Another Store to add to the list...

This is a discussion on Another Store to add to the list... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My sister and I went to the IKEA store in Frisco this weekend, and right to the left of the entrance is a big "no ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Store to add to the list...

Another Store to add to the list...

My sister and I went to the IKEA store in Frisco this weekend, and right to the left of the entrance is a big "no guns allowed" sign. Now, yes, it is not the 30-06 sign that is required by Texas state law to truly not allow concealed handgun permittes to carry inside the store, BUT, I will not go into an establishment that thinks it is their right to attempt to prevent me from exercising my rights.

Because of that I did not enter the store, as I can find what I need at other stores. I did call and talk to the manager, and he stated that it was company policy, and that he was not responsible, but asked if I could understand why they wouldn't want to "attempt" to deter people from bringing in weapons. He also stated that you shouldn't need a handgun to purchase items in the store. Cute, real cute.

I told him that he lost my business due to his lack of understanding of basic rights (while not informing him that his sign holds no weight). Should you have an IKEA near you, you might want to have the same discussion with their store managers, should you fel the need to actually enter their stores. Again, I say that if they don't want law abiding citizens in their stores, then I surely do not need to be there.
    NRA Member

"...the Constitution does not say Government shall decree the right to keep and bear arms. The Constitution says ‘the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.’” - Ronald Reagan

2. Remove Ads

I am not from texas, but in talking with a business owner friend of mine that once worked/owned a business in Texas, I learned something. He was fully aware of the sign requirements, and put up a sign on his business. Not because he was anti gun, but because insurance was cheaper if he did - (what a screwed up world!). He purposefully put up a non 30.06 sign to fullfill insurance requirements, but also did not infringe of legal carry inside the store.

His suggestion - if it isn't a legal 30.06 sign - carry. Why? its either purposefully a non legally binding sign, or put up out of sheer ignorance, and stupidity.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    I am not from texas, but in talking with a business owner friend of mine that once worked/owned a business in Texas, I learned something. He was fully aware of the sign requirements, and put up a sign on his business. Not because he was anti gun, but because insurance was cheaper if he did - (what a screwed up world!). He purposefully put up a non 30.06 sign to fullfill insurance requirements, but also did not infringe of legal carry inside the store.

His suggestion - if it isn't a legal 30.06 sign - carry. Why? its either purposefully a non legally binding sign, or put up out of sheer ignorance, and stupidity.
    Seems to me, if the sign is not legal, and is for insurance purpose's, if they ever had to use the insurance, it would be null and void because the sign wasn't of legal stats. Kinda like telling your homeowners insurer you have deadbolts on your door for a lower premium( and you don't ) and when you get broken into , they don't pay.
    So do some of these business owners put the "non-legal signs" up assuming gun carriers know its not legal and can carry there?

Personally, I think that DMan is correct on the second half of his statement. I think people are aware that Texas has concealed handgun laws, and do not want handguns in their offices, stores, or residences. Therefore, instead of taking the time to find out IF they can prevent someone access, and instead of taking time to know how to properly post a "No guns" sign, they put these simple signs up that can be bought anywhere.

As far as I see it, if you are that ignorant that you would waste the time putting up a sign that is incorrect and not legal, it is the same as putting a sign up that states "The Constitution and Bill of Rights are not welcome here". All it does is upset those that abide by these laws, and work hard to preserve them. Stores and people such as these are not worth my hard earned money. I'll find house trinkets elsewhere...
    NRA Member

"...the Constitution does not say Government shall decree the right to keep and bear arms. The Constitution says ‘the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.’” - Ronald Reagan

The IKEA store in Round Rock, Texas also has the "circle with diagonal over a handgun" signage. I know that such signage doesn't conform to the 30.06 requirement of Texas law - but it does let you know where they stand. From a recent face-to-face conversation with an assistant manager - "the no-guns sign" is a company policy.

I then advised her that planning to spend eight grand on furniture somewhere else was now my policy. She just shrugged and walked away. I did the same.

IKEA is a crappy over priced store anyway.

Heck, I'd pass one of them and shop someplace else even if they weren't overtly anti gun.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by robere View Post
    So do some of these business owners put the "non-legal signs" up assuming gun carriers know its not legal and can carry there?
    I know for a fact at least one business owner did. As far as insurance goes - the insurance companies are large companies and just wanted the place posted - they didn't mandate if the sign was legal post for the state - According to James (the former Texas business owner) the insurance company didn't care - they just wanted the box checked, and when people from the insurance company came buy, they just wanted to see the sign.

He has since retired/sold out due to a medical reasons (heart attack moved out west to be closer to his family. So he doesn't have supper current information about Texas - he sold out about a year ago I think it was.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Good info. A new IKEA just opened up in Draper, Utah and I have been wondering if I should pay the store a visit. Now I don't even need to worry about it.
    Semper Paratus (Always Ready)

Aww man. I love IKEA. This policy isn't going to stop me from going there nor will it stop me from cc-ing inside. AFAIK VA state law basically allows me to do what I want and I can only be asked to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    IKEA is a crappy over priced store anyway.

Heck, I'd pass one of them and shop someplace else even if they weren't overtly anti gun.

Are you kidding??? IKEA is very inexpensive and the stuff they have is quality for the price. If you aren't looking for furniture to last you 10 years then IKEA is awesome. IKEA is designed for young, broke people (newlyweds, college students, first apartment/house, ect) that want nice fashionable furniture in their places. I furnished my entire apartment for under $1k.

I think he meant "overpriced" for the kind of stuff they carry in there...

No CCW-no dinero!
    Why is it that you always find things at the last place you looked?
    Because when you find something-you stop looking-Mooch

I'm a lil confused...whats the deal with 30.06? Who carry's a 30.06 into a store?? Last I heard, that was not a pistol round....is there a problem in Texas where rednecks carry around hi-powered rifles into stores?
    Better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6

Aviation Machinist's Mate USN 93-97
    NAF Atsugi, Japan CVW 5
    CV62 USS Independence
    HS-12 Wyverns, VS-21 Fighting Redtails

Quote Originally Posted by HnKuspDude View Post
    I'm a lil confused...whats the deal with 30.06? Who carry's a 30.06 into a store?? Last I heard, that was not a pistol round....is there a problem in Texas where rednecks carry around hi-powered rifles into stores?
    Assuming you are not kidding.

In Texas, the signs must meet the standards set out in one of the laws.
    The number is 30.06... very amusing actually.
    "When a man attempts to deal with me by force, I answer him—by force.
    "... No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had the right to choose: his own." -John Galt, Atlas Shrugged

Member Array Cactus Jack Garner's Avatar
    I think these stores should be legally required to also put up a sign that says:

VICTIM ZONES. NOBODY IS ARMED ON THE PREMISES. CRIMINALS WELCOME
    "Mercy is for the weak and the unprepared."

www.survivalmonkey.com

after seeing a few of these threads, does anyone know of a net resource (anywhere) that tracks all of the stores that do this? i'd love to have some more folks to write letters/emails to. i also don't want to be giving any chains any money that have those signs in places i'm not familiar with.

This is good to know. I also live in Frisco, and I'm trying to make a mental list of all the places I will not be shopping at. Truthfully though, I've never set foot in IKEA and really had no plans to in the near future...now I just have another excuse to stay away from them.
    NRA Member

"I like a man who grins when he fights."
    ~Winston Churchill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links