Real Bad Experience... - Page 5

Real Bad Experience...

This is a discussion on Real Bad Experience... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Couple of thoughts: 1) If you have an "incident" you call 911 , not the non-emergent number. Give your name, DL and CC#, and explain ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Couple of thoughts:
    1) If you have an "incident" you call 911, not the non-emergent number. Give your name, DL and CC#, and explain what happened, and something to the effect of, "I don't know if someone else has called, but I just didn't want to be thrown down in the parking lot because someone didn't know the CC laws, ha, ha...".

2) Matter of fact, at his first challenge, something to the effect of, "I'm sorry, who are you?", as you open your cell phone, would also be in order. If the rant proceeds, you call 911 right there and report being accosted.

3) My feelings on OC vs CC are out there. Personal satisfaction or redress is rewarding; you may or may not make points in education, enlightenment and World Peace. Bottom line, being unobtrusive is being healthy. The guy will certainly remember you, and will certainly point you out to his squelchie-cheek buddies if he sees you again. You never know how things will evolve...

Stay safe.

Outcome?

While this incident is somewhat unsettling, in many larger departments it isn't going to be a major case. The misinformation should be corrected by the officer's supervisor. No question on that.

But here's what you face. FOIA is great but takes time to go through the system. The information may be provided, but not for free. Copies of audio tapes are provided and billed to the recipient. The video tapes in the retail establishment are maintained by that corporation and most likely are not in the hands of the pd. So good luck getting them. Be prepared for a long and costly legal battle before a private company releases the tapes. It will probably take a subpoena from a superior court judge at the very least.

Filing charges against the original complainant? Maybe based on the phone conversation with the dispatcher. But don't bet on it. Most of the complainants we received in my 30 years with a larger police agency were not totally accurate. Everything is open to interruption. True, the guy was being an idiot. If he was truly concerned, he should have just called 9-11 and stayed out of it. But he chose to stick his nose into it putting himself in possible danger. What if you weren’t a properly licensed CCW holder? Then he is in a world of hurt along with his family members.

Based on the fact that no arrest was made and the intrusion was limited to the questioning on scene, where do you expect to go with this. Hopefully the misinformation is corrected. That would be the best to expect in my opinion.
    Richard Scalzo, Capt.
    Secaucus PD
    Secaucus, NJ
    Retired !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nekura View Post
    At no point in time did they attempt to question or detain this individual, who remained inside the store until I was in my vehicle and the police had left.

At this point they return my ID's, and my now-unloaded handgun. I'm given instructions to not reload it until I'm off the property and to leave immediately. I comply.
    First you say you were in your vehicle and the police had left, while the jerk remained in the store. Then, you say you left after instructed to do so, while the police were still there. Which is it?
    Perhaps the jerk was given a little talking to by the investigating officer? We don't know by this info.

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    Janq - I have to respectfully disagree. Obviously the Concealed versus open debate has been long drawn out on this forum in other threads in the past so I'm not going to start that one up (er uh at least try not too). The problem is that he was in fact in the right. If in fact Indiana does allow open carry, he shouldn't have to hide. Virginia is an open carry state, and much to the anti's chagrin, we have less and less of these type of incidents happening precisely because we DO fight back when we're in the right. We put the LEO's back in their place. That means not only knowing the law they're supposed to be working with, but also following it themselves. If we allow every tom dick and hairy to put themselves above the law, then we cease to be free to follow it as written ourselves...

-just a thought, no offense intended as we all have differing opinions.
    Understood.

Yep in VA open carry is lawful.
    If open carry truly is legal/allowable in Indiana then yes or rather agreed, you're on target.

Oddly this thread for me seemed to disappear for days. I couldn't even find it by searching against my own name and recent posts.
    Then today like 3 minutes ago it reappears with a long long history of responses (?).

Tonight I'll read the rest to see what all happened and developed...

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

If you have an "incident" you call 911, not the non-emergent number
    As a long time police officer (retired) I totally agree. It wasn't like you were asking for directions. But it is good to see that you appeared to keep your wits about you and not enflame the incident out of hand.
    Richard Scalzo, Capt.
    Secaucus PD
    Secaucus, NJ
    Retired !!!!

While this may not have been a pleasant experiance for you I would put it FAR from real bad. You had an incedent with a sheeple and got some bad legal advice from an LEO. Sounds pretty standard to me.

A REAL BAD EXPERIANCE would be having the local swat team stomp on your neck as they ziptie your hands together when you walk out the door.

While the letter to the OIC was a good idea and he might actually bring it up in the next briefing, persueing any further to me would look like someone just trying to rub it in. Kind of a taunting "HAHA TOLD YA SO" type of thing.
    To those that paid for my freedom,
    I WILL NEVER FORGET.

As with all statements I've made and All that I will make, please check your local laws to verify accuracy. (and if i'm wrong let me know as I like to be right in the future) After all I'm just some goofball posting on an internet forum.

1943 - 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post

Oddly this thread for me seemed to disappear for days. I couldn't even find it by searching against my own name and recent posts.
    Then today like 3 minutes ago it reappears with a long long history of responses (?).

- Janq

This will explain the mystery:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...1&postcount=54

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Agreed 100% ^^

When in the wrong and you know or are told you are in the wrong, don't be that guy who barks and growls.

P.S. - Please don't sue me or write a letter to the mods toward my post if you feel my attitude is less than kind or respectful even as offense is not my intent.

However, he was NOT in the wrong, Open carry is legal in Indiana. Me, I would have considered taking the cover garment off.

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by ecbaatz View Post
    However, he was NOT in the wrong, Open carry is legal in Indiana. Me, I would have considered taking the cover garment off.

Eric

Thats Awesome (seriously). I never would have thought of that.

I can picture the LEO's face.

"well i guess my cover garment isn't good enough sir, I guess I'll just take it off"

officer "but you, but I, but its, grumble grumble, well informed citizen, grumble grumble"
    To those that paid for my freedom,
    I WILL NEVER FORGET.

As with all statements I've made and All that I will make, please check your local laws to verify accuracy. (and if i'm wrong let me know as I like to be right in the future) After all I'm just some goofball posting on an internet forum.

You have to be careful with "open carry". For example in North Carolina "open carry" is not "illegal" but it's not protected as "legal" either. There is simply no law against open carry. However, a citizen minding his own business openly carrying can be charged with "going armed to the terror of the public" if some sheep decides to call the LEO's.

Just make sure you know which kind of "open carry" you have in your state. :D

I revisited this thread since it was originally posted and I have to say... I have learned some things here!

For what it's worth, I think it's a good thread and has given everyone some food for thought and hopefully folks will think through how they will handle being accosted by someone over something as petty as a "flash" of their weapon.

I especially liked Rob72's post #61 as suggestions on how to immediately deal with the person confronting you!

Great Thread!

-Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by FknRa View Post
    Thats Awesome (seriously). I never would have thought of that.

I can picture the LEO's face.

"well i guess my cover garment isn't good enough sir, I guess I'll just take it off"

officer "but you, but I, but its, grumble grumble, well informed citizen, grumble grumble"
    We've got folks from all camps here: active LE & Mil, Reserve and retired, EMS, Fire, & Civilian. Word of advice, in general terms: you may be "right", but the job of Public Service is to maintain order and peace. That means sometimes everyone involved gets a "talking to", a reminder not to get in someone else's face so things don't go downhill.

I can tell you, from personal experience, if a white collar/blue collar professional got in my face on a call, I would be understanding of their anxiety/grief/whatever. To a point. Bust my nuts with his "rights", and they would get the bare minimum protocol demanded. Which frequently ain't real comfortable. Most folks in the field are willing to work with you; be a pain in the arse, and be advised, our duty is to the community, not the individual.

Individuals can receive individual attention and allowance, or the needs of the community may take precedent- either way can be justified beyond challenge 99% of the time, depending on the Officer/Provider's feelings about the scene.

As described, it was just a "talking to", the officer feeling things out, without having to take a full interview.

"As described, it was just a "talking to", the officer feeling things out, without having to take a full interview."

Actually, I think it was a bit more complicated. The citizen over-reacted and stuck his nose where it didn't belong, and the cop chose to intimidate him into doing things he didn't have to, which was an abuse of his police powers. The correct procedure would have been for the cop to tell the concerned citizen that the person was licensed to carry, and then suggest that the person be more careful to keep his weapon concealed. The fact that the cop rousted him over a minor matter tells me that the cop is more than a little badge-heavy.
    NRA Benefactor member
    Michigan Antique Arms Collectors life member
    Ohio Gun Collectors member

Opinions expressed here are based upon Michigan state law ONLY. Other state laws may differ. Know and observe your local laws.

My Opinion Is Worth What You Pay For It...

Let it go...

OMO

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links