Locked and Cocked: How do you carry? - Page 2

Locked and Cocked: How do you carry?

This is a discussion on Locked and Cocked: How do you carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; S&W 638 - revolver, so no real issue. though i could leave it cocked, i don't. dunno if that actually constitutes condition 2, as its ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Locked and Cocked: How do you carry?

S&W 638 - revolver, so no real issue. though i could leave it cocked, i don't. dunno if that actually constitutes condition 2, as its apples and oranges

both XD's (40SC and 45compact) - just waiting on me to stick my finger where the sun don't shine....

1911 - cocked and locked, cond 1, because otherwise, its just an club... although, with some holsters, i haveta be more aware of the safety than with others. getting in and out of the car and some other activities, i've made the uncomfortable observation that my ambidextrous safety occassionally gets turned down. im looking for solutions....

ruger P series - made the mistake of trading in my DC model... man, i loved that feature. but again, any pistol with an empty chamber is a waste of space

Condition 3 at my place.

Condition 1 anywhere else.*

The first time I carried in public I carried condition 3. I was nervous.

Condition 1 for me on my 1911.

Senior Moderator
    Between my husband and myself we own six 1911s. My carry gun is a Kimber Ultra CDP 1911. 99.999% of the time it is condition one, cocked and locked. That other 0.001% of the time it cocked and unlocked. I have unwavering faith in my handgun. I know that my gun will never do anything I have not made it do and the grip safety and the fact that my holsters protect against trigger manipulation.

Not long ago, at the shop, I was reaching for a box and my gun became visible, like the guy in the article, a concerned customer said, "Do you know that the hammer is back on your gun?"
    "Certainly," I said, "It's a 1911. I wouldn't carry it any other way."

My Para P1345 cocked and locked, my wifes Kahr P9 one in the chamber, Mossberg 590 full mag empty chamber.

condition 3 HD and carry. bug is a revolver. it's just what i'm comfortable with, and how i've trained. i understand there are disadvantages.

Doa search on cocked and locked you will see it has been discussed a lot along with do you carry one in the chamber ..

That said i carry it C&L no point anyother way .. now if i was packing in that smart carry with the muzzle pointing at my Tool i think i would rethink Cocked and locked..

1911 - Condition 1. It's already been said, but I'll say it again to help drill it in. Carrying a gun in Condition 3 will get you killed. What's that you say? How's it get you killed if it's not even loaded? EXACTLY!!! A gun in Condition 3 is only as good as a bludgeon. Have your friends practice with you with airsoft guns or water pistols playing the bad guys. I'd be willing to bet the farm you'll "die" every time, even KNOWING when the attack is coming!
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

one in tube

I always carry my Glock 39 fully ready. Anything else is a waste of time.
    God Bless our troops,Pass the ammo
    carry guns,g30,g39
    1911,colt defender 90 / .45
    OLD F##T W/ .45:
    my avater is part of the reason i feel the way i do.

i recently found this clip...the robber was sentenced to six years + 1 year for agg. robbery w/weapon

Last edited by juking; July 8th, 2007 at 02:18 PM. Reason: additions
    semper fi

How many times was the robber hit?

I carry my Glock with one in the chamber ready to go. Before that I carried my USP cocked and locked.

Quote Originally Posted by juking View Post
    Do you all think that there is any benefit, to chambering a round to possibly scare off a would be attacker? I keep my HD shotgun loaded w/ a full mag, chamber empty, safety off..Maybe a pump action shotgun sounds a little more intimidating..I also realize that chambering a round may not scare individuals who may be drunk, on drugs, etc..
    I certainly wouldn't rely on the sound of chambering a shotgun shell to scare off an opponent. However, there are good reasons for storing/carrying a shotgun without a round in the chamber. Without a round in the chamber you can store it with the firing pin spring at rest, rather than under tension. Also, most shotgun safeties only block trigger movement, rather than blocking the firing mechanism, so a shotgun in condition one isn't quite as safe as a good handgun or military rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by kavity View Post
    How many times was the robber hit?
    three times..to the right of the clip there are details, telling what type of weapon and ammo was used by the clerk..
    semper fi

Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    I carry my Glock with one in the chamber ready to go. Before that I carried my USP cocked and locked.

I certainly wouldn't rely on the sound of chambering a shotgun shell to scare off an opponent. However, there are good reasons for storing/carrying a shotgun without a round in the chamber. Without a round in the chamber you can store it with the firing pin spring at rest, rather than under tension. Also, most shotgun safeties only block trigger movement, rather than blocking the firing mechanism, so a shotgun in condition one isn't quite as safe as a good handgun or military rifle.
    thanks for the tip...
    semper fi

While I'm a died in the wool Condition One guy, I'm not so sure that Condition Three is such a "death wish".

One of the guys I shoot a bi-monthly combat pistol match with starts every scenario in Condition Three with a Glock. He also carries it that way. He is pretty freaking fast, probably faster on his first shot than 75% of the guys there. As a matter of fact I shot with him for 3 months before I had any idea he was doing it. Then I started watching him, fast and smooth.

I asked him why he carried that way and he told me with small kids in the house he just felt better with the extra precaution. So he practiced that way at the matches.

We're shooting again this WED and if I remember I'll try to get some of his times.

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links