ABC News & Philadelphia Gun Story

This is a discussion on ABC News & Philadelphia Gun Story within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here's a story and video that ABC News aired tonight. Watch the video (there's a short commercial to start). They actually give air time to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ABC News & Philadelphia Gun Story

1943 - 2009

ABC News & Philadelphia Gun Story

Here's a story and video that ABC News aired tonight. Watch the video (there's a short commercial to start). They actually give air time to the pro-gun side.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    I won't watch it. You have to be lying.

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    I did not think that was pro gun at all.

My guess is that of those 230 some murders none of them were done by a person with a CHL. I would guess again that none of those murders were carried out by some one that bought a gun legally.
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Philadelphia urban leaders say all they want is to restrict gun purchases to one a month, and require a yearly $10 registration fee to target those who buy guns in bulk and sell to criminals.
    Funny, seems to me that neither of those would have any effect on people that don't follow the laws.

It was good to see the other side of things given some air time as well.

1943 - 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy Jimmy View Post
    I did not think that was pro gun at all.
    I guess you missed the second part of that story, where the reporter interviewed the State Representative who has a concealed weapons permit?

You don't think that part was pro-gun?

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Well, for the MSM that was about as 'fair and balanced' as it gets. It would seem that the "guns don't kill.." message is getting out so that now we may be able to continue to address the real problem of gun violence.

Quote Originally Posted by LastManOut View Post
    .... so that now we may be able to continue to address the real problem of gun violence.
    I hate that term.. GUN VIOLENCE... how come Gun Violence, or gun crime is so acceptable, yet we never hear of "Fist Violence" or "Beer Bottle Violence" or "Knife Violence" or "2x4 Violence"

It comes down to that violence is violence - regardless of the instrument that is used.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Understood. I was considering what the MSM and anti's use as a banner to push their agenda (gun violence). Their ire would be better directed to the real problem.
    You are correct, it is a battle of words.

"Rural sensibilities" rule the gun debate

(Sarcasm on) I love that line..."rural sensibilities."

So many of us heer on this heer forum carry concealed so we can hide our weapons from bears and deer. I mean, out here in the sticks, where I live, this is necessary. Ya jes' never know when them lions and tigers will stalk ya 'n sneak in fer the kill. (Spit terbacky)

Now, if I could just find my toothbrush so I can go brush my one remaining tooth... 'N whar is that sister/wife...? Soooieee! (Sarcasm off)

They just don't seem to have a clue that we carry because we live in a world where we need to take responsibility for protecting our lives and the lives of our loved ones. And we live in a world where some among us have no regard for the life or property of others. And some of us will not stick our heads in the sand any longer.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post
    (Sarcasm on) I love that line..."rural sensibilities."

So many of us heer on this heer forum carry concealed so we can hide our weapons from bears and deer. I mean, out here in the sticks, where I live, this is necessary. Ya jes' never know when them lions and tigers will stalk ya 'n sneak in fer the kill. (Spit terbacky)
    Well yeah! Everyone knows the first thing mountain lions look for is a gun on your hip. They hoard those things, so you gotta keep it hidden when you're out in the woods...

You're exactly right. So called "rural sensibilities" have nothing whatsoever to do with concealed carry. That's almost exclusively an urban sensibility. Now, with open carry, it might be different.

"Any measure we give Philadelphia," Cappelli said, "any new regulation and new authority to regulate firearms, will not impact the very element that is terrorizing that city."

Let's not be too hard on ABC. While the story is definitely slanted towards the anti-gun POV, give them credit for posting an opposing viewpoint. Just a year or two ago, you'd have never seen the comment by state Rep. Cappelli or they'd have slanted it to make him look like a gun "nut". In fact, the story makes PHILADELPHIA look foolish with some of the comments the city officials make. I though it actually funny that someone said the city simply wants to require a yearly $10 registration fee to target those who buy guns in bulk and sell to criminals! I don't know which is more stupid, the statement or the fact they allowed it to be printed?

Personally I'd rather see the city arrest and jail people who buy guns and KNOWINGLY sell to criminals. Then again, I suppose if the city did that, they wouldn't be able to collect their $10 fee.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    I did watch the whole clip, it seems to me that the congressmen let the lie stand that the 213 deaths were all like the poor 5 year old. He did not point out that most of the violence was probably BG on BG. He did not point out that one gun a month would not stop criminals from getting as many guns as they want. He did not point out that the local black market gun seller does not walk into the local gun store and buy 100 guns and then go out and sell them to bad guys, and if he did that a $10 up charge would make no difference anyway.

Yes ABC aired 30 some seconds of a CHL holder but I bet the best parts of that interview was on the cutting room floor, either that or that congressman is not very eloquent.

How I wish some organization (NRA, GOA, or some other group) would run public service announcements with the facts in them.
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

i thought it was a good story. it did present both sides.

1943 - 2009
    I did watch the whole clip, it seems to me that the congressmen let the lie stand that the 213 deaths were all like the poor 5 year old. He did not point out that most of the violence was probably BG on BG. He did not point out that one gun a month would not stop criminals from getting as many guns as they want. He did not point out that the local black market gun seller does not walk into the local gun store and buy 100 guns and then go out and sell them to bad guys, and if he did that a $10 up charge would make no difference anyway.

Yes ABC aired 30 some seconds of a CHL holder but I bet the best parts of that interview was on the cutting room floor, either that or that congressman is not very eloquent.

How I wish some organization (NRA, GOA, or some other group) would run public service announcements with the facts in them.
    Yeah, maybe Representative Cappelli didn't address all those issues, (he did mention the limits on gun purchases, saying that they wouldn't work) but then again, maybe the reporter didn't bring them up, either. You're right, tho, his interview was probably heavily edited.

The point to remember, however, is that if this piece had been aired by NBC or CBS, it would have been 100% anti-gun. They would have made no attempt to show both sides. ABC deserves some credit for being fair, maybe not equal 50-50 balance, but at least 75-25. That's more than our side usually gets from the media.

BTW, Mr. Cappelli is a PA State Representative, not a U.S. Congressman.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

New Member Array doubletappinfool's Avatar

Unhappy

He did not point out that one gun a month would not stop criminals from getting as many guns as they want. He did not point out that the local black market gun seller does not walk into the local gun store and buy 100 guns and then go out and sell them to bad guys, and if he did that a $10 up charge would make no difference anyway.
    Living in Philly and watching this occur all around me make this a VERY personal and frankly emotion filled situation for me. When I see any press on further gun control I want to scream. I would love to take one of our "all about the safety of the people politics" out on the street one night. I am a legal gun owner with 0 criminal history and not as much as a speeding ticket (though I honestly look like a biker or an arian brother though I am neither). I guraentee that I could purchase a handgun illegally within one hour. I have 0 doubts.

We stand at the same crossroads that this country has been at for generations. Leave the honest gun owner alone. Simply his presents in the community as an individual that is armed and willing to defend his personal and family's rights and safety makes him more effective in dispelling violent crime of all facets in his neighborhood.

Very few people from my neighborhood have ever heard me speak openly about the fact that I own firearms. BUT I do not hide the cases when coming and going. I have a hard time believing that anyone casing my block for a "soft target" (rented house who's college tenets are away for the summer ) would even allow the thought of entering my home cross their mind.

I really do wish that the NRA or another 2nd amendment supporting organization would step in and help us become proactive. When we see situations arise that will cause the Anti's to start pushing further laws why can't the gun owners step in and suggest resolutions. We are continually fight with our backs to the wall. We are ABSOLUTELY REACTIVE... One man can easily be ignored but that is why we have orgs. such as the NRA, to form a unified voice that can not be easily ignored.

Maybe that would help our overall stance in that we do still demand our safety AND our liberties, but that our firearms are truely a last line of defense and we are willing to help stop the violence (of all types) well before someone fires a shot on our block?

Maybe I am just being naive but god knows our current course of action isn't working very well, just ask my fiancee who can't fall asleep unless I am home. The worse part is my district hasn't had a single murder this year but that won't last.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links