Scared to carry with This holster

This is a discussion on Scared to carry with This holster within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, I've been carrying my glock 23 with one in the pipe for years and have had no problems. I just bought a horizontal shoulder ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scared to carry with This holster

Ok, I've been carrying my glock 23 with one in the pipe for years and have had no problems. I just bought a horizontal shoulder holster and tried it out 1 hour ago. I felt so uncomfortable pointing a loaded gun at everyone behind me. What are your takes on this? Any of you carry horizontally? I can't stand the thought of a loaded glock pointing at my wife in my house.. Sorry title is jacked up..
    Last edited by skystud1; July 9th, 2007 at 11:43 PM. Reason: spelling

Ill fix the title

when i carry that way i can't say it has ever bothered me

Thanks for the edit! I just have some sick fear it'll go off and nuke a little kid.. I know guns don't go off without pulling the trigger and this holster covers the trigger well, so I guess I'll just have to get used to it. I'll do the old trick of racking it but with nothing in the chamber--and see how many times the trigger gets "pulled".. I'll do this for a week to lighten up..

Administrator
    Would you feel better if it was a loaded S&W, Springfield or whatever?

Its not going to do anything you dont make it do, but if you dont like it dont force yourself to like it. Buy a new holster.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Maybe a revolver--I don't have glockitous...I trust the safties on a glock. What are the chances of the gun failing and going off...if the trigger isn't pulled?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by skystud1 View Post
    Maybe a revolver--I don't have glockitous...I trust the safties on a glock. What are the chances of the gun failing and going off...if the trigger isn't pulled?
    None.

If your not comfy with your set up, there are lots and lots of options. If its the Glock, there are a dozens different platforms to choose from. If its the holster there are thousands. You have options...
    "Just blame Sixto"

I carry my Glock 23 in a vertical shoulder holster for precisely the same kind of thinking.

Glad to know I'm not the only one thinking like that. For a while I thought that maybe it was just me because vertical rigs are not that easy to find any more.

I initially carried infront of my hip IWB and every now and then when I sat down, it pointed RIGHT AT MY PACKAGE and also MY FEMORAL ARTERY! I quickly changed that. Was easy to conceal with my body type that way, just weirded me out.
    "Like a muddied spring or polluted well is a righteous man who gives way to the wicked." -Proverbs 25:26

"If the thief is found breaking in, and he is struck so that he dies, there shall be no guilt for his bloodshed..." -Exodus 22:2

thats what I meant, if wierds me out.. I carry iwb behind the hip as well. I guess shooting my sphinctor off is better than killing a bystander. So a glock cannot just go off...........? What happens if the sear breaks or slips? Although glocks are not fully cocked, I hear they still can set off a round.(half cocked)

If you really are worried that a holstered Glock will shoot someone then the first thing you need to do is get beyond that notion, put the gun and holster aside and address whatever it is that makes you worried about carrying.

I'd carry a Glock in any permutation of holster, they don't go off unless you tell them to.

Administrator

Baseless phobia.

The "don't point your firearm at anything you don't wish to destroy" is not applicable to your high quality firearm being safely holstered in a quality holster.

Did you ever set your holstered firearm on the dining room table and then walk in front of it on your way to kitchen?

I dunno I do it all the time.

My classic example.

You are carrying OWB or IWB at the waist in a basically vertical or canted holster.

You are in your home.

You go upstairs wearing your holstered firearm.

Members of your family are on the first floor.

Did you know that your firearm is now pointing directly at the tops of their heads?

Just because there is .75" of plywood between your firearm muzzle and their skulls does not make any difference at all to a bullet.

But, that does not seem to bother the folks that condemn horizontal carry as being unsafe. That's because our floors are not usually transparent & they can't see their kids playing below them.

Keep your high quality firearm in a fitted high quality carry rig...Don't FUSS with it - leave it alone - and then don't worry about your firearm developing a "killer instinct" and a mind of its own.
    It will not go gunning for your family all by itself.

Lead Moderator
    As all said, quality guns don't go off by themselves. However, do what makes you feel comfortable.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    As all said, quality guns don't go off by themselves. However, do what makes you feel comfortable.
    Agreed, but I really do believe you will be fine with a Glock (or any other quality firearm) carried as you suggest. Good luck with whatever you choose!

yeah your right..It is a phobia..thats all. I have nothing to address as noted in a previous post. I have been trained very well for carry and shooting. How many of you would hold a holstered, loaded, gun to your head??

Quote Originally Posted by skystud1 View Post
    How many of you would hold a holstered, loaded, gun to your head??
    Holstered, finger off the trigger?

I'd walk to the fridge with it in my mouth... as long as it didn't have a finger on the trigger.

Then when I get to your fridge, you owe me a beer...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links