Locked and Cocked: How do you carry?

This is a discussion on Locked and Cocked: How do you carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I found this article to be very informative. What are your thoughts on this subject? My weapon is in condition #3 at home. What condition ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Locked and Cocked: How do you carry?

I found this article to be very informative. What are your thoughts on this subject? My weapon is in condition #3 at home. What condition do you all carry in?

http://www.smartcarry.com/cocklock.htm
    semper fi

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    I keep a Glock on me at all times, or close when in bed. I always have a round chambered. Not exactly "condition 1" like a 1911 because the Glock safe action system is not single-action and there's no external safety, but essentially the same as condition 1. Pull trigger to fire.

I predict that further responses from 1911 afficionados on this forum are going to be 100% condition 1.

As I tend to wear the G19 or the 642, both I would consider in the Condition #1, with my 1911 style handguns I use Condition #2.

I feel that if I were to use a handgun in a defensive posture, I would have the time to access it. If I do not, I also carry a large pocket knife, and an expandable baton. The ability for an attacker to close ground when they are brandishing a weapon is the reason that I also carry additional "resources" as you just might not have time to draw and aim before your attacker is on you. Remember that most handgun altercations occur within 7-10 feet from each other. Therefore, if I have to draw my handgun, logic states that I would need a little distance, and/or time to draw before the attacker is too close. Also, this means that if I ever need it, I need to be ready to draw and fire extremely quickly. Just a thought as you carry without a chambered round.

My two cents worth!
    NRA Member

"...the Constitution does not say Government shall decree the right to keep and bear arms. The Constitution says ‘the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.’” - Ronald Reagan

P3AT, Glock 19, and XD 40 - all with one in the chamber - when at home, all but one in a quick access safe - the P3AT is one me, within my reach/under my control at all times. When on the road, any one (or two) of the three carry pieces are on me.

I have others, but they are kept in the big safe, and not loaded. Not really self defense guns.

Otherwise,I might as well carry a bag of rocks to throw at a BG.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

I found this pic to be funny, because it appears to show a jock strap holster, w/ a cocked and locked Para Warthog (my weapon of choice) inserted..I understand that there are two internal secondary safeties, but..
    semper fi

I carry my PX4 in condition 1: round in the chamber, decocked, safety off. When I get my K9, which is DAO, it will be the same - draw and pull the trigger - simple. I've never had to defend my life and don't know how that kind of stress will effect me. Best to keep it simple.
    Check out the Free State Project

How does the economy really work? Mises Institute

Laissez Faire Books offers an extensive collection of books on liberty, free markets, philosophy, economics, politics and history.

Do you all think that there is any benefit, to chambering a round to possibly scare off a would be attacker? I keep my HD shotgun loaded w/ a full mag, chamber empty, safety off..Maybe a pump action shotgun sounds a little more intimidating..I also realize that chambering a round may not scare individuals who may be drunk, on drugs, etc..
    semper fi

Full size 1911. Condition 1; cocked and locked.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

I carry my Stinger C & L, condition one. I use a well made holster with a slide guard. Once the holster is molded to the safety, it's close to impossible to accidentally swipe it off while wearing it:

As for the HD shotgun, my Benelli is my primary HD gun. I also keep it in condition one. I don't believe there's any advantage to letting any intruder know that I have a firearm until I'm ready, and I'm not waiting till that point to load my chamber.

I keep mine stored in a V-Line long gun case for security and safety:

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

Quote Originally Posted by juking View Post
    Do you all think that there is any benefit, to chambering a round to possibly scare off a would be attacker? I keep my HD shotgun loaded w/ a full mag, chamber empty, safety off..Maybe a pump action shotgun sounds a little more intimidating..I also realize that chambering a round may not scare individuals who may be drunk, on drugs, etc..
    Well, I would rather scare them off by brandishing a firearms than to attempt to pull off a Hollywood chambering to ward off an attacker. Again, I will not pull out the handgun unless my life is in danger, and if that is the case, I am pullling it out to save my life or the life of another. If it is that immediate of a threat, I do not think that the chamberig of a round will do anything other than commit the felon to an action that is not desired.

Let them decide if your gun is real or not. Let them determine whether of not to continue to pose a life endangering threat to you.

Chambering to me tell me "Duck and fire"...

Again, my two cents... Hope it helps!
    NRA Member

"...the Constitution does not say Government shall decree the right to keep and bear arms. The Constitution says ‘the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.’” - Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    I carry condition 1 at all times. It does no good to carry a weapon that is not in "ready" condition. We practice draw and fire scenarios so we can respond as quick as possible to a threat.

Having to stop and chamber a round adds precious time that it takes to respond. What if you are carrying something in your weak hand at the time that you need to draw and fire? Will you rack your slide with your shoe?

I carry my child in my weak hand and think of this often. I also practice drawing while carrying something in my weak hand. It changes your body's balance when you add 40lbs to your weak arm and draw.

Anything other than condition 1 is just not an option for me.

IMHO
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

VIP Member
    I carry Condition One.

"Cocked and locked," essentially.

CZ P01 -- 14rd magazine plus one in the pipe. It's a decocker / no-safety model, so it's ready to go. Same basic condition with my other pistols, so long as they're in play.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Administrator
    I carry in #1. No reason to carry in any other manner.
    "Just blame Sixto"

XD-45 Always condition one.
    Semper Fi!

Engineers Up!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links