What do you tell your significant others?

This is a discussion on What do you tell your significant others? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am wondering if any one has a "family plan" in case they are involved in a shooting. We put together a plan years ago ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you tell your significant others?

What do you tell your significant others?

I am wondering if any one has a "family plan" in case they are involved in a shooting. We put together a plan years ago when I was verbally confronted with a BG in a public place. I just read a LE article covering some of these same points:

1. Do exactly what I tell you, and don't ask questions
    2. Get as far away from me as quickly as you can, then call the police.
    3. Do not try and help me if I'm shot, you will only draw fire and get in the
    line of my return fire.
    4. I will not have time to protect you so stay away from me no matter what
    happens.
    5. When you call the police stay on the line give them your description and
    location and my description and location.
    6. Describe the circumstances to the police, stay calm.
    7. Stay out of sight and behind cover until the police or I come and get you.

Lets hear what plans you have.

2. Remove Ads

1. Take cover
    2. Return fire until the BG is no longer a threat.
    3. Reload if necessary
    T.A.P.S.
    Tactics-Accuracy-Power-Speed

huckster, those are great ideas. I am going to copy that and email it to my gf.

Thats pretty much what i have told them we talked about it today again after a weird incident in walmart

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    Great post!

I have copied your list and will give it to the wife to discuss.

We do have a plan of sorts.
    I have a series of code words, that mean anything from keep an eye out to run like heck and don't look back while calling 911. It could stand some improvement though.

Unfortunately, my significant other is the type that turns on the darn lights when I'm trying to peer out a darkened room window.....plan? Run from her as quickly as possible and shoot at the BG on the fly!!!
    "Endeavor To Persevere"
    Chief Dan George

Assistant Administrator
    All good stuff - can't really fault it at all. Well worth further consideration and spousal discussion.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

DC Founder
    I should probably tell mine that when she comes to after fainting to continue to play possum. Seriously, I think I will print this out and have the discussion.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Unfortunately, my significant other is the type that turns on the darn lights when I'm trying to peer out a darkened room window.....plan? Run from her as quickly as possible and shoot at the BG on the fly!!!
    i'm glad i'm not the only one with a significant other like that.

that's my plan too.

matt

JT
    Great post, Huckster.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Sounds great Huckster!

This plan works well with any situation involving a bad guy wether it involves a firearm, bladed weapons or an empty hand self defense situation.

However, I just have just a few comments.

About number 2. "Get as far away from me as quickly as you can, then call the police."

I always say "Get behind me!" first. Then, "Get as far away from me as quickly as you can, then call the police" sounds prudent. That way, I know that a bad guy has to get past ME first and he or she won't be in my line of fire. If I'm cornered, I'll jockey for an escape route for whomever else I'm protecting.

About number 4. ("I will not have time to protect you) so stay away from me no matter what happens."

Perhaps this should sound more protective of the person you are with? If you engage a bad guy you are responsible for both of you not just yourself. I mean, I wouldn't say it like this to my 11 year old daughter.

How about this? "My ability see where you are is next to none once I engage an attacker. When you see this happen. RUN! and KEEP RUNNING no matter what you see or hear. Then it leads into getting to a phone or staying hidden

Mike

Most of these posts seem to imply that the S.O. has no weapon. I would guess things would be different if both were capable of defense... or would you guys want to try and keep your SO out of it?

I always assumed that if the situation warranted it that BOTH of you pull weapons and defend.

The plan I had was for us (if there was just my SO and me) to separate by about 10-12 feet (using cover if possible).

LPguy,

Thanks for the reply but I have a differing opinion as far is having someone getting behind me. If there is a hail of gun fire and its directed towards me that puts anyone behind me also in the line of fire.

Knowing from experience with armed encounters and training you will get "tunnel vision". Basic survival instincts kick in. You will concentrate more on the threat being neutralized than giving instructions out. I would want my family to flee before gunfire erupted for a few reasons:
    1. A moving target is harder to hit.
    2. Multiple moving targets make it even more difficult to acquire target acquistion.
    3. The BG will have more information to process in the confusion of people moving,
    hopefully slowing his response. Thus giving me time to stop the threat with
    minimal collateral damage (target seperation). Remember, you are accountable for
    every bullet fired.

Of course, every situation will be different due to distance, enviroment and your own personal capabilities and the abilities of family members.

Huck

Here in WI I can carry due to occupation. No CCW for the Mrs. However, if she could carry I would feel sorry for the BG The Mrs. can shoot with the best of'em (had a good teacher, me ). Thats a fury I pity the fool who would unleash it.

Obviously, if you had a SO that could carry, by all means survival may depend on your partner.

Assistant Administrator
    Wife carries but not 16/7 - so this is something I think we need to run thru together. certainly I reckon split up - fast - and so make for some possible confusion with BG. Whether both armed or just me - cover is first priority if at all possible. If no time for that route then still make for a rapid separation - distance is friend.

If both armed then likely the BG may have chosen a very bad day to spoil his Cheerios - assuming just the one! Could be very different of course.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links