New Orleans Aquarium

This is a discussion on New Orleans Aquarium within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I may be going in a couple of weeks. Anyone know if it is posted?...

Thread: New Orleans Aquarium

New Orleans Aquarium

I may be going in a couple of weeks. Anyone know if it is posted?

2. Remove Ads

Hello!

Well, the Aquarium of the Americas was one of our favorite places to go when we lived on the Alabama Gulf Coast and went to N.O. I truely hate New Orleans with a passion but, the one and only thing that is worth entering that cesspool of poverty and crime is the Aquarium of the Americas IMHO.

My family and I have been there over 20 times. I carried there every time as did my wife. It was not posted at all. But, that was before Hurricane Katrina and the infamous gun confiscation the Ray "chocolate" Naggan pulled right after the storm. So, you may get there and find that it is posted not. Just be prepared for that.

Please, if you go, PM me when you get back and tell me how it was. We had heard that nearly every animal in the aquarium died during and after the hurricane. We were very sad to hear that. It is the best aquarium we have ever been to.

Have fun and watch your back.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Thanks.

I heard that the fish died and they crated up the penguins and other animals that they could move and tried to get them out.
    A friend told me that it isn't as good as it used to be.

I checked on the GA aquarium, my gf wants me to go there with her. Its supposed to be really nice. This is what their website says. I found the fishing pole part funny.
    Is there a security check before you get into the Aquarium?

Yes. There are no guns, knives, matches, lighters, fishing poles, outside food, beverage or gum allowed inside the Aquarium.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Fishing poles... that's priceless.

VIP Member
    I can't say that I remember seeing any sort of postings or not at the Aquarium. When we go to NO we stay in the Quarter (car in a secure garage)and basically don't venture out of the Quarter. In my opinion we feel quite safe in the daylight, and at night we just use common sense......don't enter into some of the fringe areas of the Quarter; if you find yourself in an area you consider unsafe (deserted)take a cab out of there ASAP; and best advice, as you walk, merge into a group of others so it appears you are all together in one group. I don't know about now, but there used to be a lot of policeman in and around Bourbon St, many of them dressed as tourists. And finally, if you are challenged with the street scam wager of "I'll bet I can tell you where you got them shoes and what town you got them in" don't take that bet. Just answer "I got them on my feet, and I'm in New Orleans" and keep walking By the way, I think that scam has thankfully expired
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Last time I was at the aquarium, I don't remember it being posted. I always carry when I'm in the French Quarter and surrounding areas, including the aquarium.

They still ask you where you got your shoes. I live down here but never go to the quarter except to the Ritz and port of call.

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    I've also never seen a posted sign, but then I didn't have my permit then. I hope that it's been restored, as it was a fantastic place, and the best aquarium that I have ever seen. Ne sure to let us know what it's like.

As for the shoes scam, it's been years since I've been asked that. I used to go at least yearly, since my first visit in 1990, and until a few years ago, it was almost constantly asked by the young black kids hanging around Bourbon St. Fortunately, I overhead that within minutes of getting to Bourbon St my first visit, so I never fell for it.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Squawker View Post
    I've also never seen a posted sign, but then I didn't have my permit then. I hope that it's been restored, as it was a fantastic place, and the best aquarium that I have ever seen. Ne sure to let us know what it's like.
    When I was there last (just a few months ago), it was in good shape, lotsa critters, and very impressive.

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob The Great View Post
    When I was there last (just a few months ago), it was in good shape, lotsa critters, and very impressive.
    Fantastic! Thanks for the info. It's just such a wonderful place. I'll go there the next time I'm in NOLA.

i took my coworkers there about a week ago ... it was not posted.

as far as the aquarium itself, i was honestly disappointed, but then again, maybe i was expecting more.

New Member Array jeepsterwannabe's Avatar
    whats the story behind the shoes thing ya'll keep mentioning??

someone will approach you saying, i bet you 10 bucks i can tell you where you got your shoes. When the tourist agrees thinking they can't guess where they were purchased, the hustler will respond You got your shoes on your feet on bourbon street. Or whatever street you are on. Or they'll say in new orleans.

New Member Array jeepsterwannabe's Avatar
    Oh, some of you guys made it sound like they robbed you while you were talking to them or something......

Links