Carrying Gun and Baby

Carrying Gun and Baby

This is a discussion on Carrying Gun and Baby within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As most of you know I'm a new Daddy. Well my boy turned 1 month old this week and my wife and I went out ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Carrying Gun and Baby

Senior Moderator

Carrying Gun and Baby

As most of you know I'm a new Daddy. Well my boy turned 1 month old this week and my wife and I went out to eat with her parents. We were going in the restrutant and I have my son in my arms. I thought what would I do if I need to draw. I wouldn't drop him that's for sure.

My carry methods are Smartcarry or tuckable both require 2 hands to draw. I can IWB with a cover garment and that might be my best solution. We got a Maya Wrap (ours is one in olive drab #58) and I have tried it with him on my weak side. I can sling him to the back easily and he stays secure in the sling.

It is not possible to have my wife always carry him and until she becomes a citizen or we move to a different county she can't CCW. If any one has any thoughts or experinces please let me know.

I would recommend the sling to new parents. I can put him in it and do all types of work around the house.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

VIP Member
    Number 1 priority has to be getting the kid out of harms way. I'd carry anyway you can draw 1 handed- as I do anyway- but understand that evasion became even more important. I could see me being shot in the back while I ran as more probable than getting into a gun fight while I held a child.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    As most of you know I'm a new Daddy. Well my boy turned 1 month old this week and my wife and I went out to eat with her parents. We are going in the resturant and I have my son in my arms. I thought what would I due if I need to draw. I wouldn't drop him that's for sure.

My carry methods are Smartcarry or tuckable both require 2 hands to draw. I can IWB with a cover garment and that might be my best solution. We got a Maya Wrap (ours is one in olive drab #58) and I have tried it with him on my weak side. I can sling him to the back easily and he stays secure in the sling.

It is not possible to have my wife always carry him and until she becomes a citzen or we move to a different county she can't CCW. If any one has any thoughts or experinces please let me know.

I would recommend the sling to new parents. I can put him in it and do all types of work around the house.
    I can't imagine being in a gun fight with a baby in my arms ...I think that priority one would be to get the baby to a safe place or give the baby to somebody else and tell them to run. I don't know that there is any way to avoid risk in a situation like that, but trying to shoot while still carrying the child can only be worse. Free of the baby, your carry methods are back to your requirements before your new child arrived... Just my 2-cents.

Brian

Senior Moderator
    Well my first priority has always been to not to get in a gunfight. I'm just wondering what I would do if I had no other choice.

If my wife has my son see would go one way and I would go another shooting and moving to draw fire away from them.

I guess If I'm holding my son I'll place my fate in God's Hands (which I do anyway)
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Assistant Administrator
    I guess only measure is to plan a hold by whatever means - safe and secure but - keeping strong hand free/available. Plus of course more practice at one-handed clearance of garment for a draw stroke.

Heaven forbid you'd ever have to defend while carrying lil one but - best to plan always even if odds are remote.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

The little one should spend as much time in the stroller as possible when going around to minimize the time you are unable to properly respond. There are times when you must hold them, feedings and the like. When you do you are vulnerable, period. Nothing you can do will avert that.

All you can do in life is to minimize the odds against you. There are plenty of times when one cannot carry. All people are quick to point out in those instances that situational awareness is your first and best defense. The same is true when carrying and equally so with a child. Trouble rarely comes from nowhere, those who say it does just missed the signs. Learn to spot them to give you time to respond/evade.

As already said job number one is getting the child to safety first. Doing anything that could draw fire your way while holding a baby is the height of stupidity. Short of a terrorists with an AK openning up on a crowd I can think of very few reasons to become an active participant in a gunfight with a child in your arms.

I use a Baby Bjorn...hands free
    If not that then I'm using a stroller 95% of the time
    Depending on the situation, the ground, age of the baby, etc I would absolutely consider dropping my child.

Put a BUG IWB of the Huggies?
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

You have been given good advice. You need to be extra aware of your surroundings. I would never get into a gun fight with a baby in my arms. I would get out of Dodge or find COVER (hard cover). Only fight as a last resort.
    My son in law used those baby slings. He had a hard time breaking the grand kids of wanting to be in it. Use a stroller. Congradulations and enjoy.
    Semper Fi

Slings are awesome, I slung both my son and daughter... and we'll see with my next son.

I'd have to agree with bugging out if the poop hit the turbine...

VIP Member
    He's a "man child"! Let him carry his own gun!

No wait...

Seriously, as already stated, first order of business is getting him out of there!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by conservaDude View Post
    I can't imagine being in a gun fight with a baby in my arms ...I think that priority one would be to get the baby to a safe place or give the baby to somebody else and tell them to run. I don't know that there is any way to avoid risk in a situation like that, but trying to shoot while still carrying the child can only be worse. Free of the baby, your carry methods are back to your requirements before your new child arrived... Just my 2-cents.

Brian
    Child or not - isn't our responsibility to get to a safe place regardless? with the exception of my home, or when I am shielding my family, I will always retreat to a safe location.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Musketeer View Post
    The little one should spend as much time in the stroller as possible when going around to minimize the time you are unable to properly respond. There are times when you must hold them, feedings and the like. When you do you are vulnerable, period. Nothing you can do will avert that.
    I can't always agree with that. Placing a child in a stroller as often as possible makes it to easy to go into condition white for your child. To many times I have seen parents turn their back on children in strollers for only what they feel is a brief moment, that turns out to be a minute or more.

As a parent of two small children (4 yrs, and 18 months) - its a tough call - hard to know what is the best solution.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by LBrombach View Post
    Put a BUG IWB of the Huggies?

― Robert A. Heinlein,

You need to use a magnum dose of avoidance!
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links