Can you spot one? - Page 4

Can you spot one?

This is a discussion on Can you spot one? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Prospector In today's environment, yup, people (GGs) will draw conclusions about your son, but that's okay too. Key words here are observation ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by Prospector
    In today's environment, yup, people (GGs) will draw conclusions about your son, but that's okay too. Key words here are observation and awareness. Your son (another GG) is not posing a threat. What others have been posting is all directed at recognizing a threat and being prepared to respond, whether it is exiting the situation, or, if unable, being ready to protect themselves. When the "assumed BG" (your son perhaps) goes on about his business, the threat level goes down and the GGs continues on their way....always observing and being aware of the next encounter. People that "draw attention" to themselves certainly make the observation and awareness an easy task....it is the "Ted Bundy" types that pose the harder problem.
    Never thought of it that way but you're right!

What a great thread this is!

Quote Originally Posted by LPguy
    ...Anyone who hides the eyes behind glasses or under a hat is almost always up to something.

Mike
    Hmm. I wear a plain, black leather hat, almost all the time (outdoors). When I'm not wearing that, I wear a baseball cap. I've been wearing a hat since I went off to military school at age 12. I have blue-grey eyes that are sensitive to glare and bright light. The hat shades my eyes. The sunglasses I wear protect against glare. Sometimes, I wear them indoors, if the light is really bothering me, or if I just forget to take them off. I also wear a beat up old leather jacket (featured in my avatar). And my shoulder-length hair is gathered in a tie. The beard my wife asked me to grow is a little unruly. I frequently hear little kids whisper "Mommy! Look at the REAL cowboy!" But I guess I add a little excitement to an otherwise dull day for those of you who suspect anyone who "hides" behind glasses or under a hat or behind a beard. Am I always up to something? Not always. But sometimes. Maybe.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

I really hate to say it, but yeah, I guess I do profile a little in this manner. Whenever I see people dressed like this at my workplace, I usually shadow them for a while and 6 or 7 times out of 10, I catch them doing something wrong and throw 'em out. And its got nothing to do with race, its a behavior pattern. I've seen blacks, hispanics, whites, and even asians dressed 'gangsta' style. But its not just the clothing, its a demeanor, a certain way of carrying one's self that I key in on.

Assistant Administrator
    Bravo - hey - welcome

Your post reminds me of one other thing re ''gangsta'' dressed folks - I find I profile considerably thru their manner of walking - the ones I watch most closely tend I feel to exhibit a certain (and sloppy) swagger - a punk-like mode if you will.

Too much stereotyping? Possibly but - it does strike me as showing some degree of consistency! I'll assess and judge first - on the safe side - but ready to change view as soon as proven wrong.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Some other things to look for- People who are carrying who are not used to it will touch the weapon through their clothes, both to assure themselves that it hasn't fallen out of their waistbands, and to keep it in what they feel to be a proper position for a smooth quick draw.

Also watch the way the jacket or coat hangs. A pistol in a pocket will cause the pocket to hang straight down and not flop around a lot (Of course, so will a bunch of keys)

As someone else mentioned- innapropriate clothing for the weather should send up red flags.

look for bulges where there should be none. Why is there a bump in the middle of that guy's back?

Listen for the metallic clunk when the guy sits down, or bumps into something.

Depending on the size of the weapon being carried, the person may walk with a limp, or an unusual gait caused by the barrell digging into his leg or hip.

I stopped a gangsta looking guy once who was limping- turned out he had a shotgun stuffed down the right leg of his pants.

Most people pay absolutely no attention to the people around them. A person carrying illegally is depending on not being noticed by the general public.

Oh, by the way, greetings from the People's Republic of Massachusetts. There are some normal people living here.

Assistant Administrator
    sdb - greetings right backatcha - from PA to MA!!

Lots of good normal folks here!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links