Carry at a Fair/Festival??

This is a discussion on Carry at a Fair/Festival?? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ok well its festival time again and the fiance wants to go, and this time last year I could not carry... so do you all ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carry at a Fair/Festival??

Senior Member Array rangerman2003's Avatar

Carry at a Fair/Festival??

ok well its festival time again and the fiance wants to go, and this time last year I could not carry... so do you all carry at the festival or do you just carry the pepper spray and knife???
    How does the pistol handle during the rides???
    Im sure its legal but in KY are you allowed to carry at such said event???
    Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'

De inimico non Loquaris sed cogites.

Do not wish ill for your enemy, plan for it!

2. Remove Ads

Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    30 years ago I spent several years working the rides on a carnival. I would recommend not riding rides carrying a pistol. The primary reason is that some rides do toss you around a little bit and there is a possibility of injury by banging against something. If you get tossed against your gun or jammed against it you could get a nasty bruise or something. More likely if carrying in the small of the back or appendix area. There are some rides where there is a possibility that a gun could be shook loose and this would not be fun to be in the middle of. I'm sure that a "scene" would develop if after getting off you noticed your pistol was shook loose and in or around the ride. Otherwise carrying is fine.
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

Carry in a holster with a thumbsnap. I prefer to carry w/o the strap but under these circumstances it might be a good idea.
    N.R.A. Member
    G.O.A. Member
    Unified Sportsmen of Florida Member

I agree with floridaguy911, use a holster with a good retention device. Also, make sure you know the firearms laws in your state. Some forbid carrying in any public gathering (parades, sports events, funerals, etc.)

what is he doing a carry a .22? I am pretty sure he has seen what a .22 does to a crazy person on some type of drug. Wow!?!?!
    “Do you have any idea how hard it would be to live with yourself if your loved ones were attacked and killed, and you had to stand there helplessly because you were unprepared for that day?”

Ricardo

It is illegal to carry there in NC

Although packing is prohibited at the Indiana State Fair, the law is quiet on carrying at any other public event that doesn't involve schools.

Even though IN doesn't have a concealed carry clause, I think it is wise to always try to carry concealed.
    And Jesus said, "If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one." (Luke 22:36)

I am a peaceful man. But I am not a pacifist.

Administrator
    There was a shoot out a county fair near me a few years ago... I wont ever go to that one. Granted, the "big" county isnt rural anymore, and they have shows for bling instead of livestock. Crop of choice is marijuana instead of corn or beans. The culinary events are headlined by local meth and crack cooks instead of corn dogs and other fried goodness.
    I dont know about your areas, but these events around here seem to attract the bottom feeders more than the decent people, even at the church ran ones. I'd rather stear clear unless I'm going to one of the rural areas events where I live... much better but still has some of the "element" I'd rather not see.

Anyway, to answer the question, it depends on your local laws. Personally, I would not go to such an event without because of what it seems to attract.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Give some thought about your carry method - pickpockets will probably be there.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    I dont believe there is any problem carrying at the fair in Ky (legally ). If you find out different, let us know. I certainly would want tocarry if I went. Just the parking lots of these places would make me want to carry.
    Ditto on the retention strap.......

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    There was a shoot out a county fair near me a few years ago... I wont ever go to that one. Granted, the "big" county isnt rural anymore, and they have shows for bling instead of livestock. Crop of choice is marijuana instead of corn or beans. The culinary events are headlined by local meth and crack cooks instead of corn dogs and other fried goodness.
    I dont know about your areas, but these events around here seem to attract the bottom feeders more than the decent people, even at the church ran ones. I'd rather stear clear unless I'm going to one of the rural areas events where I live... much better but still has some of the "element" I'd rather not see.

Anyway, to answer the question, it depends on your local laws. Personally, I would not go to such an event without because of what it seems to attract.
    +1000

In Georgia this would probably be considered a public gathering which would make it a gun free victim zone.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Center of the World Ma! Center of the World!
    My daughter just got back from an amusement park while she was there she heard gun shots and the police showed up. Some fool killed a garbage can, amusement parks are such fun places.
    "Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
    - William Munny (Clint Eastwood in the Unfrogivin)

“The graveyards are full of indispensable men.” – Napoleon Bonaparte

“My Idea of a fair fight is beating baby seals with a club”

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post

In Georgia this would probably be considered a public gathering which would make it a gun free victim zone.
    I thought three people in GA could be considered a 'public gathering and grounds for prosecution of a permit holder carrying a gun... at the discretion of whoever is wanting to make that decision of course.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by obxned View Post
    Give some thought about your carry method - pickpockets will probably be there.

Wow, I've never heard of someone being pickpocketed of a gun. Any anecdotes of that happening?

I carried at the South Florida Fair this past year. I don't remember what method I used. I think I used my Desantis IWB holster, carried at about 12:30. When I carry that way, it's quite secure. The thing I was worried about was that the rides nearly threw my glasses off my face. The gun was not going anywhere.

There are plenty of gangs going around this area. Most of them are penny-ante losers, but they still carry guns and occasionally start trouble for even outsiders. The PBSO did a great job of intimidating the hell out of those gangs during the entire period of the fair. They were everywhere, carrying their GLOCKs and TASERS and swaggering around in twos, threes, and fours. I was gratified to see it. I'm sure they arrested a few fugitives; the rest kept in line and I didn't read of or hear of any major problems.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links