Question on applying for CCW in Florida, I dont know if i will get accepted.

This is a discussion on Question on applying for CCW in Florida, I dont know if i will get accepted. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Alright guys, I'm about to get real with you all. So I'm a person in substance abuse recovery, and a few concerns came up in ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Question on applying for CCW in Florida, I dont know if i will get accepted.

Alright guys, I'm about to get real with you all. So I'm a person in substance abuse recovery, and a few concerns came up in apply for applying for my permit when i hit a year clean.
    I have been charged with domestic violence (lame charge came home drunk and my mom wouldnt let me leave the house and kept trying to push me inside, cop pulled up as i pushed her out of my way to get her off me. In FL if cops see someone touched for a domestic call someone has to go), but It was dismissed before i even saw the judge.

I have been baceracted (over dosed on xanax and southern comfort, was considered a danger to myself not a danger to other)

And if they look at my insurance records It'll show that I've been to a few rehabs, the Last one i went to will be a year ago on 12/23/16

Can i still get my CCW? heres a link of the website that made me concerned

Eligibility Requirements / Concealed Weapon License / Licensing / Divisions & Offices / Home - Florida Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services

edit to add more information, I have never been arrested for possesion of drugs, I Chose to go to rehab for help, it wasnt court ordered. And i completed the baceraction with out issue and they released me.
    I will have a year sober on chirstmas eve of this year. And I have no convictions on my record at all.

please give me some good news guys.

Speaking as someone that's been clean for more than a few 24 hour periods and has also been through rehab, I had no trouble with my CPL in Michigan. Since the domestic violence charge was dismissed it should not be an issue, and if the rehab was voluntary it also shouldn't hold you back. To be certain, ask an attorney that handles 2nd amendment issues in your county many will give you a free 30 minute consultation and that may be all that you need.

Everyone you meet knows something you don't.
    - H. Jackson Brown
    Everyone you meet knows something you don't.
    -H. Jackson Brown

Quote Originally Posted by slim_jim View Post
    Alright guys, I'm about to get real with you all. So I'm a person in substance abuse recovery, and a few concerns came up in apply for applying for my permit when i hit a year clean.
    I have been charged with domestic violence (lame charge came home drunk and my mom wouldnt let me leave the house and kept trying to push me inside, cop pulled up as i pushed her out of my way to get her off me. In FL if cops see someone touched for a domestic call someone has to go), but It was dismissed before i even saw the judge.

I have been baceracted (over dosed on xanax and southern comfort, was considered a danger to myself not a danger to other)

And if they look at my insurance records It'll show that I've been to a few rehabs, the Last one i went to will be a year ago on 12/23/16

I will have a year sober on chirstmas eve of this year.

Can i still get my CCW? heres a link of the website that made me concerned

Eligibility Requirements / Concealed Weapon License / Licensing / Divisions & Offices / Home - Florida Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services
    You don't say when the committal under the Baker Act occurred. If it was within the past 3 years you will certainly be disqualified as you are certainly ineligible.

If not, with everything else you have going on, you may need to consult with an attorney if you are disqualified as it's not as black and white.

The DV incident, if it occurred exactly as you described, is not a factor.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Best advice we can give you is talk to a lawyer. Any LEGAL advice you might get here other than that will be worth exactly what you have paid for it. Some of our County Sheriffs are NOT very 2A friendly.

Good Luck.
    The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it's natural manure. - T. Jefferson

Thank you guys, I apperciate it, I'm actually good friends with the cop who baceracted me so I might just go ask him. He wants me to go with him to school and talk about addiction and getting clean and all that. And i got baceracted 3 days before i went into rehab so it would have been on 12/20/15. I just dont want to spend to apply and get denied.

And yes the DV went as said, my mom didnt want them to arrest but they had too, she got me lawyer and he got it dismissed. It was dismissed because i went to rehab on my own free will, it does say on the police report that i was intoxicated when it happened.

I also got released within the 72 hour time frame and i need to check but im pretty i wasnt diagnosed with any mental issues
    Last edited by slim_jim; October 17th, 2016 at 05:44 PM.

PJH
    As others have said, your best course of action is probably going to be to speak with a qualified attorney, preferably one who has experience dealing with cases related to CCW, especially with the Baker Act situation: Adjudicated Incapacitated Or Committed To A Mental Institution / Disqualifying Conditions / Concealed Weapon License / Licensing / Divisions & Offices / Home - Florida Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services

Best of luck to you.

Distinguished Member Array Doogie's Avatar
    Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids! C. Eastwood

I read somewhere that you are supposed to be clean from drugs for 5 years to purchase a gun. But I was probably drunk when I read that. Don't know Florida conceal laws.

615x24 here
    Instymp likes this.

please give me some good news guys.
    so..which media outlet do you work for?? just askin.....
    Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids! C. Eastwood

VIP Member
    Contact an attorney, and maybe let Sarah know no one here tried to bypass the legal system.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

IMHO - Looking at the personal information you have provided, and Florida ineligibility criteria, it doesn't look good for you. However, my personal opinion carries zero weight with the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services. The best advice has already been given, and that was to consult a good 2A lawyer.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

Im waiting to hear back from the top rated 2A lawyer in Florida, no response yet though

Good Luck! If things don't go right in the election it may be rough for you.
    Marine Corps 75-79
    NRA
    Florida Carry
    CCW SAFE
    Colt, Sig, S&W, Browning, Remington

I mean it is what it is. I know people in recovery from when i lived in a halfway house who have CCws and own guns, but i dont know if they had been baker acted or not.

I mean it is what it is. I know people in recovery from when i lived in a halfway house who have CCws and own guns, but i dont know if they had been baker acted or not.
    Did you read this?

http://www.dcf.state.fl.us/programs/...offirearms.pdf

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links