Concealed Carry and the Gym

This is a discussion on Concealed Carry and the Gym within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As I have started working out at a local gym, I had discovered that I have to keep my handgun in the car, as I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Concealed Carry and the Gym

Concealed Carry and the Gym

As I have started working out at a local gym, I had discovered that I have to keep my handgun in the car, as I have no way to conceal it while changing into work out clothes. The problem that I now face is that I now have training buddies from the office that we all go to the gym during lunch, and ride share. I am not sure their stance on concealed carry, but I don't want to expose myself as a Concealed Carry person until I know that it won't pose a problem with them (or my job).

Have other people experienced this? If so, how do you go about transferring the gun to a bag/locker without being noticed? Or, do you leave it in the car, or not wear that day?

Once my new snubby comes in, it won't be too much trouble, but I would love to hear your options and thoughts.
    NRA Member

"...the Constitution does not say Government shall decree the right to keep and bear arms. The Constitution says ‘the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.’” - Ronald Reagan

2. Remove Ads

Go to a toilet stall with your gym bag.
    Remove Holster and gun.
    Place Holster and gun in Gym bag.
    Put a lock on your gym bag. (Some gyms have keys to all the lockers)
    Place gym bag in locker.
    LOCK the locker.
    "When a man attempts to deal with me by force, I answer him—by force.
    "... No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had the right to choose: his own." -John Galt, Atlas Shrugged

Join a gym in a better part of town if you need to walk from your car to the gym's locker room with a gun.

Quote Originally Posted by bacchus99 View Post
    Join a gym in a better part of town if you need to walk from your car to the gym's locker room with a gun.
    It is not always about need.
    And he doesn't want to leave it in someone else's car.
    "When a man attempts to deal with me by force, I answer him—by force.
    "... No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had the right to choose: his own." -John Galt, Atlas Shrugged

I don't know about your gym, but me department spent many hours taken reports of lockers broken into at our local gym. I wouldn't trust anything beyond sweaty clothing in those lockers.
    Richard Scalzo, Capt.
    Secaucus PD
    Secaucus, NJ
    Retired !!!!

And that is where my delimma is. I don't feel comfortable leaving it another person's vehicle without their knowing, there is not a great way to place it in the locker, and if you do, you put the gun at risk.

I guess the only solution that I can come up with is to just not carry on the days where I cannot secure the weapon in a concealed manner...
    NRA Member

"...the Constitution does not say Government shall decree the right to keep and bear arms. The Constitution says ‘the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.’” - Ronald Reagan

Lots of options:

Don't ride share. Just invite your coworkers to ride with you, but refuse if they as you to ride in their car.

Get a fanny pack holster and keep your gun with you while you exercise.

Get a Center of Mass gun safe and lock your gun in it and put the whole thing in the locker.

while the center-of-mass safes are nice, if someone tosses his locker it's still going to go walksies with the robber and time + tools == access.
    For MN specific carry information and a great shooting community, check out forum.twincitiescarry.com

Quote Originally Posted by bacchus99 View Post
    Yes-- all rapes, murders, assualt/batteries happen in bad parts of town.

get a smartcarry holster and wear it under your workout shorts.
    كافر(Infidel)
    He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146
    German philosopher (1844 - 1900)

As mentioned earlier, a visit to closed stall in the men's room, with your bag, should solve your problem. Disarm once inside and secure the weapon in your gym bag, then your locker.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Smartcarry...
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

Here's a vote for a Center of Mass lacker. Locker break-ins happen. So do car break ins and house break ins. Don't work out in the middle of the night and the likelihood of someone gaining access to your locker, stealing your gun, and successfully getting away is small...probably a lot smaller than someone breaking into your house while you are on vacation.

Smartcarry while working out? Was that serious? Talk about uncomfortable unless you have a Derringer!
    Human Beings understand Reason, Compassion, and Dignity

Predators understand Strength

VIP Member
    Get a galco elete holster and leave it in the car

I bet that crotch based smartcarry holster will smell REALLY good after a couple of hard, sweaty, intense workouts.

Any males in this forum can certainly relate! Might be your best option though.
    N.R.A. Member
    G.O.A. Member
    Unified Sportsmen of Florida Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links