SHTF Legal Representation

This is a discussion on SHTF Legal Representation within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have submitted my paperwork for a CCW and while I'm waiting for approval, I thought that the next logical step would be to find ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SHTF Legal Representation

SHTF Legal Representation

I have submitted my paperwork for a CCW and while I'm waiting for approval, I thought that the next logical step would be to find a local attorney who had experience with defensive shootings, God forbid that day should ever come. However, in talking to local shooters I've heard comments such as "you don't actually plan to shoot someone do you?" this type of comment is recurring and it makes me wonder honestly, how many of you actually have thought about this and carry a business card or phone # of a competent defense attorney? I am a stable law abiding citizen with no intention of causing harm to anyone, but still don't you have to have a worst case scenario plan? If so, what criteria did you use to select an attorney? and what advice were you given should you ever find yourself in this situation? Sorry for all the questions but this is very important to me.

2. Remove Ads

Instead of looking for a "defense attorney", you need to find a gun rights attorney. Huge difference between an attorney who defends DUI cases and an attorney who defends "good shoot" cases. Check with whatever is the best 2nd Amendments rights organization in your state for a suggested attorney.

And yes, anyone who carries should have an attorney's name programmed into your cell phone. It's the fool who doesn't.
    Member of the National Rifle Association's Board of Directors
    www.BuckeyeFirearms.org Buckeye Firearms Association Central OH Chair
    NRA Instructor/CCW Instructor/Realtor
    2009 NRA Sybil Ludington Women's Freedom Award Recipient

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    My attorney is a former prosicutor who left office ( term limits ) and now is in private practice . He is also a lifetime nra member , and shooting buddy lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by Linda View Post
    Instead of looking for a "defense attorney", you need to find a gun rights attorney. Huge difference between an attorney who defends DUI cases and an attorney who defends "good shoot" cases. Check with whatever is the best 2nd Amendments rights organization in your state for a suggested attorney.

And yes, anyone who carries should have an attorney's name programmed into your cell phone. It's the fool who doesn't.

I think this is definitely good advice. I'm a general practice attorney, and there is definitely a MAJOR distinction between the criminal defense work I do, ie. assault cases, theft, DUI, drug offenses and the like, and defending a "good shoot" case. I could handle a good shoot case, but would generally want to refer that out to someone with an area of concentration with that type of matter.

VIP Member
    You might want to check under the "forum help and extras" on this forum. There are some ccw attorney's listed there.

I think this is definitely good advice. I'm a general practice attorney, and there is definitely a MAJOR distinction between the criminal defense work I do, ie. assault cases, theft, DUI, drug offenses and the like, and defending a "good shoot" case. I could handle a good shoot case, but would generally want to refer that out to someone with an area of concentration with that type of matter.
    That is a great plan , Most likely what my Attny would do , He is howeaver my first legal contact point , his job is to protect my rights and " get me out of jail " as needed not go to trial . I will trust his judgement on when and whom to call in as the " hired gun " , or as i refer to it the " pitbull with aids " for the courtroom dramatics .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .

1943 - 2009
    A quick search turned up at least seven previous threads discussing CCW attorneys.

Here's just one of them:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...=CCW+Attorneys

The forum search function is your friend.

When youíre wounded and left on Afghanistanís plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

6000' above sea level - Albuquerque NM USA
    Instead of looking for a "defense attorney", you need to find a gun rights attorney.
    In my opinion as both a defense attorney who's handled dozens of murder cases and a "gun rights attorney," I feel that this is a little naive. You need a defense attorney, and a good one who has handled serious felony cases. Gun rights are not the primary issue, and getting hung up on finding a "gun rights attorney" is going to seriously narrow the field of prospects. For instance, I know a couple dozen attorneys who would be great at handling murder charges, but only three of them (myself included) would I call "gun rights attorneys." (Furthermore, I know a couple of "gun rights attorneys" who don't know squat about criminal law. Not who you want helping you in this instance.) I worry that too much focus on the "gun rights" aspect will distract a licensee from finding a good criminal defense lawyer, which is what he'd need.

Dolphin, as the Captain mentions, this comes up frequently here. Search on "lawyer" or "attorney" in the title, and you'll find several detailed discussions. I'm sorry that I don't have time this morning to repeat my past advice, but I'm sure you'll be able to find it easily.

Erich , While i wholly agree with you on having an attny who is well versed in trials , and trials for violent felonys at that . Just as a for instance here localy there is a case that may well test colorados " make my day " as it is so dubbed statutes . It started as reported as a home invasion , but since has morphed into a collection attempt on drug deals .. only the dead fella dont have a story at this point , and who knows where it will go .. Were i at that house when the dust up happened ( it seems it was a small party with 8 to 10 witnesses all with different storys now ) , i personaly would consider a legal pitbull with aids to come in and represent me . Now you live in a bigger town than i , but its hard to find legal talent up to a complex case no matter where you live .. that is why i have this old country (Former ) DA who knows when its in my best intrests to call someone , and as an aside if i am out of state i still call him , he then gets the good old boy network going for me a local , while i drink coffee , say yes sir , no sir , may i have more coffee sir .. my attorney should be here shortly .

If you know an attorney you trust who is well respected and has been around the block, call them and they will refer you to the best attorney for your issue if it is not in their area of expertise.

I worked for a local attorney for the last 3 years and he is who I would call. He has practiced here since 1969. He doesn't do any litigation at all anymore and handles real estate and probate now, but he knows every attorney and judge who has ever practiced in the tri-county area and can refer me to the best one for whatever my legal needs happen to be at the time.

I know several attorneys personally, but would not hire one without consulting him first because he knows everything about evey attorney around here from the time most of them got out of law school.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

I would assume that it was implied by the phrase "gun rights attorney" used in this context that the recommendation concerned a criminal defense attorney with this area of concentration.

Sgt , my point exactly LOL . You and I are lucky to have a personal relationship with ( dare i say it ?? ) Moral lawyers . They may not be the best choice for a use of force case , but are the best choice to have on that pre programmed cell phone . you may well have to stfu for a couple more hours , but when your representation shows up they will be dammed well qualified .

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    Sgt , my point exactly LOL . You and I are lucky to have a personal relationship with ( dare i say it ?? ) Moral lawyers . They may not be the best choice for a use of force case , but are the best choice to have on that pre programmed cell phone . you may well have to stfu for a couple more hours , but when your representation shows up they will be dammed well qualified .
    Yep, I was lucky to have worked for two of the most straight up honest and respected attorneys who ever lived. I have never heard a bad word from anyone about my old boss, and that kind of reputation is pretty much unheard of with lawyers who by profession naturally make enemies.

When I move to Kansas I'll be out of the good ole boy system that I have been surrounded with for most of my life. Of course, I'm going there to go to law school, so I would imagine I'll get to know some attorneys there too.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

SGT going to law school ? you poor dammed naive fool LOL .

Quote Originally Posted by Wits-Z View Post
    I would assume that it was implied by the phrase "gun rights attorney" used in this context that the recommendation concerned a criminal defense attorney with this area of concentration.
    Precisely what I meant.

A little more elaboration: I would want someone who knows the concealed carry, Castle Doctrine, affirmative defense, etc. types of laws inside and out representing me.
    Last edited by Linda; July 6th, 2007 at 11:43 PM.
    Member of the National Rifle Association's Board of Directors
    www.BuckeyeFirearms.org Buckeye Firearms Association Central OH Chair
    NRA Instructor/CCW Instructor/Realtor
    2009 NRA Sybil Ludington Women's Freedom Award Recipient

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links