can educate more of the public, but we always have to go from where we are, and not where we would like to be.

Incidents such as this should be approached in terms of lessons learned, realize our mistakes, and try to learn and correct our errors.
    From the clerk's point of view, if fishmaycraft had been a thug and robbed or harmed someone, that clerk would hold himself largely responsible for not reporting what he saw.

It is well that the deputy was evidently not overzealous and did not confront.

So that is the message I desire to convey.
    Again, please accept my apology for being so hash in my post.

Best,
    Jerry

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by purple88yj View Post
    I wouldn't say it legal to "flash" or brandish, but open carry is legal in NC. I do quite frequently. Of course, in the area that I live in, there is a lot of tobacco, so most probably figure that I work on a crop farm and use mine for rodent/critter control, and just shrug it off.

Now the coastal areas are a little different. You don't see many carrying open at all. It is rare enough down that way that if I see an openly carried gun I take a second look.

NC is very weird about their open carry situation. There is no law outright stating "don't open carry" But we have this one that can be used at just about anytime, if the officer feels like it.

By common law in North Carolina, it is unlawful for a person to arm himself with any unusual and dangerous weapon, for the purpose of terrifying others, and go about on public highways in a manner to cause terror to others. The N.C. Supreme Court has said that any gun is an unusual and dangerous weapon for purposes of this offense. Therefore persons are cautioned as to the areas they frequent with firearms. http://grnc.org/firearms.htm#going

So depending on the situation anytime somebody is scared by you when your open carrying then your breaking this law. Just a word of caution.

Good news is that I beleive no one has been charged with this crime in some while, but it is still there to be used if/when you run into some sheeple.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

Quote Originally Posted by fishmaycraft View Post
    He drives down the isle I'm walking in and as he gets to me I reach my truck. He pulled over and sat there watching me unlock, enter and drive away, staring me down the whole time. He never spoke to me and didn't follow me out, guess he figured since I wasn't running out the door, everything was okay.
    I would have gone over and asked the LEO if there was a problem. It wouldn't have hurt for him to know for sure that you are not a bad guy. Other than that I think you handled it fine.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
    As I have considered my post regarding this subject, I conclude that it was unnecessarily harsh, and according apologize to fishmaycraft and others that were offended.
    I failed to make the points I intended, and if a "soft word turneth away wrath," then a harsh word brings it on.

What I would like to convey is that we who do carry have a great responsibility not only in the use of deadly force, but also to not unnecessarily alarm those who do not share our views or knowledge of the law and Constitution.

Whether we like it or not, this is a time of concern as to safety in this nation, not only for terrorism, but the general problem of violent crime.

It is useless to think that the public at large, especially in what we might think of as non-gun states, is going to ignore a weapon when they see it. Some will ignore it, but many will be alarmed, and we must always seek to prevent that. In time maybe we can educate more of the public, but we always have to go from where we are, and not where we would like to be.

Incidents such as this should be approached in terms of lessons learned, realize our mistakes, and try to learn and correct our errors.
    From the clerk's point of view, if fishmaycraft had been a thug and robbed or harmed someone, that clerk would hold himself largely responsible for not reporting what he saw.

It is well that the deputy was evidently not overzealous and did not confront.

So that is the message I desire to convey.
    Again, please accept my apology for being so hash in my post.

Best,
    Jerry
    No problems here Jerry!!
    I do agree, I have learned from this and am now much more conscious about my concealment. Now if only I could lose some of this gut so my shirts come down farther

FMC

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by fishmaycraft View Post
    No problems here Jerry!!
    I do agree, I have learned from this and am now much more conscious about my concealment. Now if only I could lose some of this gut so my shirts come down farther

FMC
    Maybe I ought to buy you a new shirt. But maybe I could not afford the fancy ones.
    Thanks, I learned too. Now if I flash, I don't have the nerve to confess it now. :)

Regards,
    Jerry

I probably would have looked over and given a smile and a wave.

VIP Member
    I wish people wouldn't say it is no big deal to flash your weapon. It depends where you are. In NC, it isn't really a big deal since open carry is legal. Here in Oklahoma open carry is illegal and if your weapon becomes exposed you are in violation of the law. While it is very unlikely that it would happen, you could be prosecuted- and then it is a very big deal.

As for the kid, it was stupid of him to call the police. There was no threat or reason to believe there would be a threat. Making excuses for the stupidity of an anti doesn't make sense to me.

Of course, this all could have been avoided if the original poster were to take the proper steps to not be "made". It isn't the same as cutting yourself or having a car accident. It is as easy as not cussing in church- which is easy to not do- just don't cuss anywhere. Same with the gun, cover it and don't let it be seen- anywhere. It may take a little effort on your part- but if you're not willing to make the effort you need to leave the gun at home.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    I wish people wouldn't say it is no big deal to flash your weapon. It depends where you are. In NC, it isn't really a big deal since open carry is legal. Here in Oklahoma open carry is illegal and if your weapon becomes exposed you are in violation of the law. While it is very unlikely that it would happen, you could be prosecuted- and then it is a very big deal.

As for the kid, it was stupid of him to call the police. There was no threat or reason to believe there would be a threat. Making excuses for the stupidity of an anti doesn't make sense to me.

Of course, this all could have been avoided if the original poster were to take the proper steps to not be "made". It isn't the same as cutting yourself or having a car accident. It is as easy as not cussing in church- which is easy to not do- just don't cuss anywhere. Same with the gun, cover it and don't let it be seen- anywhere. It may take a little effort on your part- but if you're not willing to make the effort you need to leave the gun at home.
    I don't see where its " stupid to call the police". Not everyone is educated on CCW. The crime going on today, all the "real life" video's we see on tv of "stop and rob" shootings , The news etc, I certainly can't blame the kid for calling the cops. If he was educated on conceal carry, he probably wouldn't have called the cops. He's totally innocent because of ignorance.
    If I get the cops called on me for being made, I'm not gonna be mad at who calls them, I'm gonna try do a better job of concealing. Being made can happen to anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    I would have gone over and asked the LEO if there was a problem. It wouldn't have hurt for him to know for sure that you are not a bad guy. Other than that I think you handled it fine.
    Many here seem to have an affinity to go talk to LEO's about all kinds of things, such as what ammo do you carry, what gun do you have...There are of course many differences in the way we see the world. I never interact with a LEO unless it is for something I may have done, which has been since 1980 for me. I am off their radar, and prefer to keep it that way. Of course, I was stopped in one of those "seat belt" checks, but I handed him a preprinted, laminated small paper with the fourth amendment on it. I keep them in my truck for those pesky pulling me over for no reason things they seem to like to do. Just a subtle reminder of what the Bill of Rights say. They have their jobs, I appreciate their efforts, and let them be. In my opinion, they are just like the remainder of the population. You don't know the good from the bad, and I am not willing to take those chances needlessly. YMMV...
    I know, I know, you are smarter than me..just ask you..

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links