How many Times do you chamber the same round - Page 2

How many Times do you chamber the same round

This is a discussion on How many Times do you chamber the same round within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Auto's are pickie. Chambering then unchambering and doing this over and over again might compress your round very slightly. But in my honest opinion a ...

View Poll Results: How many times do you chamber the same round?

Voters
135. You may not vote on this poll
  • Just Once!!

12 8.89%
  • Twice

12 8.89%
  • 3-4 times

31 22.96%
  • 5+

21 15.56%
  • I don't keep track, I change it when the bullet shrinks!

59 43.70%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How many Times do you chamber the same round

VIP Member
    Auto's are pickie. Chambering then unchambering and doing this over and over again might compress your round very slightly. But in my honest opinion a good weapon can handle slight tolerences. If your weapon can not, then your weapon might need some looking after or maybe its not the weapon you can trust. A simple polishing is all it might need. I had to do this to my Taurus PT945 to be able to trust CorBon DPX +P. It wanted to hang up on the oversize hollowpoints once in awhile. But now its a trustworthy weapon and round for me. I say chambering and unchambering rounds should not make a big enough difference to hurt proformance of your weapon.

dgb
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Hennessy View Post
    I really do not unload my weapon. Does this really make a difference in how long your ammo last?
    Been lurking for a while, finally have something (hopefully) worthwhile to contribute.

I carry a Para Night Hawg in .45 ACP. It is a 10+1 round 1911 pistol, so it has a "double stack" magazine. I do not use it for home defense, so I unloaded it every evening and reloaded it every morning. After a month or two I noticed significant deformation of the 2nd and 3rd rounds in the magazine. I did not notice any change in the round being repeatedly chambered. At this time I was using Speer Gold Dot 185 grain ammo.

The first picture shows rounds 2 and 3 (L to R). Notice the significant deformation in the case just behind the bullet.

The second picture shows round 2 on top of the magazine, suggesting that the deformation is likely being caused by the two indentations in the side of the magazine. Remember that this is a "double stack" mag, so the indentations are larger than in other "single stack" 1911 mags.

The third picture shows (L to R) an unused Speer 185 GR, a currently-in-use Federal Hydra-Shok 230 GR, and the "well-used" number 2 Speer 185 GR.

I spent a lot of time looking at this and discussing it with my local gun store experts and came to the conclusion that the shorter 185 GR bullet was not supporting the casing where the magazine was pressing on the sides. Repeatedly loading from that magazine would repeatedly subject the number 2 round to this abuse, with the expected result.

Anyone else ever see anything like this?

-----

I now use the 230 GR rounds exclusively. I also load and unload my pistol using a separate magazine (saves having to "top off", which I was not doing before). Either of these changes alone would likely have eliminated the problem.
    Attached Images

VIP Member
    dgb I have never seen this so I do not know what to say. This has never happan in any of my weapons. But I still believe it is not the problem with the ammo but a problem with your weapon. I still believe a good weapon can handle small tolerences.

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    I said i don't keep track, but now that I think about it more I shoot about once every three weeks and I drop the mag and clear the hp from weapon and mag and load 5 mags with FMJ. Shoot up 150 to 200 rounds load hp back in the mag cock and lock drop the mag and put on more in it.

I shoot up the carry ammo when we change the clocks.

So the most would be 7 or 8 and the least would be once depending on the luck of the draw.
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

I do keep track, but I'll run through 2-3 cycles before shooting off the ammo.

Senior Moderator
    I don't keep up but, I don't rechamber a lot and I won't if the round looks short, eaten or otherwise funny.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I dont have a set system, but I really dont load/unload all that often.
    Me too.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Tough Question...

Well, I wish I could honestly say I unloaded my handguns like Wild Bill Hickok unloaded his...I PRACTICED every afternoon. But, the truth is, some calibers & gun designs are more likely to "setback" (from repeated bullet nose pressure against the feed-ramp) than others. The .357 Sig is especially prone because of the short bullet-seating surface. With straight-walled calibers (9mm, .45 ACP) it's less likely. In revolvers it obviously is of NO concern.

There's a school of thought that suggests you have substantially less chance of a AD/ND if you DON'T unload your handgun every night. Just leave the round chambered. That way, you'll ALWAYS treat it like it's loaded...because it IS LOADED. You're still, of course, responsible for preventing unauthorized access.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

VIP Member
    I'm new to semi-auto's. Is there any harm in just leaving it cocked and locked at all times ( between shooting ), then before going to shoot, drop the magazine, load it with practice ammo and leave the one self defense ammo in the chamber and shoot it ? I dont see unploading my XD once I start carrying. I plan on just leaving it cocked and locked in the holster.

dgb
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Hennessy View Post
    dgb I have never seen this so I do not know what to say. This has never happan in any of my weapons. But I still believe it is not the problem with the ammo but a problem with your weapon. I still believe a good weapon can handle small tolerences.
    I am quite certain that if all I did was load the pistol and shoot it, there would be no problem at all regardless of which round was used. I did this many times when I first got the pistol. Never a problem, never any deformed or damaged cases.

This problem only showed up when I was loading and unloading every day and couldn't get to the range for a few months to shoot it up and reload with fresh ammo. It only happened with the 185 GR ammo.

If someone has a double stack mag and some time, an experiment might be in order:
    * Fully load the mag with 185 GR .45 ACP
    * Briskly pop the top round off (simulate chambering the top round)
    * Reinsert the top round
    * Repeat x 100 or 200
    * Repeat with 230 GR .45 ACP

Perhaps the fully compressed magazine spring repeatedly smacking the number 2 round against those depressions (I'm sure they have a name) will leave a mark. I'm not sure that the magazine or the ammo was intended to withstand this type of "abuse".

Or perhaps I am off base here, and the ammo should be able to withstand cycling (unfired) through the gun many hundreds of times without damage or wear.

I have a theory that even if I rechambered a round a few too many times and the pressure increased it shouldn't hurt my XD, because it is rated for +p and I carry standard pressure rounds anyway.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

I’m in the countless zone so far as I practice pretty regularly with my carry gun, but only shoot up my carry ammo every year or so.

I mark my “chambered” rounds with an alcohol pen on the primers. I check its measurement using calipers to check for setback. When I chamber the round I do so by riding the slide forward gently. With my Stinger, it strips off the round and chambers very easily, so far very little setback at all. My SIG is another story, there's no riding the slide forward, a round lasts about 10 chamberings in that one.

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

I make it a point to visit the range at least every other month. During each session I expend the defensive rounds, including the chambered one, that have been carried in the gun since the last range visit. When I get home I perform a thorough cleaning and lube followed by reloading with fresh defensive ammo.
    "Society never advances. It recedes as fast on one side as it gains on the other. It undergoes continual change; but this change is not [an improvement]. For everything that is given, something is taken."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

After 3 or 4 times its usually about time to kill some rocks or cardboard. I live on a river so if I'm lucky that chambered round gets used on some sort of rodent fairly often, four legged not two.

I voted before I realized what this thread was about. Bloops

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links