Defensive Carry banner

Gun rights

2K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  Serenity 
#1 ·
#2 ·
NRA: To See Where Gun Licensing Leads, Look To England
The vid title.

Please, please folks - when posting a link - whether to a vid or an article, let's have something descriptive in text!!! An excerpt, a description or comment about it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The vid - well as an Ex Brit I can say all too easily I saw it coming. Some was incremental over many years but the stage reached now is plain pathetic.

'Subjects' is definitely the operative word. Best career now seems to be that of a criminal, because if you are legal and right living, you have lost about all that might be called a right. It is almost more a crime to be a victim - in particular one who might dare to defend him/her self.

As for the guns going ... well I was still there to experience that - and the bleating sheep made sure they had the loudest voice, and to heck with law abiding gun owners. Goodbye freedom.

About same in Aus' too of course.

Tragic, downright tragic. Just like the onset of incremental dictatorship.

#7 ·
That's how I feel too...

What a sad sad world that would be..... Watching that makes me want to get more involved and donate more money to the folks that have a stonger hand in these things. Like the NRA and their ILA.

#5 ·
great video.

also, from my cold dead hands.

#6 ·
Chris,

So glad you live on our side of the pond these days! It's an honor to have you and those like you amongst our citizenry!

Nothing like those who become "Americans" by choice! A real sense of patriotism!

You speak volumes as one who comes from across the atlantic.

Peace out Chris.

#8 ·
Were a few years away from that.

From my cold dead hands!

#9 ·
It's good to see that there are still Brits who haven't put on their wool coats and turned into sheeple. Shame that the vid is right, though: by the time the right is gone, it's too late; it's never coming back.

May we gun owners be smart enough as a whole to learn from the past, and avoid repeating it.

#10 ·
The sad thing is that if Islamo-facists ever decide to take over Great Britian or France or Germany, or any other of the countries where there are real problems with Islamo-facism, I don't see where they will be anything but sheep!

I suppose they will expect the USA to come fight for them... Which begs the question... Should we?

Great Britian has stuck with us, no matter how reluctantly throughout this war on terror. So I say yes for Great Britian, but then again, that was under Tony Blair... We'll have to see how this new PM and the new Homland Security officials proceed from here.

France, Germany and the rest... Well I say, "Let 'em eat cake"... errr Falafel.

#11 ·
Damn fools.

An entire nation of fools spread across multiple countries under one monarchy with it's subjects bamboozled by knee jerks, supposition, and a handfull of acts by crazy people who became catalysts toward this extreme result. The price these subjects do today and will tomorrow pay is great. Greater by as of most recent news a 70% increase in crime nationally (thats averaged....crime in specific areas is much much higher in percentage in the triple digits of a percent increase!) as relative to yesteryear at a decade ago.

And to think with all this hard evidence and 'proof in the pudding' citizens wish and scheme for same to occur here in America.

- Janq

"Father forgive them for they know not what they do." - Luke 23:24

#12 ·
Is there a good palce to read about this? Other than a video??

#13 ·
Is there a good place to read about this?
I don't know of a script representation of the vid but - to summarize ........

It covers gun losses in UK and Aus - with interviews mostly from ex gun owners. The overall concensus was one of abject anger at being denied - and realization that some apathy mixed with a poor overall gun lobby was something that in a sense - ''let it happen''.

There was also reflection on how BG's would (of course) always have guns and yet the law abiding folks are the ones shafted. One anti voice from a woman (forget who she was) was the typical - ''well it has to safer with guns off the streets'' sorta crap!!

Within the whole deal were comments directed at us - a reminder of how incrementalism can work - ''thin end of wedge'' etc .... and to guard our 2A jealously.

That is a brief synopsis of what I recall as the core material.

#15 ·
I disagree with that. They gave them up by their own free will.
Aus - as one who lost a lot of guns there I have to comment. I know it seems the handing in aspect makes folks seem like whimps - a common accusation but - consider this.

I was in '97, 52 years old - family, responsibilities, a future still ahead of me (even if then I had no inkling I'd become a proud American). Had I given in to my root desire to adopt the ''cold dead hands'' approach ... where would that have gotten me? A bloody mess after a probably futile attempt to engage in a gunfight I could not win as a single protester. I doubt also I could have drummed up enough support to enable a real standfast battle either, with my side winning.

What would the mainstream public have thought? Yeah - "Oh well - that's another gun nut dealt with".

If you or anyone has a better solution I wanna hear it ... but becoming a felon, being locked up, or worse, shot to pieces - really did not seem an option when I had responsibilities. My resentment knew no bounds but - I am still here and at least now am able to make my small contribution to helping the 2A cause - which would not have happened if I'd gone down fighting!

#17 ·
So are they allowed to own any sort of firearm over there now? This came up at work tonight and I didn't want to give missinformation. From what I gathered watching the vid it seemed like they had to turn all of their firearms in. Am I right?

#19 ·
So are they allowed to own any sort of firearm over there now?
Some folks, almost I guess outa disgust and the costs, and paperwork of retaining ownership - did hand in stuff they need not have. The '97 deal was handguns. (Early 90's was when semi rifles got hit too).

So right now IIRC - as long as someone has ''good reason'' - they can have rifles and shotguns. My old bud's at shoot club carried on having compo's using Win 94 type lever guns so as to be able to load for and use handgun ammo.

The slippery slope is tho no less slippery and who knows when they might try and remove those items too. Another Tony Martin type incident and I'll bet they target shotties :frown:

Sadly the ''Great'' has long departed from ''Great Britain".

#18 ·
That's just pretty sickening...

#21 ·
And we have those who rant against the NRA (are you here Greaybeard?) yet they offer no better alternative. If the NRA dies then our gun rights die, if the NRA thrives then so do our gun rights. I belong to the NRA, GOA, and Gun Owners of California. The more pro-gun organisations we all belong to the stronger we are. If you are not doing your part then you are a part of the problem and not a part of the solution. Lets all pull together, JOIN!!

#22 ·
In my case, I am a lifetime member of NRA but I hate the way they, on occasion, post some stuff and send out "action alerts" that are absolute crap:

1. Last year they plaster the internet with all kinds of rubbish about how "The UN is going to vote over July 4th on a measure that will make gun ownership illegal". Not true at all and easily proven untrue by anti-gun forces to make the pro-gun side look like lying idiots.

2. This year they completely misrepresent the OSHA regulations about the explosives industries and retailers to the point of, once again, encouraging thousands if not millions of gun owners to make ill-informed and ignorant comment about these regulations.

I think that on balance the NRA does more good than harm but sometimes they need to get a freekin' grip.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.