Packing in a "kids" environment? - Page 2

Packing in a "kids" environment?

This is a discussion on Packing in a "kids" environment? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; P3AT in a ziplock bag comes to mind....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Packing in a "kids" environment?

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    P3AT in a ziplock bag comes to mind.

My daughter and I returned just a few minutes ago from a childrens event at a local publicly accessible privately owned local tourism facility.
    I was carrying in condition 1 a 1911 on my hip and had a spare mag on my opposite hip.

I had thoughts as per my usual as the area I'm in is extremely liberal.
    The funny thing was as we walked to this facility a mom there began talking to me about the area and how it's relatively much safer than living in the city (she's from here but currently resides in LA). My response to her as I was unbeknownst to her carrying was; "My position as based on observation of life and my own direct experiences is that anything can happen anywhere to anyone on any given day". She nodded in agreement.

When ever I begin feeling this way or rethinking things toward carrying with my own child or around those of my neighbors I'll simply recall the many dads, moms, pets, and children too who fall victim to random crime at places where children convene and play...

2 dead, 3 injured in park shooting
    Attack ends violent Memorial Day weekend in city
    By LINDA SPICE, DAN BENSON and BOB PURVIS
    jsmetro@journalsentinel.com
    Posted: May 29, 2006

Two people were killed and three others injured when a man opened fire on picnickers in a crowded Bay View park Monday evening, capping off what police called one of Milwaukee's most violent Memorial Day weekends in recent memory.

Witnesses described the frantic scene that caused the hundreds of panicked Memorial Day picnickers at South Shore Park to grab their children and flee in terror as shots echoed.

"All the parents were scared for their kids; they grabbed them and were running away," said Jesus Romero, who had been there since 1 p.m. eating with his family. Romero heard a succession of popping sounds that he initially mistook for fireworks.

He said there were about 50 children on the playground when the shooting occurred.

Peter Quinones was sitting under a tree on a hill nearby, and he heard at least six shots but said the gunfire didn't catch his attention until the second or third shot.

Police officers talk to people Monday evening after a shooting at South Shore Park. Police did not offer an estimate of how many people were in the park.

Quinones said he turned to see a man wearing a white shirt and armed with a handgun methodically circling the tables where a group of about 10 people had been seated.

"At point-blank range, he was shooting," Quinones said. "We stayed for about five or six shots, and we got out of there."

Quinones said the man looked determined to cause damage.

Quinones said, "He was so concentrated on that table, it looked like he wanted to wipe out that whole group of people."

Quinones' brother-in-law Eduardo Perez saw one of the shooting victims fall down only to have the assailant fire at him again as he lay on the ground.

"He shot the guy when he was down. He wanted to make sure he was dead. This is wrong," Perez said.

Anne E. Schwartz, Milwaukee Police Department spokeswoman, confirmed what witnesses described.

About 7:30 p.m. atop a hill overlooking the marina at South Shore Park, 2900 South Shore Drive, the man fired multiple gunshots at the group, Schwartz said.

The dead are a 17-year-old boy and 31-year-old man. Two others, a woman, 23, and a man, 34, were in surgery Monday night and were listed in critical condition.

A 21-year-old man was also shot in the leg, Schwartz said. She declined to release the victims' identities.

Ruben Santos said he came down to the lakefront with his family to celebrate his niece's birthday. When he heard shots, he said, he frantically gathered his family and fled the park.

"This is a massacre here. It is a massacre," Santos said.

Schwartz did not estimate how many people were in the park but said there were still many people there when the shooting occurred.

"It was a chaotic scene. There was a big crowd here when it happened," said Schwartz.

But police were looking for a person late Monday and had a description of a vehicle, Schwartz said. She declined to release any of that information, but said it appears the assailant knew his victims.

"We have a good idea who we're looking for, so the people in this neighborhood can rest easy," Schwartz said.

Johanna Chavez lives nearby and said she brings her 1-year-old son to the park at least three times a week. She was shaken by the shooting.

Chavez was not there at the time of the shooting but joined about 100 people who crowded the police tape around the scene after she heard sirens from her nearby home.

"It surprises me. I'm not going to come here anymore," Chavez said.
    A weekend of violence

Monday's shooting raised the number of weekend shootings to 28, Schwartz said, four of them fatal.

Details were available about some of the shootings.

The weekend got off to a bloody start when two men, one 22 and the other 18, each were shot in the leg Friday evening after arguing with a stranger outside a tavern in the 3800 block of N. 15th St.

About 11:20 p.m. Friday, a 38-year-old man was shot in the thigh as he was talking to a woman while seated in a vehicle in the 3100 block of W. St. Paul Ave. Police say the woman's ex-boyfriend walked up and fired shots into the vehicle.

A 22-year-old man was fatally shot in the head about 12:15 a.m. Saturday on the street in the 2600 block of N. Sherman Blvd., police said.

A 28-year-old man died early Saturday from a gunshot wound to the chest after a shooting outside La Careta Vieja tavern at 1339 W. Greenfield Ave. Three others were injured in that shooting

Saturday night, three people were critically wounded in three separate shootings.

Neighborhood activist Ester Hodges, 48, was shot in the stomach about 9 p.m. in the 4300 block of W. Garfield Ave. after using a gun in a confrontation with other people. Investigators are still unsure if she was shot with her own weapon.

At 9:05 p.m., a 25-year-old man who had been shot in the back was found in a car at N. 20th and W. State streets, police said. By 9:15 p.m., police were responding to the 2700 block of N. 18th St., where a 22-year-old man was shot in the shoulder.

About 12:10 a.m. Sunday, shots were fired outside a home in the 4900 block of N. 60th St., wounding three men and a woman, all of whom are 19.

At 2 a.m. Sunday, a 26-year-old man was shot in the hip in the 2300 block of W. Lloyd St.

Early Monday, a 20-year-old Milwaukee man was shot on N. 11th St.

The victim was wounded twice in the upper torso at 1:41 a.m. Monday outside a residence in the 3100 block of N. 11th St. He was in critical condition at Froedtert Memorial Lutheran Hospital in Wauwatosa.

Police were seeking a assailant described as another 20-year-old man.
    Victims' families arrive at park

Late Monday, as the crowd of onlookers began to disperse from South Shore Park, a woman arrived at the police line. Her cries became louder. Her body wrenched as if near collapse as a man with her wrapped his arms around her arms and chest. He held her back as she attempted to cross under the police crime tape.

"Please, I want my son! I want my son!" she cried in Spanish as detectives took her under the tape and toward a toddler playground. There, she sat later on a bench, her cries filling the park.

Soon, more family members arrived and crossed under the crime tape toward the scene, where the two dead men lay under coverings.

The story can be found at; http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=429290
    I'm sure the visitors to this park this particular day thought and figured to themselves that it's just a park and nothign ever has happened thereebfore. besides they are just out with the kids amongst a bunch of other parents out with their own children.
    Imagine being that guy only to have some fool(s) run up on you or worst your family only to on the spot know you could have done something more than pray or scream "NOOOO!", if only you had decided to carry.

I know for sure the people I was with, the mom I was talking to, and most every other person on site today at this childrens event would have flipped out had they known I was carrying even as I'm doing so 100% legally and have zero history of anything other than some marginal speeding tickets.
    At the same time I know if worst were to come to absolute worst that those same people would be hoping & depending on Superman if not the cops to fly in if they happened to find themselves in a similar situation as the folks in MN had. While I myself would be doing what ever it is I need to do to keep me and mine alive & well as we escape to safety aided by 17 rds. of .45 inch minimum diameter hole punching capability.
    I'm not a tough guy but I am a very mortal dad guy who wishes to and will if cornered fight to stay alive.

- Janq carries most everywhere, even on what my daughter refers to as 'Daddy Play Day'
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    No, my kids are a big part of why I carry. If I cannot protect them to the best of my ability, I am not being a good dad.
    Same for me with my grandkids. When I am out and about with them, I am always armed.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

First rule in a gun fight " have a gun" always practice the rules of Gunsight, teach your children about firearms, take them shooting so they know first hand what a firearm will do, hunting is even better. Teach their friends, with parents consent. When you least expect it bad things happen and can happen anywhere, be prepeared.

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    It was a cooler day in Georgia the other day and I was sitting on the playground watching my three year son old play with a P228 IWB and a Kel Tec P3AT...
    Yikes! Fortunately, the context became clear after reading the rest of the paragraph. I was certainly hoping it was not going to be a traumatic story.

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    Yikes! Fortunately, the context became clear after reading the rest of the paragraph. I was certainly hoping it was not going to be a traumatic story.

Ohhh, the begining does sound like something out of "Armed Citizen" column in a gun mag doesn't it?
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

The little ones are even more likely to need protection. Kids being around means I'll be doubly aware of my surroundings and just as armed as anywhere else...
    Hoplophile

My gun won't go off in it's holster...I carry everywhere legal and practical (i.e. if going to the beach/pool--may secure in the vehicle or decide not to swim at all and carry).

Park, soccer fields, Chuck E Cheese, movies--you bet I carry.

Until the bad guys start making well publicized appointments to do bad things, I will carry 24/7.

Next time you are trying to decide, look around at all the little kids faces and picture a bad guy doing bad things in the next few seconds and ask yourself: "could I live with knowing that I could have saved that child's life if only I was carrying?"

To me, its a no brainer! Like the anti's like to say, "its for the children".
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    At Sea World my Kimber gets locked in the locker in the swimming area but out side that area it is IWB.

At Schlitterbahn I leave it in the car.

Everywhere else It is IWB.

If I know liquor is involved it stays home and if I have it liquor is not involved.
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

Nope. In fact if I am going to be somewhere with lots of kids, it makes me want to carry more because there are crazy people who want to abduct and harm kids. Their sick desires center on kids.

So, I always carry some place where there are kids. Just in case.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

me
    Week before last was our VBS at church. I was a group leader and most of the week I had my M&P 40 IWB and my Kel-tec P3AT Left pocket. There is one day of an exception here, I had the Kel-tec all day and did not get home to grab the M&P.

I was the door guard, I released the kids out and many times there were what I counted as shady characters walking down the street. My hand was on my Kel-tec and if needed the 40 would have been deployed just as fast as the Kel-Tec.

I carry, but it effects how and what I carry. It may up the amount or lower it depending on circumstances.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    I carry everywhere, especially where there are little ones, unless it is prohibited by law.

If the kiddies are going to be hugging and grabbing you a lot, wear a SmartCarry or something that allows you to carry where they shouldn't be hugging and grabbing...
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

I have a couple of carry purses. One has a lock for the zipper of my weapon's compartment. When around anyone...kids or not....my purse is always under my control. If that is not possible...it is locked in the trunk of the car, which is very seldom. My grand daughter has been taught not to touch it and to go and get a adult if she sees any weapon....just as I was as a child. Carrying around kids shouldn't be a problem, as long as you are aware.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

I've got 3 grade schoolers and a passle of nephews, nieces and great nephews and nieces. Usually several neighbor kids around too. I adjust my weapon choice to the event. I prefer my wheel guns, but if lots of kids are around I'll carry an auto loader or 2 with an empty chamber. The Israels' use to teach draw and rack carry". With a little practice for this type of carry (I use dummy rounds) your ready to shoot PDQ. luteai (a kel-tec p-32 in thunderwear will survive a day at the water park if stripped and oiled within an hour!)
    "Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be Happy" Ben Franklin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links