The "FBI Statistics" everyone always mentions...

This is a discussion on The "FBI Statistics" everyone always mentions... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ..where could I find those? Countless articles and forum posts discuss these interesting statistics about shooting incidents and whatnot and I would like to read ...

Thread: The "FBI Statistics" everyone always mentions...

The "FBI Statistics" everyone always mentions...

..where could I find those? Countless articles and forum posts discuss these interesting statistics about shooting incidents and whatnot and I would like to read the actual statistics instead of hearing them 3rd person. I have even found myself passing on these stats to others, so I just wanna make sure I am not breeding ignorance.

Does anyone have a link or know where I can get a copy of these?

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Here you go...http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/ Enjoy, a lot of interesting info to read, and a lot of worthless too.

Here is the link that deal with guns http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/guns.htm

Chances are you are breeding ignorance if you are quoting stats 3rd person, or do not understand the context that the stats were taken in.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I just did a quick scan of those links and I was really looking for stats like:

x% of shootings occur at x feet. x number of shots are fired on average. x number of people are involved. ect

Do those links have those stats as well?

I'm not sure about U.S. Dept. of Justice... However, I think NYPD and or NY State Police have databases which compiles that type of statistics for their jurisdictions...

Not sure where to find those public records... maybe someone else knows how to locate those.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Administrator
    I've seen them, but most of that stuff is old. I hear the "stats" being quoted often, but I'd have to call BS on most of them. I'll look around and see if I cant find something that will work.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Remember that the FBI isn't the only game in town. Compilation of your states from multiple sources, when investigating or quoting, is a good thing.

FBI's Crime In The U.S.

NationMaster crime statistics for nations.

StateMaster crime statistics for states in the U.S.A.

World Criminal Justice Library.

United Nations survey on crime trends.

The above linked U.S. Dept. of Justice web pages.

The NRA Institute for Legislative Action. Now and then, a great article can be found here covering the issues we're concerned with. Often, some great stats are included.

National Center for Education Statistics, run by the U.S. Dept. of Education.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control maintains the National Center for Health Statistics. There are some good general firearms-related and -injury stats there, when attempting to quote legitimate sources of injuries and deaths related to various factors. For example, the 10 Leading Causes of Injury (this one, for 2003, and for violence, not injury in general). One interesting fact: more folks die in the U.S. annually from malignant neoplasm of the pancreas than from firearm injuries. Haul out that one at your next cocktail party.

As suggested, some of the state resources are quite good. I can't seem to find a number of the California ones, at the moment, but there are a few great web sites devoted to crime & punishment stats for the Calif. state prision system and its felons. Some pretty good stuff. Haven't seen the New York items mentioned above.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Links