Having had one or two?

This is a discussion on Having had one or two? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am on-call 7x24. I don't ever drink more than would allow me to drive. Do I drink socially? Absolutely. Never on an empty stomach. ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Having had one or two?

I am on-call 7x24. I don't ever drink more than would allow me to drive. Do I drink socially? Absolutely. Never on an empty stomach. I have one shot, not three. Or I have a beer. Or I have a glass of wine. And I make it last. After that, I drink water. That way, I don't have to worry about it.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

2. Remove Ads

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    Your thoughts folks?
    I RARELY drink. When I think I'm going to have something alcoholic like at a party or some sort of group social situation, I am strictly NOT drinking. Period. That said, were I to be at home and having a beer or a Bacardi (my nephew is one of their executives so I get the new products for my birthday--which is TOMORROW!), and I were forced into a self defense encounter, I'd have to go with another poster and put several controlled pairs into a somewhat larger torso area than I'm normally used to doing!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Assistant Administrator
    ExSoldier -
    my birthday--which is TOMORROW!
    Happy Birthday dude for tomorrow - in case I forget!!

Thx for the input guys.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

DC Founder
    I don't drink enough (maybe a 6 pack or two per year) for it to be a problem. In Arizona you better not be carrying if you are drinking. But should I have to use my gun after I have been drinking, it will be at home. Never heard that people that have had a drink are not allowed to defend themselves from a felon in their own home.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Senior Moderator
    If you have ANY alcohol in your system during ANY shoot...its not a good thing and it dang sure cant help.

It more than likey will come up in court...whether it is a justified shooting or not.

Alcohol impairs judgement. Its not a stretch of the imagination to think that ones judgment was subject to question during a shoot and any lawyer worth his salt is more than likey gonna question that judgement and capitalize on the fact that you had a "few" before going to bed.

All it takes to muck thing ups on a jury is for a couple of people to question your judgement in a shooting situation.Right..wrong...it wont matter....

Now that I've said that...let me clarify my position here...
    I personally think if someone is in your house and you blast him... the decision to be there was his and it shouldnt matter how much you drank.However...that just aint the way it works out in the real world...

Assistant Administrator
    Hot guns - that is exactly what I have been thinking on!!

Shall we say - ''prejudicial evidence''!!

But - OTOH - darned if I am not gonna enjoy my few shots each evening!
    Chris - P95

P95Carry--might do some study on this--but if you BA is anywhere near what is considered 'impared' in your state, IMO, get your checkbook out.

Just the opinion of one old guy.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

Assistant Administrator
    KC - yep - that is what has bothered me! Still does and yet as I said - darned if I will not have my few shots late evening - ''in case'' some doofus decides to come calling with trouble on his mind!!

I think the odds are sufficiently on my side - that I won't actually be losing sleep over it. But something to be cognisant of nonetheless. Gettin to old to worry excessively any more.
    Chris - P95

Hi Guys,

It's amazing how many rights some perp has while breaking into YOUR home. It's a touchy issue here in Massachusetts to defend yourself in your own home with a firearm.

My personal thought is to exercise the minimum use of force needed to defend yourself and your lovedones. Don't create a situation that will cause you to fire upon an intruder needlessly or possibly get yourself shot as well. ( Like confronting him when you don't have to )

Wether you are hurt, killed or in jail, your faimily suffers as much as you do. Aside of sentimental value, your physical valuables can be replaced, you can't be.

Keep a phone in more than one room of the house and call 911. I personally keep my cell phone on my nightstand in case the land line gets cut.

Just my 2 cents worth,

Mike

Administrator

Thumbs up P95Carry

Heck...you are in Pennsylvania.
    You are not restricted in PA from going into a bar or restaurant or combination
    bar/restaurant and having a drink while you are carrying.
    I almost never give any legal advice on the web EXCEPT to say that nobody should ever take any legal advice from anybody on the web.
    So...PLEASE ~ Check this out for yourself.
    I am pretty sure that PA judges you by your Blood Alcohol Level.
    If you are deemed too intoxicated to drive then you are considered to be too intoxicated to carry a firearm.
    That being said...I never drink and drive...ever. It's a deadly combination.
    BUT, It would be insane to deny yourself a "nightcap" in your own home based on the extremely remote possibility that you may have to deal with an intruder on any given day.
    My advice to everyone would be just to never drink to get drunk. :vollkomme
    I never drink to get smashed. It's not worth the headache in the morning or the damage it does to your body.
    There is nothing wrong with relaxing at home and having a drink or two.
    What are we all working so doggone hard for every day if we can't kick our shoes off & relax a little bit in our own home in the manner that we see fit?
    I think it's called enjoying life.
    If you wanted to have an alcoholic beverage in your own castle in Pennsylvania...in the evening then ~ "Go For It Man!"
    Gosh...if that were the case then you would also hafta refrain from taking some cough or cold medicine when you were at home and under the weather.
    Because somebody might break in while you had a cold or flu?

My opinion is that if you DENY YOURSELF something that is perfectly legal to do in your own home and that gives you some degree of modest pleasure...then the Bad Guys have won & we are all lost.
    Last edited by QKShooter; May 11th, 2005 at 11:30 PM.

Assistant Administrator
    Thx QK - as I said, I ain't gonna worry on it. I sure wish (outa interest) I could see my BAC at bedtime!. Sure as heck - I would not drive but I am good enough I reckon to walk the line per sobriety test. Be great to know what the actual level was... certainly measurable.

On average - I take on about four shot glasses over an hour or two (what I call the small std size) of hard liquor - enough to ''feel'' - meaning relaxed, probably a bit more sleepy than without it.

One thing I have always found - and here we are not talking wrecked drunk - just ''mellowed'' but maybe not wise at all to drive - is that I have been lucky to have an ''inner sober self'' always - meaning thought processes are unaffected even if physically I have slowed a bit. That means a sober voice of calm logic - more than adequate to size a situation and make a fair judgement... as I see it! Only impairment I could anticipate is that probable reduction in reflex time.

Oh well - enough rambling!
    Chris - P95

Administrator

Let me repeat my above addition.

My opinion is that if you DENY YOURSELF something that is perfectly legal to do in your own home and that something gives you some degree of modest pleasure...then the Bad Guys have won & we are all lost.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Anybody remember the old tale of the sheriff who arrested a cowboy? The fella asked what he was charged with and the sheriff said, "murder." "You can't charge me with murder, sheriff. I shot that man fairly and squarely." "Yep," said the sheriff, "fairlly sudden and squarely in the back." So long, Buckaroos.

Administrator

P95Carry ~ Your Wish Is My Command

BAC BY CONSUMPTION CLICK HERE

Pennsylvania Intoxicated BAC is .08

Assistant Administrator
    QK - you are a star sir!! Most useful that is, thx - and my figure would come to 0.9 it seems - just over. The only thing it does not take into account tho is speed of ingestion.

An old ''rule of thumb'' I used to have in mind (from where I know not) - was that we can process (liver breakdown/detox) approx one ''unit'' of alcohol per hour - the ''unit'' IIRC was one single measure.

So - if I have my four over 2 hours then at end, I'd probably be actually under the limit - not that I would put it to the test. Thx again.
    Chris - P95

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links