Inadventently open carried today

This is a discussion on Inadventently open carried today within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was doing a network install in the northern part of Tn today. Working in the attic, running upstairs/downstairs, inside, outside...everywhere. I was melting by ...

I was doing a network install in the northern part of Tn today. Working in the attic, running upstairs/downstairs, inside, outside...everywhere. I was melting by the end of the day. The cover shirt (company shirt) came off before I even get into the truck with the A/C turned on as cold as possible. I'm driving back into Nashville and decide to stop and get a Coke and a bottle of water. Didn't even think about it. Just drug my sweaty butt into the store...1911 riding in the IWB for the whole world to see, two mags SOB. I'm guessing the 16yr old and the 80 yr old behind the counter assumed I was a LEO. Either that, or no one noticed the stainless 1911 sitting on my hip.

No harm, no foul, no one even gave me a 2nd look.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Assistant Administrator
    Attic, in hot weather - total torture.

I expect round there open ain't so terribly odd and if your demeanor was not suspicious then doubt any concerns. Some folks will look and see but then get on with what they are doing.

No biggie by sound of it.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Did the same thing in Montana 5 years ago with an OWB 44 Smith . Bought a 6 pack and no one said a thing.

OC isn't common here in Nashville even though it is legal, but for whatever reason you don't hear of people freaking out about it.

I guess our 'antis' are less paranoid than others elsewhere.

it's funny how far confidence can carry a person. if you are ever in a questionable situation, just act like you know what you are doing, and that you are supposed to be there, and no one will mess with you. if you are skiddish and unconfident, it brings the wolves. just human nature.

if you had realized it in the middle of it, and it caused you to look worried or guilty, the people would have had a different reaction. what sheep we are.

you must have looked like a sweaty undercover. the mag holders and professional looking holster just adds to that image. now if you had it just tucked in your waist band and looked at all untrustworthy, it might be a dif story.
    we all make mistakes
    even me
    -mac
    "In those days, there was a lot more respect for other people and it showed in peoples values.... Today the word value means nothing more than something you get on the $1 menu at McDonald's." -BARK'N

As I have said several times, here in West Tennessee I open carry all the time. On purpose.

As Tennessee does not issue a CCW permit but a Handgun Carry Permit, open carry is legal and in some parts of the state, here in my part of West TN for example, the Sheriffs Department is used to is and they don't even bat an eye at someone open carrying.

It sure is nice to not have to worry about a cover garment when it is hot during the summer.

No if we can just get the park carry bill and restaurant carry bill to make through and be signed into law Tennessee would be just about the perfect state.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Amen Mike. I get ticked off every time I want to go out to eat. I've been giving Cracker Barrel a lot of business.
    I guess I've gotten to the comfort level where I don't think about having the gun on anymore. The only thing on my mind at that time was getting a nice cold coke. They're lucky I still had on pants I was so hot. :-)
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    No if we can just get the park carry bill and restaurant carry bill to make through and be signed into law Tennessee would be just about the perfect state.
    +2 to dunndw's Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by phaed View Post
    it's funny how far confidence can carry a person. if you are ever in a questionable situation, just act like you know what you are doing, and that you are supposed to be there, and no one will mess with you. if you are skiddish and unconfident, it brings the wolves. just human nature.

if you had realized it in the middle of it, and it caused you to look worried or guilty, the people would have had a different reaction. what sheep we are.
    That is so true. It is amazing where you can get if you just look confident and know where you are going.

In Tenn. those people behind the counter were probably packin just as much heat as you...if not more.

Man, I love the country lifestyle.
    John 15:13 - Greater love have no man, than he who is willing to lay down his life for a friend. (Let's just pray we BOTH come out alive)

If the guns kill then pencils misspell words!

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    You could get halfway there with a short move northward. We have the 51% law here in KY. Open carry is legal (permit or not). Still working on the parks issue, though.

Quite frankly, I think the most likely explanation is that the folks in the convinence store were just oblivious .

I "open carried" today too for about 2 minutes. I got out of my car and was unloading the stuff I got at the store and I walked up to my apartment got in and was putting my stuff away when I noticed in the mirror that my gun was in full view. My shirt must have ridden up on me in the car and I didn't check it when I got out.

Links