Packing in a "kids" environment?

This is a discussion on Packing in a "kids" environment? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Do you ever second guess whether or not you should carry if you are going somewhere that will be loaded with kids? Rarely do I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Packing in a "kids" environment?

Packing in a "kids" environment?

Do you ever second guess whether or not you should carry if you are going somewhere that will be loaded with kids?
    Rarely do I leave the house without a sidearm.
    But I have found myself pausing to evaluate if I should carry when going to a zoo, museum, a party, or anyplace else that I know will be crawling with youngsters.
    I usually choose in favor of carrying regardless.
    However, July 4th I took my wife and 2.5yr old son to the Palm Bch Zoo and, knowing I would be running around in the sprinkler area with my boy and not wanting to leave it in the car, I left my gun home.
    Just curious if kids effect your carry decision in any way.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Nope. It goes with me. It might affect the way I carry or maybe even what I carry, but a gun goes with me.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Carry in kids' environment

Depends on the environment!
    I take my younglings' safety very seriously.
    I also recognize that, if I am running through the sprinkler with a shrieking, laughing seven year old, and we are both wearing swim trunks and little else besides a delighted expression, it becomes somewhat difficult to conceal a 1911.
    A kids' party where I remain fully clothed, yes definitely, as long as it did not violate the various thou-shalt-not laws that seem to abound!
    Otherwise, common sense prevails.
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

Kids really do affect my decissin to carry or not to carry.
    My Carry Criteria is 24-7 as long as it is legal.
    Kids affect thay by making it double important. They are victimized just like adults & cannot defend themselves.
    Since I am 58 & too old to swim, run, etc, some of those things do not figure in the equasion for me. I have made adjustments in some other areas though.
    The world we live in today is such that we need to be armed if it means changing some plans.
    There have been large family gatherings at places like you stated where there would be "designated armed." At my age I was always, Mom, & wife. Son & Son in law would trade out. One in the water & one out.
    Park play. Always armed & watching. The Grandkids are big enough to play all they want to.
    Carry 24-7 or guess right.
    NRA Life Member/TSRA Life Member
    Texas CHL Instructor. www.pdtraining.us

Lead Moderator
    No, my kids are a big part of why I carry. If I cannot protect them to the best of my ability, I am not being a good dad.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

The only thing it would change for me is WHAT i carry. I bought my PT-145 for this reason and will be getting something even smaller. I love my Kimber and carryit every chance I get. BUT its a nice gun and I wouldnt run it through a sprinkler. My PT is a tool. It only cost me $300. If something happens to it....OH WELL...it is easily relpaced, unlike my Kimber.
    As said above...Its more of a reason to carry and the kids NEED you ability to protect them because they are unable to fend for themselves
    David

Ride hard and Shoot safe

The first rule of gunfighting should be to know when the gunfight starts - being the last one to get the news certainly won't put the odds in your favor.

Kids

The only kid I regularly carry around is my neice. She's 5 and practices Eddie Eagle with me, knows not to touch the lockbox I keep at my house (for storing my bedside gun when she visits) unless I'm there, and knows not to discuss guns outside the family. I'd rather clean and oil a wet gun than risk not being able to protect her any day.

doesn't affect my decision to carry, no. but, there are different things to keep in mind when carrying around them. kids don't have the same ideas of "personal space" as adults do. for instance, they are more likely to run up to you and pull on your shirt to get your attention. the ones that know you can also jump on you and grab you, etc. ya just have to keep that situational awareness down at a lower height.

"It's for the children"

Exactly - they are easy victims and poorly equipend to protect themselves. They expect the adults in their lives to look out for them, and rightly so.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by DasBoot View Post
    Do you ever second guess whether or not you should carry if you are going somewhere that will be loaded with kids?
    The question really is: Would I be willing to eliminate my primary method of protection because others will have children at the event/function/home?

Not on your life. Certainly not on mine. It's simply not worth others' sensibilities. They'll get over it. If attacked and defenseless, I might well not. Beyond that, if anything the fact that children are present is a greater reason to carry, be well-trained, have the "radar" turned on, etc. It's hard to think of a better reason, thinking long-term.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    The question really is: Would I be willing to eliminate my primary method of protection because others will have children at the event/function/home?

Not on your life.
    +1

Kids may affect how you store firearms (locked up or on your person if there are little ones around) but they should never lead you to give up your primary means of self-defense. Quite the opposite, really. The fact that kids around should be further impetus to be ready to defend innocent life.

Senior Moderator
    I pretty much carry everywhere I legally can.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Your properly holstered gun won't be hurting any kids. If it comes out of the holster than it should be because because without it, you and/or a bunch of kids are in mortal danger.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

I would never leave my gun in the car what if some one see you put in the car or the car gets stolen?

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    It was a cooler day in Georgia the other day and I was sitting on the playground watching my three year son old play with a P228 IWB and a Kel Tec P3AT in my weakside pocket wondering if I was the only one carrying there. I also wondered if the soccer moms would flip out if one of them "made" me, which does concern me a great deal any time I am in that environment.

I always carry in kids environments though. What I carry though depends on what I am wearing. If it is really hot and I'm in a t-shirt and shorts then I am only carrying the Kel-Tec because I consider that to be a deep concealment situation. If it isn't so hot then I can wear a short sleeve button down and conceal the P228 or my M65 along with the P3AT.

Quote Originally Posted by phaed View Post
    doesn't affect my decision to carry, no. but, there are different things to keep in mind when carrying around them. kids don't have the same ideas of "personal space" as adults do. for instance, they are more likely to run up to you and pull on your shirt to get your attention. the ones that know you can also jump on you and grab you, etc. ya just have to keep that situational awareness down at a lower height.
    +1, My son likes to try to pull up my shirt in the most public of places. I don't think he understands what he is doing but it is something that you need to be sure that you are aware of so you don't get made.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links