Another Anti Stores Thread...and a possible idea?

Another Anti Stores Thread...and a possible idea?

This is a discussion on Another Anti Stores Thread...and a possible idea? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK, so there have been quite a few posts about anti stores lately...or at the very least stores with anti-ccw-friendly policies. It seems that the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Another Anti Stores Thread...and a possible idea?

OK, so there have been quite a few posts about anti stores lately...or at the very least stores with anti-ccw-friendly policies.
    It seems that the general method that CCW holders are using to convey "our" message is to either talk to the manager and/or write a letter to the company. For a while I thought this was really all we could do and it seems that our message falls on deaf ears many times. The problem with both of these methods is that managers are used to complaints...heck it's what they deal with on a daily basis in many places. So I was trying to think of a way to make our complaints stand out and here's what I came up with.

I'll use Home Depot for my example....but it could be any store like Lew's truck stop example, or Jared's or any oher place that is posted.
    So, what if everytime you shopped at Lowes you saved your receipt(After your initial complaint to management)? Say you did this for 6 months or a year. Then you could photocopy all of the receipts and send them along with a second followup letter. This would give emphasis to your statement, it would show that you actually did stop shopping at their store, and it gives them a dollar value to associate with their bad decision.

It is a lot of work and it would still probably not have a huge effect depending on the place that you did it...but just think if we all did this. Our complaints could r eallystand out a lot if we have 8 pages of home renovation receipts totaling tens of thousands of dollars attached to our second letter of complaint. If this was done enough then it could actually be SHOWN to the managment how much money they are loosing. ....and that is the big advantage, in my opinion, of this system over just saying "hey I won't shop at your store anymore"...most companies and/or managers will just think that you are a weird guy with a gun and not stop to think that there may be many many more of us out there than they thought. If multiple letters like this came in then it just might be enough to change the minds of some places.

Sure, it certainly won't work in every instance but it's an idea....

VIP Member
    I can certainly see alot merit in that if you do alot of business with a place. I've heard of people calling and saying I WAS going to spend X amount of dollars at your store but now I'm going down the street.
    There is no reaching some people. Like others have said on here , they also get insurance breaks for posting. But, if they'd realize how much $$ they are loosing from ccw carriers, i'm sure it's alot more than the insurance savings.
    I think the "ticket" to getting this to work would be in numbers. Getting alot of people to do it. I was told in my ccw class not to shop anywhere that is posted, but I'm sure alot of carriers would disarm and go in.

I say let them catch you and ask you to leave.That's all they can do.

Quote Originally Posted by crankshop1000 View Post
    I say let them catch you and ask you to leave.That's all they can do.
    Actually Crank, in MI if it is posted than you are trespassing, if not posted then yeah, all they can do is ask you to leave.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

I like the concept as it shows them what they are missing.

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LBrombach View Post
    Actually Crank, in MI if it is posted than you are trespassing, if not posted then yeah, all they can do is ask you to leave.
    Agreed, watch this line of thinking depending on where you live. I could get away with that here in KY, but everywhere is different.

Know your state laws.

I like the idea of passing on the receipts to the corp office. This is something I would be more than willing to do.

I am lucky though that I haven't seen many stores (if any at all) that are posted. I remember a credit union being one, but I dont do buisness there anyway. Just happened to spot the sign. Even our Wally Worlds are not posted.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    raysheen

That's one heck of an idea. I agree 100%, my only problem is, there aren't many places around here that are posted, maybe I'll have to travel some more. Believe me, If I find one, I will make every attempt to follow you example above.

"fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Quote Originally Posted by 4my son View Post
    raysheen

That's one heck of an idea. I agree 100%, my only problem is, there aren't many places around here that are posted, maybe I'll have to travel some more. Believe me, If I find one, I will make every attempt to follow you example above.

heh yeah, I'm in the same boat really...Since I'm in NY and the general population here doesn't even know that you can still own a gun in America I've never seen or heard of a place that is posted. ...except for Gander Mountain and they say "no loaded firearms except CCW holders"
    So my thoughts are that this could really be applied to two different types of stores.
    1) local places like the guy with the story about his local Ace hardware store being posted no carry
    2) at a national level where the receipts are sent to someplace big like home depot and/or costco that have a nationwide corp. "policy" against carrying even if they individual stores are not posted. The idea being that we ask them to change their policy to allow legally armed citizens.
    just some more random thoughts

I wonder how much of this is a CYA maneuver on the store's part.

That is to say: If there is ever a shooting -- regardless of the circumstances -- does posting a ``no firearms allowed'' type of sign help limit their liability?

My point is that maybe their motivation for putting up these signs is less philosophical and more legal.

In MO, you only get charged with tresspss if you don't leave when asked.

When CCW went into effect, one local grocery store that I shop in posted. I went about my regular shopping, filled the cart with my weekly order including meat and dairy items. It usually ran about $125-150. I took the cart to the office and asked for the manager. When he showed up I explained that this was the amount of groceries I was no longer going to buy in this store and would be shopping down the street where they trust law abiding citizens. I also ask him to put them back. The expression on his face was priceless.

Quote Originally Posted by LBrombach View Post
    If I remember correctly, even if posted (in MI) and not a restricted zone then you can still carry. It is only if found and asked to leave and you refuse then it is trespass. Correct if I'm mistaken.

AFAIK, in VA even if the store is posted I can go in. The worst that can happen to me is that I can be asked to leave(by the owner)--if I don't I would be trespassing and subject to the consequences of that.

Protecting "RIGHTS" is not work...

Quote Originally Posted by raysheen View Post
    OK,
    It is a lot of work and it would still probably not have a huge effect depending on the place that you did it...but just think if we all did this. Our complaints could r eallystand out a lot if we have 8 pages of home renovation receipts totaling tens of thousands of dollars attached to our second letter of complaint. If this was done enough then it could actually be SHOWN to the managment how much money they are loosing. ....and that is the big advantage, in my opinion, of this system over just saying "hey I won't shop at your store anymore"...most companies and/or managers will just think that you are a weird guy with a gun and not stop to think that there may be many many more of us out there than they thought. If multiple letters like this came in then it just might be enough to change the minds of some places.

Sure, it certainly won't work in every instance but it's an idea....
    It is a "Responsibility" as Citizens as I'm sure we all agree.

This is not meant to mean it appeared that your post implied that you were opposed to "working" to protect our rights...

Just a personal clarification of what was most likely your real intent...
    "IF WE DON'T WORK TO PROTECT OUR RIGHTS WE MOST CERTIANLY WILL LOOSE THEM"

It is a great idea and will give us something to do when not on the range or drooling @ the "NEW" gun case
    Condition "yellow" is a heightened state of awareness & response.
    It is not paranoia...
    "IT IS YOUR ONLY ROUTE TO SURVIVAL"

An armed & knowledgeble Citizen has significantly increased their chances of continued Freedom & Safety... SO ALSO IMPROVED IS THE FUTURE OF THEIR NEIGHBORS

I will do it.

I have saved EVERY single reciept for the stuff my wife and I have bought since we purchased and started remodeling our home.

Home Depot and Lowes have lost out on over $25,000 in the last 18months alone. Menard's on the other hand has made $25,000 in 18 months just from us.
    Michigan Gun Owner
    Michigan CPL Holder
    Proud Member of The NRA

What I Would Do

First the disclaimer: I live in a small town in southern Colorado and have yet to see a sign forbidding firearms.

This includes banks, Walmart, sporting goods and Safeway stores.

Also, open carry is legal in Colorado and I have seen a (very) few folks in local stores carrying openly.

Eat your hearts out!

I think that what I would do upon spotting such a sign would be to ask to talk to the owner/mgr and inform him that I will no longer be buying anything there until the sign is removed.

I agree with the above poster that a lot of times it is a CYA deal on the part of the store. But, depending on how the conversation goes, I think that the CYA thing could be easily refuted. After all, not many stores would be willing to provide me with personal protection while I am shopping would they?

...Skye...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links