One of my favorite places is off limits! - Page 2

One of my favorite places is off limits!

This is a discussion on One of my favorite places is off limits! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I worked at a Lowe's RDC for a couple months and WOZA, talk about paranoid You could NOT bring in a butter knife and had ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I worked at a Lowe's RDC for a couple months and WOZA, talk about paranoid

You could NOT bring in a butter knife and had to pass through a security checkpoint with a metal detector and then if it went off you were searched via a hand held metal detector. They said it was for employee safety, but truckers did not have to go through the metal detectors and their semi's were not searched. If you got caught with a butter knife about freaked with me carrying a Emerson folder. Lowe's had a strict no firearms policy and if you had a firearm in your vehicle in the parking lot would be fired without a second thought. I was told one guy was fired cuz he had some ammo in a saddlebag of his motorcycle, but nobody ever figured out how security found the ammo in the 1st place.

Personally I like HD cuz due to the military discount and that they hire vets quicker and easier than Lowe's along with it seems like while they are more of a "warehouse" they have good quality stock & the employees are friendlier than Lowe's.

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    My theory is since Ohio is still a relatively new RTC state you have run into a manager that has posted this because he/she believed all of the anti-gun malarky published in such FINE newspapers like the Cleveland Plain Dealer. They are afraid that the aisles of the store will "run red with blood" from all of the shootouts caused by folks that carry concealed firearms since we all have a Dirty Harry/Rambo complex.

BTW: Wasn't Youngstown in the top 10 list as one of the most dangerous U.S. cities?
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

The HD closest to me in Traverse City has no such signs..and business wise it always has more traffic and business compared to Lowes..

So far in Michigan, I don't think I've seen one business yet thats posted a no carry sign..of course here where I live when you buy gas we still pump first and pay inside...

Hmm, I was recently in both HD and Lowes and didn't notice a sign. I'll have to double check next time just to make sure. I'm in Las Vegas by the way.
    USA Carry - Concealed Carry Information, Reciprocity Maps, News & Articles, Forums, Directory and more!

No signs here, but it wouldn't matter in FL anyway.

Our Lowes has a better lumber and building selection, and they each carry or have a better selection on a few different type items. So I shop at both.

But both stores have equally horrendous customer service.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud White View Post
    HD did that here for awhile i got a manager at lowes at asked them what they thought he said he was cool with it as he carried.. when i left the lowes they had a sign that said CCW's Welcome unlike home depot..

within 3 weeks the HD sign was gone
    Sweet story!

It must be the coolest thing ever, to go to a store that not only does not have a sign forbidding CCW, but actually has a sign welcoming it! Maaan, I'd like to see that around here. But the only places I know of that have CPZ signs are The Sports Authority and Brandsmart. Idiots.

I'm a retired contractor, and I will try to avoid Home Cheapo like the plague. Not only have they driven out some of the better Mom & Pop lumber yards in my area, but they are/were competing in the same business I was in, home improvements and remodeling. Why support my competition.
    The time (=money) it takes to push a cart through miles of isles to pick through an already picked through pile of lumber just wasn't worth it, compared to calling a guy that knew my voice and what jobsite I was working on to have an order brought to me, at no extra charge.

Check out and support your local family owned lumber yards, electrical supply, hardware stores, etc., they will offer better service and may be willing to deliver and supply other value added services you won't get at the Big Box stores.

Thanks for letting me vent.

I've found that the prices in Lowes are usually quite a bit better too.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by tegemu View Post
    I've found that the prices in Lowes are usually quite a bit better too.
    Not where I'm at. Home Depot quit giving their military discount (10%), but Lowe's is about that much higher than HD to begin with.

I've shopped at both places in 4 states. HD Customer Service is hit-or-miss. Lowe's CS sucks categorically.

A friend's wife used to be an Assistant Manager at a Lowe's. She said folks would call the front desk from inside the store because they couldn't find help on the floor. She didn't have enough horsepower in the company to stop/change the amount of suck factor, so she moved on to another job.

Quote Originally Posted by robere View Post
    We've had a Lowes here for many years. Home Depot moved in about 3-4 years ago and I don't know how it stays in business. Everyone goes to Lowes. I'll have to look next time I'm in that area, but I've never noticed it posted. If it is, there goes even more business..Let us know if you hear anymore.
    Sounds like the Home Depot on Ring Road. I can't see how they are still open. The only good thing is you can always park up close-there's no one there.

Dave

The HD here is NOT posted. Not that it matters from a legal standpoint since they must verbally ask you to leave and you must refuse before there is ANY problem.

I KNOW HD has a very strict NO GUNS FOR EMPLOYEES policy. My friend Aaron worked there for ~6 months and they told him in orientation that there are no guns on the property. This specifically included the parking lot and vehicles. They used people going hunting before / after work as an unacceptable excuse. They said it was immediate termination.

In MN, they are specifically prohibited from baning guns in the parking lot and Permit holders are specifically allowed to have them there even if other parts of the property are off limits due to employment policy. Of course, you get the justice you can afford and the only way you could get any damages out of them is if they're stupid enough to tell you you were fired for having a gun in the parking lot in your locked car. My suspicion is that they'd find something else.
    For MN specific carry information and a great shooting community, check out forum.twincitiescarry.com

Sponsor
    Home Depot customer service line told me that this a corporate policy and all of their stores are CPZs.
    Now I'm pissed!
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Quote Originally Posted by luvmy40 View Post
    Home Depot customer service line told me that this a corporate policy and all of their stores are CPZs.
    Now I'm pissed!
    All stores nationally or just Ohio?

I can't believe it's nationally...

Sponsor
    They said it was corporate policy. To me that means nationally. If you have good preemption in your state it doesn't mean much but in Ohio it is a felony for me to carry in any home depot now that I have been informed of their no guns policy. And that means goodbye CCW if busted.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Ok, I'm going to go out and check my local Home Depot, I have to get a price on some fence anyway, I'll report back what they tell me.

I usually use Lowes as mentioned previously, but do go to HD if stuck on that side of town.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links