If you "make" someone, what do you do?

This is a discussion on If you "make" someone, what do you do? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I profile all the time, and because of that, I've "made a few". If they look and act normal, I just make note of it ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: If you "make" someone, what do you do?

I profile all the time, and because of that, I've "made a few". If they look and act normal, I just make note of it and go about my normal business. Being in a very small community, carry is very common, both legal and otherwise, so it's no big deal. Now, if some dude was walking around in shorts, socks and sandals, I'd alert the authorities !

2. Remove Ads

Interesting responses.......

My opinion is that it's none of your business and would tell somebody who approached me so.

Hope that's not harsh. Have a great day!

Senior Moderator
    Yet, interestingly, Florida, Oklahoma, Arkansas, South Carolina, and Texas do not allow open carry, but Ohio, Pennsylvania, Vermont, New Hampshire, Michigan, Maine, and others do.

I'm not saying it's prevalent or widely accepted there - just that it's legal.
    Yeah... it would be interesting to see how long it would take SWAT to do a felony takedown of someone open carrying in a city like Akron,Colombus,Ann Arbor,Lansing, or any other big city...legal or not... and we've read the responses here concerning open carry in resturaunts that serve alcohol in Virgina where its illegal to carry concealed but must carry "openly."

Fact of the matter is...

Concealed carry is becoming more prevalent in todays society. Some of the antigun cities in the North and South are gonna have to learn to grow up and accept it.

What I like about it is the fact that these people carrying guns VOTE. Some antigun primadonnas that call themselves a politicians LOSE votes every time they make outrageous and harsh anti-gun statements that have little to no bearing in reality and they arent smart enough to figure that out.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    Hey don't forget us Virginians
    I didn't, but neither did I want to lump you in with "Northern" states
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    It would for me depend on context and appearances.
    Exactly.

If a guy is printing or slightly flashing, but he's a normal-seeming guy who seems he could easily be just another CCWer like me, I'm not going to go calling the police on him and maybe causing him needless trouble. (Would I want that done to me?)

If it seems possible that he just doesn't know he's showing his gun, I might consider informing him politely and quietly. His actions after that might help determine what to do further.

If the guy seems to be unsavory, is carrying in a way that's not what an in-the-know CCWer would employ, seems twitchy or nervous or shifty, I might clear out and call the police to inform them of a suspicious person who I detected was armed. Let them deal with it, since it's their job and not mine.

Call me prejudiced, but I have a feeling it won't be all that difficult to separate the ones to be worried about from the ones to not be worried about these days, especially around here.

I would ask very privately, do you have a permit?
    Then inform that person that he or she needs to conceal a little
    better.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Ok I actually had this come about awhile back at a Walmart. Man was in there I noticed some youngs guys snickering looked down and the entire pearl grip of his 1911 was exposed I walked over addressed him as sure and said "sir your cover garment is riding up and drawing a crowd" he politely thanked me and said they should be greatfull and proceeded with his purchase no harm no foul I think its a per situation basis.

Printing only, probably wouldn't say anything unless it's really obvious. Most people aren't very observant so I doubt I'd bother.

Showing because they forgot their cover garment or because their cover garment rode up I most likely would mention it to them in as low key a way as possible.

If it's not in a holster I'm seriously thinking about calling them in. I think it's dangerous and irresponsible not to use a proper carry rig and I don't have a problem letting a police officer explain that to them.

Exclamation Never Approach

I don't think that most of us are LEO's, and those who are (I'm an ex-LEO) would certainly think twice about confronting an obviously armed individual while alone and off duty unless the circumstances compel intervention.

To those who have said that they would politely inform the individual in question that they were printing, you might get a gun rudely shoved into your stomach by someone who was about to commit an armed robbery. Also, it's hard to make judgements about a person based upon appearances, as many have noted.

I was once stopped for speeding in a small, South Texas town on a Sunday evening by a guy in an unmarked car with only a Kojak light on his dash. When he got out to approach my car, he was wearing only jeans, boots, a black t-shirt with POLICE on the front (that could have come from Wal-Mart), and a naked 1911 stuck in his belt on the outside of his pants. Not only was he the real PO-lice, he was the local Police Chief.

My advice is to assume nothing, but to simply observe - even if their gun is hanging out in plain view....... unless some action on the part of the individual you observe absolutely, positively requires some action on your part.

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar

Smile

If it's an open carry state like Virginia where I live I wouldn't say anything.

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Murexway View Post
    I don't think that most of us are LEO's, and those who are (I'm an ex-LEO) would certainly think twice about confronting an obviously armed individual while alone and off duty unless the circumstances compel intervention.

To those who have said that they would politely inform the individual in question that they were printing, you might get a gun rudely shoved into your stomach by someone who was about to commit an armed robbery. Also, it's hard to make judgements about a person based upon appearances, as many have noted.

I was once stopped for speeding in a small, South Texas town on a Sunday evening by a guy in an unmarked car with only a Kojak light on his dash. When he got out to approach my car, he was wearing only jeans, boots, a black t-shirt with POLICE on the front (that could have come from Wal-Mart), and a naked 1911 stuck in his belt on the outside of his pants. Not only was he the real PO-lice, he was the local Police Chief.

My advice is to assume nothing, but to simply observe - even if their gun is hanging out in plain view....... unless some action on the part of the individual you observe absolutely, positively requires some action on your part.
    +1

It must be frightening to be pulled over by an unmarked car and then be approached by someone that bears no resemblance to a LE.

There was recently another thread concerning this. I was not satisfied with the types of responses provided. If a BG draws and points a 1911 in your face it does not leave much room to defend yourself.

If you "make" someone, what do you do?
    Not my problem. Not really a problem, either. At worst, that person's going to have someone else call the police and have to go through a tricky few moments explaining him/herself to the inbound LEO's. In a gun store, or with someone at a function whom I'm reasonably likely to know of, or know personally, I'll likely say something. But, not to a perfect stranger. His/her carry is his/her business. Just like mine.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

1943 - 2009
    But, not to a perfect stranger. His/her carry is his/her business. Just like mine.
    This entire thread can be summarized in these three sentences.

Excellent advice.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

If The Guy/Gal Doesn't...

have on a ski mask...NOTHING...

I can take care of myself...I'm aware of my surroundings...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links