Initial experience with new carry permit

This is a discussion on Initial experience with new carry permit within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Alright, I live in Louisiana and chose to apply for a non-resident Florida permit. I completed the training, paperwork, shooting and mailed off the application ...

VIP Member

Alright, I live in Louisiana and chose to apply for a non-resident Florida permit. I completed the training, paperwork, shooting and mailed off the application on 5-2-07 and received my permit yesterday on 7-10-07 (68 days, but who's counting). They had a nice brochure containing FAQ's along with a reminder that the permit doesn't make me a quasi-LEO or even a good samaritan. It even contained hints about checking one's temper.

So today I had to go to town and happened to have on deep pocket cargo pants. My g27 in a pocket holster fit just fine. On the way to town I happened to have a state trooper following right behind me.....no problem, no big deal. I visited the local lumber store, a tractor dealership, and a hardware store, and headed home. I didn't really feel any different, probably because I had 25 years of carrying a gun on duty as a reserve leo, so it was sort of a non-issue with me. However, I did feel less vulnerable and more safer!

I've read on the forum about the "required" Wallyworld visit. However our store doesn't have the necessary nachos, but they do have a Subway, so if that's permissable I'll visit the Subway. I think the Subway visit is appropriate in light of the guy at the Florida Subway that recently defended himself. I wish I knew what he ordered, I'd get the same thing. HEY maybe that would be a good tradition too.

Everyone around here knows that I'm not a big Wallyworld fan, in fact my standing statement is, "If you see me in Wallyworld, just look around because someone will be holding a gun on me to make me stay in there". So my wife wants me to go to Wallyworld tomorrow night (ugh) and she knows about the tradition, mentioning that "I guess you'll be holding the gun on yourself from now on, huh?"
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

VIP Member
    That's funny

congrats and welcome to the fold. great avatar. lonesome dove = one of the greats.
    War is not the ugliest of things. Worse is the decayed state of moral feeling which thinks nothing is worth a war. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which he cares for more than his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free. -J.S. Mill

Assistant Administrator
    Subway is fine

With your previous carrying experience I really feel we can let you off the Wally World visit
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Your wife and my wife sounds like they would get along well. I've been forced into WallyWorld a time or two and my wife does carry a gun( Kahr P9 ).

Good news on your permit.

"First rule of a gun fight is to have a gun"

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    I don't know what I'm going to do about the Wallyworld visit. I hate them and I only go to buy ammo and briskets. And I rarely buy my briskets there. I wouldn't eat their deli food if I was on death row.

Would a Sam's Club tour and dining experience qualify? I can sidle up to all of the samples they pass out daily.
    Last edited by Pitmaster; July 10th, 2007 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Delayed thought
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

Congratulations on the permit. I don't go to Wallyworld much either, usually just for the WWB ammo and I'm out of there. Subway works and I guess Sam's would too in a pinch.

Curious what ammo you carry in your PPk too, I've got one in layaway and I'm thinking Cor-bon DPX will get the nod.
    Jack

VIP Member
    Hey hey people! What do you think this is? The Air Force? Let's show some backbone here!

ppkheat congratulations!
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

VIP Member
    You have my vote on Sams Club qualifying as the traditional carry outing. Congrats and carry on.....

Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    Hey hey people! What do you think this is? The Air Force? Let's show some backbone here!
    And what is that supposed to mean? Haha

Congrats on the new permit, a subway is all we have in our WW too. Glad to hear I'm not the only one who didn't get any nacho's!
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Administrator
    Anything you buy at Subway will be just as bad tasting as the Nachos so I guess that's OK.
    So thoughtful of them to include advice on controlling your temper. I'm sure you've undergone a total personality shift since reading that and are now totally mellow and docile.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean3 View Post
    Congratulations on the permit. I don't go to Wallyworld much either, usually just for the WWB ammo and I'm out of there. Subway works and I guess Sam's would too in a pinch.

Curious what ammo you carry in your PPk too, I've got one in layaway and I'm thinking Cor-bon DPX will get the nod.
    Jack
    IMO for ccw, the PPKs strong point is its thinness, it disappears nicely, it's weaker points for ccw is of course the caliber and though not a big deal, but it is heavy for its size. I've read some reviews about fte problems but mine has fired and ejected everything I can put through it. I still consider it new and need more experience with it to gain my confidence for reliability. Considering all that, right now I'm only using FMJ ammo.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I had to buy all of the raw ingredients and make my own nachos (I did get the ingredients at Wal-Mart) because my Wal-Mart does not offer that congealed conglomeration of grease, processed imitation cheese gunk, and over processed corn chips that the rest of you lovingly refer to as the right of passage. Trouble was that after I made my own my wife insisted on another batch the next day! As a side note my wife seems to be the opposite of many of yours, I almost have to force her into Wal-Mart at gun point, and I could go there every day and enjoy it!
    Ruger Super Blackhawk .44mag,Glock 17, Glock 19,Taurus 92 9mm,Llama .38, Taurus .38,Bersa Thunder .380,S&W Model 22A .22,Western Auto .22 ,NAA .22 Mag, Mini- Mini 14 .223,Mossberg 12 Gauge.

Links