Carry at a Fair/Festival??

This is a discussion on Carry at a Fair/Festival?? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Im sure its legal but in KY are you allowed to carry at such said event??? It should be legal, KRS 237.110 16 a-h doesn't ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Carry at a Fair/Festival??

Im sure its legal but in KY are you allowed to carry at such said event???
    It should be legal, KRS 237.110 16 a-h doesn't make anything I'd call a fair or festival off-limits. Be sure its not taking place on the property of a school or university and don't go to the beer garden, then you should be good.

I would only worry if in the Louisville Metro Area. Since in the past there have been 'Gun Free Events' like Thunder and Derby. I guess all they could do to a CCDW permit holder is ask them to leave.

I don't have any experience with carrying at an event like this or in Louisville at all.

Whatever you decide, good luck and stay safe.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I thought three people in GA could be considered a 'public gathering and grounds for prosecution of a permit holder carrying a gun... at the discretion of whoever is wanting to make that decision of course.
    Although our public gathering clause is somewhat confusing because of the wording in the law, the above scenario doesn't constitute a public gathering. If that were the case I wouldn't be allowed to carry outside of my home. Georgia case law supports that. A DA tried to prosecute a man for carrying at a McDonalds under the grounds that it was a public gathering. The court ruled that although McDonalds is a public place, it isn't a public gathering.

Here is our public gathering law as it is written. What makes it so confusing and creates so many gray areas is the wording "shall not be limited to."

O.C.G.A. § 16-11-127
    Carrying deadly weapons to or at public gatherings; affirmative defenses

(b) For the purpose of this Code section, "public gathering" shall include, but shall not be limited to, athletic or sporting events, churches or church functions, political rallies or functions, publicly owned or operated buildings, or establishments at which alcoholic beverages are sold for consumption on the premises. Nothing in this Code section shall otherwise prohibit the carrying of a firearm in any other public place by a person licensed or permitted to carry such firearm by this part.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I thought three people in GA could be considered a 'public gathering and grounds for prosecution of a permit holder carrying a gun... at the discretion of whoever is wanting to make that decision of course.
    No.

A "public gathering" is an organized event. It includes ball games, concerts, the state fair, protests, etc.

The law is definitely poorly worded and allows room for ignorant law enforcement to cause problems, even though attorney general opinions have been published.
    Americans have the right and advantage of being armed unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison

member: NRA, SAF, GOA, USCCA
    GeorgiaCarry.org

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    No.

A "public gathering" is an organized event. It includes ball games, concerts, the state fair, protests, etc.

The law is definitely poorly worded and allows room for ignorant law enforcement to cause problems, even though attorney general opinions have been published.
    That's how I understood it, carrying in GA is a worrying proposition for me as your law is so poorly worded, I try and stay away but occasionally have to go to Atlanta.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links