How many hold back carry ammo for testing? - Page 2

How many hold back carry ammo for testing?

This is a discussion on How many hold back carry ammo for testing? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Bark'n I recently started doing this about 18 months ago. I don't know how necessary it is, but have felt it's only ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How many hold back carry ammo for testing?

Never have and don't intend to.

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    I recently started doing this about 18 months ago. I don't know how necessary it is, but have felt it's only prudent to do after reading several articles in just how many ways ammunition has played a role at trial.

I will keep back a minimum of 5 or 6 rounds of my carry ammo and keep it in the original box in order for LEO or my Defense Attorney to do ballistics testing.

I also keep the box to have a record of the manufacture date and lot number should anything about my ammunition comes into question it will be available for testing.

I was wondering how many people follow this practice as well?

Do you have a link to, or can you copy one of the articles you read this in?

Thanks.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Assistant Administrator
    I do have several all but empty boxes of assorted SD ammo still around but really don't keep any specifically for Miggy's reasons. My source for my normal GD 124 +P carry stuff tho is a large quantity I got at a gun show and so with all I have left I will actually have ''samples'' on hand a long time yet.

My thinking - any forensic analysis of my empties will not show a resizing die mark and so it'll be apparent it is factory origin - unless of course I had loaded brand new cases - but that'd be unlikely for our average handgun cals - and probably so for most folks I think.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I do this. Once a year I shoot and replace all my carry ammo. I do this on my B-Day so I won't forget when I need to do this.
    "May God have mercy on my enemies, because I won't."
    General George Patton

me
    for those of you that load 2 higher capacity mags (mine at 15 each) and do this how do you differentiate between the ammo in the 2 different mags for which was which that you held back. Interesting Idea but I have 2 mags of 15 that I interchange plus the chambered round and GDs come 20 to a box.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Have you considered how it would look in court if you saved some ammo just in case you were involved in a shooting?

Quote Originally Posted by Whyveear View Post
    Have you considered how it would look in court if you saved some ammo just in case you were involved in a shooting?
    Yes, it would look prudent, same as carrying a gun.

With any given boxes of ammo I have used, I have always had extras sitting about, in the boxes. Whenever switching to a new brand/model of ammo, I'll still have the priors hanging around. Though, I have not "held back" any rounds formally. But that's a great idea. I keep the receipts. I've labeled boxes previously, to keep track of the lots. Might be worth being a bit more formal about it, for the reasons stated.

Thanks for the reminder!
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Whyveear View Post
    Almost as bad as carrying a gun just incase you need to shoot someone!

Seriously, this can be easuily counterred as being done per the advice of a nationally recognized instructor for police and civilians. IF it comes up it was only because the ammo was then needed for testing in which case it is good you had it anyway.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links