Positive LEO Encounter

This is a discussion on Positive LEO Encounter within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; About an hour ago, I was travelling on Fairfax County Parkway coming from Sterling, VA and heading to Reston, VA when a Fairfax County Police ...

Thread: Positive LEO Encounter

Positive LEO Encounter

About an hour ago, I was travelling on Fairfax County Parkway coming from Sterling, VA and heading to Reston, VA when a Fairfax County Police Officer pulled me over.

This came a quite a surprise since I wasn't speeding or doing anything else questionable.

I rolled down my drivers side window and turned off the engine. Since it was bright sunshine, I did not turn on the dome light.

I carry my ID in a small leather ID holder in my left front pocket. I pulled my drivers license and CHP and had them in my hands (both of which were on the steering wheel) when the officer approached.

I handed my license and permit to the officer and before I could say anything, he saw the permit and said "do you have a firearm on you now?"

I said, "Yes sir. I have a revolver in a holster in my right front pocket."

He said, "OK, as long as it stays there, we're fine."

Then he asked me if I knew that I had a brake light out; I didn't and informed him so.

He took the license and permit back to his patrol car and when he returned he presented me with a warning ticket and wished me a good day.

I said the same to him and we parted company.

I figure the warning ticket is to get it on record that I had been informed about the brake light so if next month they pull me over, they know I have no excuse.

While I don't know the particular officer's feeling about citizens carrying, he was very polite and professional. This has been my experience with Fairfax County Police.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Good to hear , Most " beat cops " and " Road deputys " dont have an issue with ccw , the problems happen at a higher pay scale , just like most " local " elected officals , they only get froggy on gunrights when they grow so much they are not heald accountable, and it becomes a " newsbyte " that they can see themselves on tv .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    Good to hear , Most " beat cops " and " Road deputys " dont have an issue with ccw , the problems happen at a higher pay scale , just like most " local " elected officals , they only get froggy on gunrights when they grow so much they are not heald accountable, and it becomes a " newsbyte " that they can see themselves on tv .
    I've noticed that too. If you watch this, it seems that most of the anti-gunners are of the appointed (Chiefs and Sheriffs) type (also from the east coast) rather than the promoted type (Captains, Sergeants, lieutenants).
    "When a man attempts to deal with me by force, I answer himóby force.
    "... No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had the right to choose: his own." -John Galt, Atlas Shrugged

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Sweet. Glad to hear we have some good LEOs in VA :)

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I dont have an answer other than if your a PoliSlut ( mods feel free to edit the word ) you go where funding is .. there is a small amount of rich folks who are intrested in gun rights in the wrong way ... If you can get on tv you can have funding . The right " newsbyte " is worth quite a bit of funding later in life .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Paul, you should drop a line to the LEO's CO about what a good trooper he's got.

Shame on you Paul...
    When is your annual inspection due?

Glad you had a positive experience. Sooooooo did you fix the brake light yet?

Got to love those Fairfax County LEO's. Pulling someone over just for a brake light. Funny how many times I have seen people drive by LEO's with no lights on at night and nothing happens.

Glad that you had a positive experience. Pro 2A LEO here!!!

I would like to see firearms in the hands of more law abiding citizens.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

cagueits - I plan to write a letter this weekend.

flmitchell - funny you mention it; I got my car inspected about two weeks ago. Either this is a funny coincidence or the guy who inspected it was a sleep during the process.

argus - Yep. Picked up a new light yesterday afternoon and put it in. I guess I'm legal now.

I think the attitude of the "higher ups" is generally due to the anti-gun politicians that appoint them. If the brass is not anti-gun, they don't get the job.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    I've noticed in your area there are a few highways that run through national parks. If you get pulled in the park but you are on the "through" highway are you breaking the law?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

I just recently had an experience very much like yours with a Kentucky State Trooper. Professional, polite, all-business with no "attitude", it COULD NOT HAVE BEEN more encouraging to know that LEOs of this character are enforcing the laws of The Commonwealth. I immediately sent a note to the Post Commander expressing my appreciation.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    I've noticed in your area there are a few highways that run through national parks. If you get pulled in the park but you are on the "through" highway are you breaking the law?
    I believe you would be breaking the law. For example, the GW Parkway is under the direct control of the National Park Service.

Your only alternatives are either to avoid such roads or unload your gun and lock it away in your trunk while you are going through the park.

The VCDL has been trying to get this changed but unfortunately our leaders in DC don't seem to be concerned about this.

Links