July 4th

July 4th

This is a discussion on July 4th within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As some of you know I just bought my first house and this is our first 4th of July in the house. Since I never ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: July 4th

July 4th

As some of you know I just bought my first house and this is our first 4th of July in the house. Since I never owned my house I never realized house nerve racking fire works can be. I was on edge the whole night because the fireworks sounded like gun shots to me this year. I don't know if it because I am more alert this year than last but man it sucks.

What do some people do to have the mind set that it is nothing but fireworks. I was outside last night and I seemed not to be as jumpy because I can see what is going on.

So what do you do for this night of gun shots oh I mean fireworks?
    “Do you have any idea how hard it would be to live with yourself if your loved ones were attacked and killed, and you had to stand there helplessly because you were unprepared for that day?”

Ricardo

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by elrey718 View Post
    If the noise is close enough to be an issue, you will be able to tell the difference between handgun fire and firecrackers.

Anyway, about 99% of what you will hear is harmless....
    Last edited by JD; July 4th, 2007 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Racial profiling and derogaroty statements.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    I try to sleep through the noise. This works pretty well, but I sometimes wake up for a particularly loud burst.

Whether to notice a sound is a decision, either subconscious or conscious.

I have no trouble sleeping through a thunderstorm. When my sons still lived at home and would come home late, I discovered that the sound of a key sliding into the front door lock would wake me instantly in my upstairs bed...

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    Seems I spend much of my time trying to calm one of my dogs - she goes wacky when the fireworks go off. She also doesn't like thunderstorms. The other two don't care for the noise but stay relatively calm.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

Gunshots in my area are not that uncommon. Not because of crime, but we are kinda sub rural (used to be rural) and everyone lives on acreage, so sometimes people shoot their guns for one reason or another. Probably dispatching snakes or pests I guess.

I treat it like lightning. If you hear the sound of a distant burst and haven't been hit by anything you don't need to worry. The bullet would have hit before you heard the sound anyway. If it sounds like rifle fire, (which only occurs on the 40 acres behind me, usually prior to hunting season) I do listen up for the wizzing sound of rounds passing if there are folow up shots. If I don't hear any, I just ignore it and figure whoever is shooting is doing it for a reason and it's none of my business. Same goes for fireworks. Let freedom ring. Live and let live.

Now if their projectiles were coming my way, it would be a different story all togeher.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Fireworks? Put on the AC, earplugs and watch L&O reruns.

The dogs are cool with it-the dobie even chases them dancing sparkly things.
    Why is it that you always find things at the last place you looked?
    Because when you find something-you stop looking-Mooch

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by elrey718 View Post
    First, relax. It's not like statistics for armed robberies with shots fired goes up starkly on Independence Day. But I recommend staying inside if possible, because you do have those morons who think it's okay to fire guns into the air to "celebrate." I wish there was a spell we could cast to make their own bullets find them on the way down. People get maimed and killed when idiots do this.

VIP Member
    WOW, So you heard us lastnight?? I'm sorry to have bothered you. We were at my sisters house in Illinois and shot guns until it got dark, then brought out the fireworks. I'm sure everyone around was glad when we stopped. We made some noise.
    I guess I've never really thought much about it being gunfire on the night of the fourth.

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    Go out on the front porch, poor a good glass of wine or beer, your choice, and enjoy the show.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

I get a cold beer, a comfortable seat on my porch, and enjoy the fireworks my neighbors have bought!
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

I don't really have to worry about fireworks in my neighborhood...because it is illegal to shoot fireworks within Oklahoma City city limits. But there are areas here like churches that put on some good shows, so if I can see them, i'll sit out with a cigar and a cold one and enjoy the free show.
    Better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6

Aviation Machinist's Mate USN 93-97
    NAF Atsugi, Japan CVW 5
    CV62 USS Independence
    HS-12 Wyverns, VS-21 Fighting Redtails

Having just spent $5k on a new roof, I now am nervous about some of the local rockets landing atop my house...funny how things change when you have more at stake...heh.

That being said, I enjoy all the sights and sounds around the Fourth, for it is a reminder to celebrate and give thanks for the courage and foresight of our founding fathers.

Happy Fourth of July!
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

It's pretty rural where I live. Hearing gunshots isn't unusual. There's just more of them on the 4th. My wife will will be kept awake tonight, but I won't.

One of the few advantages of being half deaf. Once I unplug the artificial ears, it takes a pretty loud noise to get my attention.

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    First, relax. It's not like statistics for armed robberies with shots fired goes up starkly on Independence Day. But I recommend staying inside if possible, because you do have those morons who think it's okay to fire guns into the air to "celebrate." I wish there was a spell we could cast to make their own bullets find them on the way down. People get maimed and killed when idiots do this.
    So bullets do come down? I always wondered what happened to those things when they left the barrel of my 300 Win Mag at 3400fps. Great point on what goes up comes down, and most folks do not give it a second thought about it. Always entertaining to watch those idiots in the Mid East racking off those AK's in the air. We never get to see the body count of those who catch them on the way down...Go figure.
    I know, I know, you are smarter than me..just ask you..

Some lady last year in Tampa took a round in the shoulder/chest, 7.62x39, that fell out of the sky. It still had enough punch to penetrate 6 inches, and seriously wound the lady. She was outside on her patio watching the fireworks.
    كافر(Infidel)
    He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146
    German philosopher (1844 - 1900)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links