Can you spot one?

This is a discussion on Can you spot one? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been "made" as a shoplifter in one store because I had on a baseball cap and a long leather jacket. My behavior was hardly ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can you spot one?

VIP Member
    I've been "made" as a shoplifter in one store because I had on a baseball cap and a long leather jacket. My behavior was hardly suspicious, but I was followed around and stared down the entire time by the female clerk who was just sure I was going to pocket something. A couple months later I was in the same store, dressed in business casual, and the same lady didn't look at me twice.

The "Possible General Dirtbag" seems relatively easy to spot by appearance and suspicious attitude. I've also seen a few suspicious people who act "too cool and casual" like they'd slink up behind and grab a purse. Sometimes trying too hard to fly under the radar puts you on one.

And then there's the Ted Bundys of the world who are trimmed and clean and put on the disarm charm.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Thx for the input. I'd say (pretty predictably) we are very much on same page.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Thumbs up How to spot a BG 101

Quote Originally Posted by rfurtkamp
    I also look for out of season wardrobe - the hooded sweatshirt in July, etc. First and foremost, though, I go with instinct. I can be as wrong as I want as many times as I want as long as I err on the side of caution.
    After years of working with probationers and parolees, it's still a "gut feeling" for me. But my "gut" is correct more often than not. As DIRTY HARRY once said: "Now there's one SALTY lookin' dude."

I think it's a lot easier to spot the BG that is on the active hunt....doing a RECON of a possible target, especially when it's YOU. Everybody has had that eerie sensation of being watched but you can't quite pick out the watcher. The predator may have been attracted to your trail because you're exhibiting prey behavior. To deter, analyze yourself at that moment: How are you walking, holding your body and where are your eyes? Change your behavior and your direction. That's for starters. A sudden and dramatic shift in "prey" demeanor may make a careful predator back away. OTOH, a BG with a compulsion....a real NEED.....will strike and damn the consequences unless his personal survival ALARMS start sounding at panic levels. A committed attack can usually be forced to abort only when the BG comes nose to muzzle with Mr. Kimber.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

A committed attack can usually be forced to abort only when the BG comes nose to muzzle with Mr. Kimber.
    And that, rather than the presence or willingness to use a firearm, is why I suspect that some folks who carry experience some more problems while doing so than others - it's not "I'm a victim" but rather the desperate, bizarre criminal types may be seeking the equivalent of either the challenge or someone not like the average sheeple.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by rfurtkamp
    ....the desperate, bizarre criminal types may be seeking the equivalent of either the challenge or someone not like the average sheeple.
    I don't think I understand. Can you give an example? Better yet would be an example from an actual event.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

For those of you looking at tattos, here is some actual gang artwork, as opposed to the yob with a tribal band...If you click up to each individual STG, they have more tat pics, and info on each one. These are the real deal, not the Hollywood pretty boy punks.
    http://www.azcorrections.gov/STG/Tattoos.htm
    If total government control equals safety, why are prisons so dangerous?

Can we spot a BG, reliably.?

I spent 11 years in retail loss prevention ( In english? catching shopliofters ) I've read some great points here. However, your instincts will tell you what you need to know. Just pay attention to them and act accordingly.

Body language, shifty looks, not dressed for the weather, shifting stances are all valid indicators I used.

One thing to pay attention to.....believe it or not...........the SHOES! This is one indicator that worked more often than not!

Are the shoes old? Is the heel worn down? Laces worn out, Shoes scuffed? Sneakers old and dirty? Not well cared for? Look DOWN and see the world of the person you are looking at. The shoes are the furthest thing from the eyes so most people don't pay attention to how the shoes they wear look. Personally, mine have a high spitshine on them. Old habbits.......

Why do you think women fuss over shoes? They don't miss a single detail! Right girls?

Here is another...SUNGLASSES! Why do you wear sunglasses indoors? Yes, I've seen the movie.........."When you're cool the sun shines on you 24 hours a day" In truth..........that person is hiding! Same thing with a hood or a baseball hat pulled low over the eyes or a high collar jacket zipped close to the chin or a combination of all the above.

The situation will tell you when something doesn't look right. PAY ATENTION to your instincts! Don't reason them away........they are telling you something your consious mind trys to explain away....deal with the danger signs, act on them and stay safe!

Mike

A word on tattoos,

I have generally found over the years that a tattoo will refelct the personality of the wearer.

Does the person have a swasticka? What image does that bring?

Remember, it's art and subject to interpretation............

Yes, I have a few of my own. Custom images that were completed by myself and a tattoo artist.

However, when I first went in to a tattoo parlor I saw what one might expect. everyone was covered with them! I was scared out of my wits just going in there....then one tattoo covered sasquatch came up to me and said. " hey man, can I help you?"

Turns out that it was a nice group of people and everybody let out a round of applause when I walked out with my first tattoo.

Are tattoos for everybody....no. But as I said in another thread, "I spent 11 years catching shoplifters" and a tattoo was never an indicator of a BG for me.

Mike

Cool Sunglasses indoors?

Quote Originally Posted by LPguy
    Can we spot a BG, reliably.?

I spent 11 years in retail loss prevention ( In english? catching shopliofters ) I've read some great points here. However, your instincts will tell you what you need to know. Just pay attention to them and act accordingly.

Body language, shifty looks, not dressed for the weather, shifting stances are all valid indicators I used.

One thing to pay attention to.....believe it or not...........the SHOES! This is one indicator that worked more often than not!

Are the shoes old? Is the heel worn down? Laces worn out, Shoes scuffed? Sneakers old and dirty? Not well cared for? Look DOWN and see the world of the person you are looking at. The shoes are the furthest thing from the eyes so most people don't pay attention to how the shoes they wear look. Personally, mine have a high spitshine on them. Old habbits.......

Why do you think women fuss over shoes? They don't miss a single detail! Right girls?

Here is another...SUNGLASSES! Why do you wear sunglasses indoors? Yes, I've seen the movie.........."When you're cool the sun shines on you 24 hours a day" In truth..........that person is hiding! Same thing with a hood or a baseball hat pulled low over the eyes or a high collar jacket zipped close to the chin or a combination of all the above.

The situation will tell you when something doesn't look right. PAY ATENTION to your instincts! Don't reason them away........they are telling you something your consious mind trys to explain away....deal with the danger signs, act on them and stay safe!

Mike
    Actually, I often wear sunglasses inside mostly because they're prescription (right down to my bifocals) and if I'm wearing them behind the wheel, I'll forget to switch back.

But I LOVE the insight about the shoes! I spent time on search and bust missions too.

The really funny part was hiding our walkie talkies inside a small shopping bag and watching little kids get smacked for lying when they pull on mommy's skirt and say: "MOMMY! WHY IS THAT MAN TALKING TO HIS BAG???"

EX,

An experienced LPguy will be able to spot perscription because they adjust to the darker conditions quickly OR they tend to look heavier, more solid and less ornamental than over the counter ones. But don't be surprised if you get followed by a few rookies.

As far as the small shopping bag goes, I've used that one myself..concealing in a sales flyer, remote mic the whole shabang. Kids do say the darndest things.....lol

Mike

I go with my gut. Y'all would probably watch me closely for a minute or two based on my appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by LPguy
    Here is another...SUNGLASSES! Why do you wear sunglasses indoors? Yes, I've seen the movie.........."When you're cool the sun shines on you 24 hours a day" In truth..........that person is hiding!
    Hiding... from the light. I work 3rd shift. Have for years. Sunglasses are worn to hide the circles under my eyes, and of course because light bothers my eyes.

Zach,

Keep in mind that SUNGLASSES is a general observation based on a common sample of day dwellers. There are always exceptions to every rule.

Unless you are a coalminer you probably work with some sort of incandescent light even on 3rd shift.

Take the glasses off before you pay with a check or a credit card and you'll probably be ignored by the guy manning CCTV camera.

Mike

Well, the lighting in my plant sucks. I dont wear them indoors habitually, but if I'm just in the store for a minute I dont bother taking them off.

Ironicly, I've never been asked for ID when using my bank card. I write about one check a month since I cant make the house payments online.

I dont care how many security guys are watching me, as long as they leave me alone. Outside of the Asheville Mall, which I mentioned in another thread, I've never had any problems.

Some words of wisdom (LOL) from a long time biker

I havebeen a biker for more years than I can remember (at leats since I as old enough to ride) and a Hells Angel for the last 22 year. The one sure sign of a troublemaker I have found is the dude that gets chummy right off the bat. 9 times out of 10 he's trying to work an angle. Either that or he's trying to set me up for sdomething. Either way I make tracks outta there.

Tweakers

I may be getting old but these new meth addicts scare me to death. Every night on the news some very normal looking dude is on TV having killed God knows how many friends or relatives or little kids or whatever. Oh, and he was on meth. These meth heads are constantly on the prowl for cash. Just watch 'em, they can't stand still and they are always looking for an easy mark. They usually have sores on their face or hands and seem to me to be emaciated. No need for +P loads with these guys! This drug is turning average people into future targets. I only hope that if I get into a lead throwing contest with one they can even feel it if I hit 'em. Not good!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links