Interesting - from BBC web site - Page 2

Interesting - from BBC web site

This is a discussion on Interesting - from BBC web site within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Sig229 Half of my Family is from Scotland. Now that Scotland is starting to gain its independence from century's of English bloody ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig229 View Post
    Half of my Family is from Scotland.
    Now that Scotland is starting to gain its independence from century's of English bloody rule, Scotland may get its own constitution.

And hopefully, the right to defend oneself WITH a firearm will be written in it.
    Have you discussed private gun ownership with any Scots lately? I've found them to be less polite than the English in letting you know how crazy they think our gun laws are. Dunblane is fresh in their minds.

Quote Originally Posted by brokenbow View Post
    Not a ground swell here but I am currently in my second month waiting on my OK ccw as a result of the VT shootings. I have also convinced several others of the need to be able to defend themselves and others if necessary. This is my first post but I've been lurking for a while. Just thought that I would let you know that we are waking up.
    Welcome, it's good to see more good folks making themselves safer. Common sense will go a long way toward bolstering our ranks.
    There have been several anti's change their mind after a close call with a bad guy. Not that you were an anti. (I reread this post after posting and didn't like the way it sounded, it was never my intent to say you were apposed to guns, sorry) enjoy your newfound security.

Senior Moderator
    The article is quite a departure from normal press. It's a good article and maybe it's indicative that people are starting to see the truth.

One thing that bothered me is that, once again from our own 'campus' police chief saying that students carrying guns in the classroom won't work because they might freeze, make a mistake, etc. (all paraphrased), but what's the alternative, sit there and be shot?

The armed students are there; they know who the bad guy is, he's the one shooting students begging for their life. The campus police have to sort through everything which takes precious time and costs precious lives.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    The article is quite a departure from normal press. It's a good article and maybe it's indicative that people are starting to see the truth.
    I thought so. I'm just not sure that was the Beeb's intention or how it will be seen by British readers. Looked good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by CopperKnight View Post
    Don't care what they think. Look what they have done to their own country. The article makes sense to me.
    Well the world is becoming smaller. I fear that crazy gun bans in places like Britain do our own gun rights no good. I'm concerned about any international movement or push to ban gun ownership. I'd rather see people like the Brits, the Canadians and the Ozzies have the same rights to keep and bear arms that we do. Would be better for all of us.

The article didn't express an editorial bias for or against citizens' or students' right to self-defense, and it wasn't well constructed either. I'm no English teacher, but the article's title suggested that it was focused on the subject of carrying of firearms by students on campus. But then its first half presented pro-gun opinions and examples from both general citizens and a student. Then it only covered the no-guns opinion of a single school security chief as it specifically related to on-campus student carry. The article should have limited itself to a discussion of campus carry or should have broadened to a discussion of firearm carry in the broad public arena and presented both sides from that sphere.

Quote Originally Posted by dls56 View Post
    Welcome, it's good to see more good folks making themselves safer. Common sense will go a long way toward bolstering our ranks.
    There have been several anti's change their mind after a close call with a bad guy. Not that you were an anti. (I reread this post after posting and didn't like the way it sounded, it was never my intent to say you were apposed to guns, sorry) enjoy your newfound security.
    Thank you. Never been an "anti". I've grown up around guns and have hunted all of my life. I hunt year round with guns and archery (lots of pigs year around), I just never had any use for a pistol 'cause I could buy a good rifle for the same price. My ears are still "poping" from when I pulled my head out of my butt, and realized that this, (VT) crap can happen to me. I may just have ONE chance in a lifetime to save my life. I need to be prepared if I am given that ONE chance.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    Well the world is becoming smaller. I fear that crazy gun bans in places like Britain do our own gun rights no good. I'm concerned about any international movement or push to ban gun ownership.
    You speak the truth. There are plenty of international movements afoot through the UN which are trying to be foisted upon us.

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    I'd rather see people like the Brits, the Canadians and the Ozzies have the same rights to keep and bear arms that we do. Would be better for all of us.
    As would I. I hope those who read the article take it to heart and think it through logically, but we know many people live off of emotion and not logic. Logic won't win out if a person doesn't want it to.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Some of the British press have seen the light on gun bans, they just haven't been able to convince the guvt or the masses (yet). They've had a lot of home grown terror over there in years past, but I wonder if recent events will open some eyes. Can't shoot a suicide bomber, but you sure can plug a failed bomber as he runs away!
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    but you sure can plug a failed bomber as he runs away!
    Or a nut case slashing people with a sword or machete (like what happened in Japan not long ago) or a terrorist who got their hands on a gun.

I hope one day the crazy British will see the light. But as long as most of therm support the Royal family who really do nothing for the county but wast hundreds of millions of pounds in tax payers money each year, I dont know how logical thinking they can possible be!
    Primary Carry Gun: Sig Sauer 229~R (.40cal w/ Golden Saber JHP's)

A close friend just got back from a month-long family vacation in Europe. He mentioned that the BBC makes our NPR/PBS sound like a bunch of Young Republicans! So please take WHATEVER the BBC reports with a proverbial grain of salt. The once Proud British Empire is now in perfect Lock (Goose) Step with the New World Order.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    The once Proud British Empire is now in perfect Lock (Goose) Step with the New World Order.
    Doesn't make sense.

A pivotal point came with Bush’s 11 September 1990 "Toward a New World Order" speech (full text)to a joint session of Congress. This time it was Bush, not Gorbachev, whose idealism was compared to Woodrow Wilson, and to FDR at the creation of the UN. Key points picked up in the press were:
    • Commitment to U.S. strength, such that it can lead the world toward rule of law, rather than use of force. The Gulf crisis was seen as a reminder that the U.S. must continue to lead, and that military strength does matter, but that the resulting new world order should make military force less important in the future.
    • Soviet-American partnership in cooperation toward making the world safe for democracy, making possible the goals of the UN for the first time since its inception. Some countered that this was unlikely, and that ideological tensions would remain, such that the two superpowers could be partners of convenience for specific and limited goals only. The inability of the USSR to project force abroad was another factor in skepticism toward such a partnership.
    • Another caveat raised was that the new world order was based not on U.S.-Soviet cooperation, but really on Bush-Gorbachev cooperation, and that the personal diplomacy made the entire concept exceedingly fragile.
    • Future cleavages were to be economic, not ideological, with the First and Second world cooperating to contain regional instability in the Third World. Russia could become an ally against economic assaults from Asia, Islamic terrorism, and drugs from Latin America.
    • Soviet integration into world economic institutions, such as the G7, and establishment of ties with the European Community.
    • Restoration of German sovereignty and Cambodia’s acceptance of the UN Security Council’s peace plan on the day previous to the speech were seen as signs of what to expect in the new world order
    • The reemergence of Germany and Japan as members of the great powers, and concomitant reform of the UN Security Council was seen as necessary for great power cooperation and reinvigorated UN leadership
    • Europe was seen as taking the lead on building their own world order, while the U.S. was relegated to the sidelines. The rationale for U.S. presence on the continent was vanishing, and the Gulf crisis was seen as incapable of rallying Europe. Instead Europe was discussing the European Community, the CSCE, and relations with the USSR. Gorbachev even proposed an all-European security council to replace the CSCE, in effect superseding the increasingly irrelevant NATO.
    • A very few postulated a bi-polar new order of U.S. power and UN moral authority, the first as global policeman, the second as global judge and jury. The order would be collectivist, in which decisions and responsibility would be shared.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_world_order

"Our officers have a level of life experience which students can't possibly have at the age of 21 or 22."
    I guess he missed the fact that we have folks serving in Iraq, Afganistan, and other places at age 18!
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links