Stores that prohibit Concealed Carry - Page 2

Stores that prohibit Concealed Carry

This is a discussion on Stores that prohibit Concealed Carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In South Carolina a business that wants to prohibit CWP holders from bringing their firearms must post a very specific sign. The law mandates the ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stores that prohibit Concealed Carry

In South Carolina a business that wants to prohibit CWP holders from bringing their firearms must post a very specific sign. The law mandates the size, color, wordage and graphics as well as proper placement. The upshot of this is that I have yet to see a legally posted place of business. My CWP instructor said that he has seen one sign that was actually legal but even then it could be ignored because not all public entrances were posted.

Another nice thing about the SC law is that the minimum size of the sign is larger than 8 1/2" by 11". This makes it more difficult for some business owner to just slap a sign up after an incident.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    There's some "gray area" regarding the validity of these individual store prohibitions. As it was explained to me by the Attorney General's Office here in Kentucky...unless concealed carry is forbidden in a location by THE CONDITIONS OF YOUR PERMIT then you are NOT "breaking a law" by disregarding the store's [No CCW] sign. If you ARE discovered to be carrying a concealed weapon in a store that has prohibited weapons? The WORST they can do is ask you to leave. Their posted prohibitive notice has no legal "teeth".

But be careful. Circumstances vary WIDELY with location & general disposition of the local LE authorities. And lawyers (like good handguns) are NOT inexpensive.
    It also varies greatly state-by-state. Some states, like VA and KY, do not give the signs any legal weight. Others require very specific sizing, graphics, and wording in order for the signs to have the weight of law behind them. Yet in others, a mere piece of looseleaf with "no guns" written on it in Sharpie counts.

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    One small chain in SE VA:

http://cinema-cafe.com/
    We have a similar version down here also - so they are out there.

http://caribbeancinemas.com/finearts-popular.asp

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    A word of warning to VA. Cinema cafes. It's a movie theater, but if they serve alcohol, it's a CC prohibited restaurant.

You are 50% correct. CC is illegal in Va. in any establishment that "serves" alcohol. However "open" carry is legal where alcohol is served.
    I know the cinema cafe in Va. Beach serves beer & i think maybe liquor but it's been a long time since i've been there............................................. .....................DF1

Ahhhhhh...The GunShine State...

I've never seen a 'No Gun Sign' anywhere in FL...even though they would mean nothing...

I love FL...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Well, I hadn't seen any other sites that were regularly updated by their users with new or updated info so I threw a site together this weekend. It's not much and is somewhat basic but it should get the job done fairly well...I hope. The forums where you can post posted carry establishments can be reached via the main page here: http://posted-places.com/

Check it out if you have time and let me know what you think. Is it worth the trouble? Are there enough folks interested to actually keep dumping new signs and correspondence? Did you run into problems?
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    The forums where you can post posted carry establishments can be reached via the main page here: http://posted-places.com/

Check it out if you have time and let me know what you think. Is it worth the trouble? Are there enough folks interested to actually keep dumping new signs and correspondence? Did you run into problems?
    Nice job. I think it will turn out to be very useful.

Can you tell us who the moderator is?

Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    Nice job. I think it will turn out to be very useful.

Can you tell us who the moderator is?
    well someone has to do it at least until I have enough folks on board that are interested.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar
    ColumbiaPlace Mall Columbia SC. had to go back to the car

Lew
    Quote Originally Posted by preachertim View Post

I would have driven away at that point too....

Petro Truck Stop, Oak Grove, MO.

Every Walmart Distribution Center has a sign at the Truck gate house, No Weapons allowed on Property.
    There are 2 types of people, victims and the prepared. I choose to be prepared....

"Bless thee, O Lord, This handgrenade, that it may blow thine enemies to bits. Amen" ~Monty Python's Holy Grail

My Blazer Website

My new, Unofficial Cam and Company Fan site.

VIP Member
    I've been in Valu-vision several times over the past couple years and never noticed a no carry sign. Today I went in there to pick up my daughters contacs and there was a sign way off to the side of the front door sitting in a window that read something like "For the safety and protection of our customers concealed handguns and weapons are not allowed". I went in anyways. I figure the sign is for an insurance break or maybe just to make the anti's feel better.. They can only ask me to leave anyway, and if they do, I'm going to let them know it is not illegal to carry there because the sign is not even close to being up to state codes.

Fry's Electronics in Houston @ 1-45 @ West Rd.

They have white letters on the glass next to the entry door stating "Weapons and Firearms Prohibited". That dog don't hunt in Texas. Simply states store policy (and poorly at that -- what's a "weapon" these days?), not a legal sign prohibiting licensed concealed carry. I went in and nobody noticed.

Suspect all Fry's have signs, since they started in Palo Alto, California. I never paid any attention during my 12 years there during which I spent bushels of money at various Fry's.

Now I have to rethink where I'll buy electronics!
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by preachertim View Post
    Really? Do you remember what the sign looked like? The law in SC is very specific about what the sign has to say, how big has to be and where it's placed. Chances are better than average that you could have walked right past it with no legal problem unless this was one of the rare cases where the business actually did their homework and posted according to the law.
    "Friend, I would not harm thee for all the world, but thou art standing where I am about to shoot."--Unknown Quaker

Taco Cabana in El Paso, TX.
    Harley 91
    "For those who fight for it, Freedom has a flavor the protected will never know"!
    Kimber Ultra CDP II .45, Kimber Custom II
    XD 9mm sc, XD 40 sc, .357 Colt King Cobra,
    .22 Berreta Bobcat

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    Well, I hadn't seen any other sites that were regularly updated by their users with new or updated info so I threw a site together this weekend. It's not much and is somewhat basic but it should get the job done fairly well...I hope. The forums where you can post posted carry establishments can be reached via the main page here: http://posted-places.com/

this site will be a great tool for us all if we'll use it!
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links