Handgun purchase in more than one state

This is a discussion on Handgun purchase in more than one state within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My family and home is in Michigan and has been for more than 46 years. I have a Michigan Handgun license, and have been working ...

Thread: Handgun purchase in more than one state

My family and home is in Michigan and has been for more than 46 years. I have a Michigan Handgun license, and have been working in Texas and maintianing a residence for the last 18 months my assignment is open ended. I was able to get a residence Texas hunting license.

My question is can I legally purchase a handgun in Texas and once I return back to Michigan have it registered with out breaking any laws.

I have read the BATF rules and FOPA rules which seems to say this could be legal having dual residency. Does anyone have any first hand experiences. I would appreciate any and all input.
    Last edited by Detroittwister; July 8th, 2007 at 07:43 PM.
    ** NRA Life Member***

Colt Defender .45
    Kel-Tec .380

Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day.

you can buy a gun in TX and have it shipped to an FFL in MI to have it transfered to you but a TX FFL won't transfer a handgun to you if you are a MI resident.

Do you have to register guns in Michigan?

Quote Originally Posted by Detroittwister View Post
    My family and home is in Michigan and has been for more than 46 years. I have a Michigan Handgun license, and have been working in Texas and maintianing a residence for the last 18 months my assignment is open ended. I was able to get a residence Texas hunting license.

My question is can I leagally purchase a handgun in Texas and once I return back to Michigan have it registered with out breaking any laws.

I have read the BATF rules and FOPA rules which seems to say this could be legal having dual residency. Does anyone have any first hand experiences. I would appreciate any and all input.
    I didn't know Michigan was a state that you had to register your guns in. Too bad if that is true.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Unless Texas has a state law that restricts the purchase, Federal law will allow it.

My primary residence is located in the state of Kansas (suburb of Kansas City) and I also have a second home in Phoenix.

I have purchased a couple of handguns in Arizona with no difficulties. The first time I used my Kansas drivers license and provided proof of residence in Arizona (property tax bill and utilities bills)....By the time I purchased the second, I had an Arizona state I.D. to use.
    • Beretta 92 fs
    • Beretta 8000 Cougar
    • Bushmaster M4
    • CZ P-01
    • Kahr CW9
    • Kel-Tec P3-AT
    • Sig 239
    • Smith & Wesson M&P 9c
    • Smith & Wesson 646 .357 mag
    • Springfield Milspec 1911
    • Springfield XD-9
    • Taurus PT-145
    • Walther P22

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by havegunjoe View Post
    I didn't know Michigan was a state that you had to register your guns in. Too bad if that is true.

It is at least for handguns.

As for the purchase of a handgun out of state, the above mentioned process is correct, you need to have a FFL holder in MI. fax or mail a copy of thier FFL to the shop in Texas, and they will ship the handgun to MI where you will have to do the paperwork in MI upon your return.

I travel out of state alot and buy up some pistols while I'm out an d about, it's almost to the point where I may just get a copy of my local FFLs FFL to carry with me... I'm in the process of having a pistol shipped home right now as a matter of fact.

One loophole is if you can pull of a dual state residence, I'm not really sure how that works but have heard about in the past, similar to being active Military, if your going to be in TX long enough you can become a Texas resident and get your pistol there.

If you've been there for 18 months and are renting or leasing an apt. you should be able to become a TX resideent as long as you can provide the usual documentation ie. lease with TX address, bank statement, utility bills etc.

I don't have any info on non Military dual residence. You may wish to contact the Texs DMV, and see if you have to give up your DL to get a state ID. If you have the above mentioned docs. you may be able to get a state ID, and maintain your Mi DL, but I could be wrong.

Links