Defensive Carry banner

Having had one or two?

4K views 41 replies 21 participants last post by  HotGuns 
#1 ·
Sorry! Another thread!

I am not a heavy drinker and also do not condone the casual mixing of alcohol with carry - they are not good bedfellows. I doubt we would disagree on that in principle. Sober is good!

However - and this where things strike me as tricky --

I do most evenings, now included - enjoy a few shots of whiskey, vodka, whatever - such that when I quit - I go to turn in relaxed and comfortable, tho far from incapable! I would tho not choose to drive - DUI is not my bag!

If tho - somehow - I found an intruder at 1.00am, and so had to defend self - I would NOT be technically sober! I can ''have a few'' and be well capable - no staggering or loud singing - but in a court of law, if I was proven to have been under the influence - I am thinking this would be far from helpful had I had recourse to use a firearm.

Should this mean, that late in the evening - because I carry 16/7 - I should not/must not ever have a drink or three? How might I be expected to know that something was gonna go down, after I had imbibed a bit?

Your thoughts folks?

See less See more
#3 ·
I don't drink much either. Sometimes only one drink per year.

I missed Cinco de Mayo because I had to work.

So far in 2005, I've had one small glass of chablis. It was my birthday, it was a Sicilian restaurant, I wanted a margarita, I was with a church elder, bada bing, bada boom, I settled for wine.

But I have the right as an adult to have a reasonable amount to drink. If I'm in my home I have the right to have an unreasonable amount.

If am aggressor presses the point, and I have made every effort to peacefully disuade him, then he will get a sloppy, poorly shot group of Golden Sabers in and about his blurry sternum.

Heck, a dead aggressor. I'll to that.

#4 ·
Does this make me a "cheap date" or what?
CLASS3 - yep - you are obviously ''anybody's'' LOL :biggrin:

I often wonder - seeing as I never drink during the day - whether my evening few drinks is habit or dependence. In the end I can't really be bothered to decide - because it is what I WANT to do. That said - I still wonder - if I had to defend home and self - how I'd come out of it all!

#5 ·
Colorado uses the same standard for CCW as for driving under the influence... carry in bars is not prohibited by law. I've had a beer with lunch or dinner while CCW'ing and then started the "am I impaired?" guessing game.

You can bet that a prosecutor would make hay with any alcohol consumed prior to a shooting....better be darned sure you are under the .05 (or whatever it is these days) limit while carrying in public. As far as your home defense scenario, I think you have every right to defend yourself whether drunk or sober...just be sure it's a legal shoot to begin with...course, I'm not a lawyer :wink:
YMMV

#6 ·
Even if you're 5 sheets to the wind, IF you are in the right, and you're at home, I don't believe they can do much about it.

Granted, a prosecutor MAY try to get you. Then again, I'd say it depends a lot on the record of the person you shot. As for being impaired, IF you manage to hit the guy, there may be a good argument that you were not that impaired if you could hit him.

As in anything, it's all a crap shoot in the end. Do your best, and let God take care of the rest.

#8 ·
Good thread....I've not considered that before. I'm a casual drinker too and got on this daily regimen of having a snifter of brandy when I get home from work...my excuse is I've heard/read where a shot a day is good for the health...of course, that's negated by my smoking! LOL

I too would be considered a "cheap drunk" as it doesn't take a lot to get me to a buzz. I know my limits. I've not consumed enough for that buzz in over 25 years.....don't like not being in total control of my functions.

I would assume, possibly wrong, that should you be in an "episode" with a BG, the LEOs would not have you take a breathelizer or blood test unless they smelled booze on ya....(make sure you don't greet them at the door with a gun in one hand and a bottle in the other). :tongue:

#9 ·
Just remember, if you shot the BG five times, and the Judge asks you why, don't say that you put one shot in each of the five you could see!
Hahaa! Peter - you are as ever - delightfully predictable LOL! :biggrin:

I'd reckon tho - I'd be no worse than 2 sheets to the wind - so for me two shots. One for each!!

#10 ·
Just an FYI. I used to be a SERIOUS drinker. Mind you, this was about 27 years ago. I was 22, worked as both an armed security officer, and private investigator. Never drank on duty, nor 8 hours before going to work. But when I got off work, man, could I tie one on.

Both age, and children have tempered my drinking habits. In addition to the fact I just don't find it that enjoyble anymore. Now I'm lucky if I have a drink once every couple of months. But since Michigan law won't let me take my gun into a bar, that curtails my drinking even more. While I can go into a resteraunt that serves, the most I have is ONE beer. Our BAC for CCW is .02, which I think is a bit draconian, but that's the way it is. IF we could carry into bars, STILL the most I'd have is one beer. I usually only get the taste for beer every once in a great while. And when I do drink, it's at home.

But that's just me. ;)

#11 ·
Like Al I used to be quite the drinker. A quart of hard liquor in an evening was the norm. Now I am much more restrained. In fact health issues have all but eliminated adult beverages from my menu.

In Virginia there is no standard for Drunk In Public (DIP) or carrying concealed while under the influence. We insure our students understand this, and that they should refrain from imbibing while carrying in public.

At home that is your decision.

-Scott-

#12 ·
There's no published standard - can't carry *concealed* while intoxicated in ID.

Make sure it's visible if you're rip-roaring drunk.

And should I ever wonder on the rare, rare occasion I drink out in the wild whether that second beer transforms me into the Incredible Risk Magnet, I pull up the shirt and let the grip be visible discreetly so it's suddenly carried openly.

#13 ·
seems unless someone breaks in soon after ya finish drinking you would probably be ok. It may lead to civil law problems more than ,criminal. I'm sure if ya blew and .0? , civilly a case could be made. What to do? everyone needs to decide for themselves.

#15 ·
Bad news is if you are in a situation, and the officer smells a hint of alcohol he'll put on the report "HBD" (Has Been Drinking). I advise my students after the incident when you go to the hospital to be checked out get a complete toxicology test for drugs and alcohol. You're paying for it so it belongs to you. It might come handy in court.

#16 ·
I am on-call 7x24. I don't ever drink more than would allow me to drive. Do I drink socially? Absolutely. Never on an empty stomach. I have one shot, not three. Or I have a beer. Or I have a glass of wine. And I make it last. After that, I drink water. That way, I don't have to worry about it.

#17 ·
P95Carry said:
Your thoughts folks?
I RARELY drink. When I think I'm going to have something alcoholic like at a party or some sort of group social situation, I am strictly NOT drinking. Period. That said, were I to be at home and having a beer or a Bacardi (my nephew is one of their executives so I get the new products for my birthday--which is TOMORROW!), and I were forced into a self defense encounter, I'd have to go with another poster and put several controlled pairs into a somewhat larger torso area than I'm normally used to doing!

#18 ·
ExSoldier -
my birthday--which is TOMORROW!
Happy Birthday dude for tomorrow - in case I forget!!

Thx for the input guys. :smile:

#19 ·
I don't drink enough (maybe a 6 pack or two per year) for it to be a problem. In Arizona you better not be carrying if you are drinking. But should I have to use my gun after I have been drinking, it will be at home. Never heard that people that have had a drink are not allowed to defend themselves from a felon in their own home.

#20 ·
If you have ANY alcohol in your system during ANY shoot...its not a good thing and it dang sure cant help.

It more than likey will come up in court...whether it is a justified shooting or not.

Alcohol impairs judgement. Its not a stretch of the imagination to think that ones judgment was subject to question during a shoot and any lawyer worth his salt is more than likey gonna question that judgement and capitalize on the fact that you had a "few" before going to bed.

All it takes to muck thing ups on a jury is for a couple of people to question your judgement in a shooting situation.Right..wrong...it wont matter....

Now that I've said that...let me clarify my position here...
I personally think if someone is in your house and you blast him... the decision to be there was his and it shouldnt matter how much you drank.However...that just aint the way it works out in the real world...

#21 ·
Hot guns - that is exactly what I have been thinking on!!

Shall we say - ''prejudicial evidence''!!

But - OTOH - darned if I am not gonna enjoy my few shots each evening!

#23 ·
KC - yep - that is what has bothered me! Still does and yet as I said - darned if I will not have my few shots late evening - ''in case'' some doofus decides to come calling with trouble on his mind!!

I think the odds are sufficiently on my side - that I won't actually be losing sleep over it. But something to be cognisant of nonetheless. Gettin to old to worry excessively any more.

#24 ·
Hi Guys,

It's amazing how many rights some perp has while breaking into YOUR home. It's a touchy issue here in Massachusetts to defend yourself in your own home with a firearm.

My personal thought is to exercise the minimum use of force needed to defend yourself and your lovedones. Don't create a situation that will cause you to fire upon an intruder needlessly or possibly get yourself shot as well. ( Like confronting him when you don't have to )

Wether you are hurt, killed or in jail, your faimily suffers as much as you do. Aside of sentimental value, your physical valuables can be replaced, you can't be.

Keep a phone in more than one room of the house and call 911. I personally keep my cell phone on my nightstand in case the land line gets cut.

Just my 2 cents worth,

Mike

#25 · (Edited)
P95Carry

Heck...you are in Pennsylvania.
You are not restricted in PA from going into a bar or restaurant or combination
bar/restaurant and having a drink while you are carrying.
I almost never give any legal advice on the web EXCEPT to say that nobody should ever take any legal advice from anybody on the web.
So...PLEASE ~ Check this out for yourself.
I am pretty sure that PA judges you by your Blood Alcohol Level.
If you are deemed too intoxicated to drive then you are considered to be too intoxicated to carry a firearm.
That being said...I never drink and drive...ever. It's a deadly combination.
BUT, It would be insane to deny yourself a "nightcap" in your own home based on the extremely remote possibility that you may have to deal with an intruder on any given day.
My advice to everyone would be just to never drink to get drunk. :vollkomme
I never drink to get smashed. It's not worth the headache in the morning or the damage it does to your body.
There is nothing wrong with relaxing at home and having a drink or two.
What are we all working so doggone hard for every day if we can't kick our shoes off & relax a little bit in our own home in the manner that we see fit?
I think it's called enjoying life.
If you wanted to have an alcoholic beverage in your own castle in Pennsylvania...in the evening then ~ "Go For It Man!"
Gosh...if that were the case then you would also hafta refrain from taking some cough or cold medicine when you were at home and under the weather.
Because somebody might break in while you had a cold or flu? :rolleyes:

My opinion is that if you DENY YOURSELF something that is perfectly legal to do in your own home and that gives you some degree of modest pleasure...then the Bad Guys have won & we are all lost.

#26 ·
Thx QK - as I said, I ain't gonna worry on it. I sure wish (outa interest) I could see my BAC at bedtime!. Sure as heck - I would not drive but I am good enough I reckon to walk the line per sobriety test. Be great to know what the actual level was... certainly measurable.

On average - I take on about four shot glasses over an hour or two (what I call the small std size) of hard liquor - enough to ''feel'' - meaning relaxed, probably a bit more sleepy than without it.

One thing I have always found - and here we are not talking wrecked drunk - just ''mellowed'' but maybe not wise at all to drive - is that I have been lucky to have an ''inner sober self'' always - meaning thought processes are unaffected even if physically I have slowed a bit. That means a sober voice of calm logic - more than adequate to size a situation and make a fair judgement... as I see it! Only impairment I could anticipate is that probable reduction in reflex time.

Oh well - enough rambling! :smile:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.