Why did you start carrying? - Page 2

Why did you start carrying?

This is a discussion on Why did you start carrying? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Two things helped me make the right decision. Becoming a US citizen I felt it was my duty to carry, my Father-in-Law informed me that ...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Why did you start carrying?

Two things helped me make the right decision.

Becoming a US citizen I felt it was my duty to carry, my Father-in-Law informed me that the more people who have permits the less the chance they will revoke the ability to have them.

MS-13 moved into town, started killing people just like me for no reason.

VIP Member
    No major incident helped me make the decision, though I have been involved in some minor incidences. Recently some of our neighbors houses have been burglarized, and after the burglary they all started alarm services, new locks, etc. So ultimately they got burgled then spent the money. Although I haven't been burglarized, I decided to spend the money as if I had been burglarized, in other words I was being pro-active. Those are my exact thoughts about CCW, I'm not going to wait until the inevitable happens to me, I'm preparing now ahead of time.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Senior Moderator
    I carry a gun because five years ago I was kidnapped, raped and beaten.

I carry because no one helped me, though many saw.

I carry because I'll never wait for someone to save me ever again.

I carry because two years ago, three men attempted to rob my husband.

I carry because if he had not had a gun with him that night I may have never gotten to hold him again.

I carry because I have a beautiful life I want to protect.

I carry because I can.

I carry because I know what it's like to be helpless, and I'll never be helpless again.

I carry because I live alone more than I do with my husband because he travels so much and anyone with half a brain could try to exploit that.

I carry because I know there is such a thing as a fate worst than death, and I refuse to be part of that again.

I carry because no one will ever prey on me without experiencing the biggest fight of their life.

I carry because it took me fourteen years to learn my life was important and I deserved to be happy. It took me another four years to build that life for myself. I WILL defend it.

I carry because one day I will have children, and I will defend them as no one defended me.

I carry because 911 can take up to 25 minutes to respond. My .45 responds at a rate of around 900 feet per SECOND.

I carry because I want to come home to my husband EVERY night.

I carry because force only understands an equal or greater force.

I carry because I know the capacity for evil in people.

I carry because screaming, "HELP!", "RAPE!", "FIRE!" or any other word doesn't seem to make a difference to people who are determined not to get involved.

I carry because my husband is worth it. Because my future children are worth it. Because my family is worth it.

I carry because I'm worth it.

Because the only thing necessary for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Welcome to the forum Kelly

Realizations over time of the reality of things.....horror stories told from victims, my own awarness of how vurnable i had been, and that I just was NOT gonna be a victim if had an equalizer aviliable to me.

Being in the service, growing up around guns, and having friends and family in various LEO careers got me to taking the next step (for me anyway) to get my CWP and adjust my entire mindset.

Be Safe and look forward to seeing around the forum.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

An unexplained stroke at the age of 30 followed by the unfortunate incident @ Virginia Tech put protection at the forefront of my priorities.

As young people tend to do, I always thought I was 10 ft. tall and Bulletproof. I grew up playing sports, baseball, football, soccer, and practicing martial arts. Fast forward 10 years, I was/am in decent shape, a little on the hefty side since I have a desk job and don't play sports anymore, but otherwise very healthy. Sitting in a chair, reading a book, in an airport waiting on a connecting flight, I had a stroke, something smaller than the head of a pin could have killed me. Needless to say, I no longer have any delusions about being Bulletproof.

I got home from the hospital and the first thing I see on the news is the VT shooting. I realized that, no longer being bulletproof, there was little I could do to defend myself and my wife from an armed attacker. I get around well after the stroke, but I have diminished sensations on one side of my body, I don't know how well I could do in a hand to had fight anymore. I had long considered getting a CCW license, and the combination of these events pushed up to a priority.

I still feel 10 ft tall, but I know that I'm not bulletproof.
    "When a man attempts to deal with me by force, I answer himóby force.
    "... No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had the right to choose: his own." -John Galt, Atlas Shrugged

Assistant Administrator
    Welcome from me too.

I could cheat and endorse much of Lima's excellent list but will just say that I have always from when quite young, felt it is every person's right to self defence. Preferably thru access to a firearm.

Until 2000 I was a UK citizen (correction - SUBJECT ) ...... and it was most decidely NOT legal to carry. I did tho until 1997 have handguns around my home and so was at least in that respect able to have some protection. After 1997 even that option dissolved altho a shotgun was still available.

I am now a proud American and relish my option to (at last) be able to carry and have the means at my disposal to protect me and mine in extremis ....... but certainly hope to make it to worm food without ever using that ultimate choice.

I realized long ago - ''stuff'' happens - anytime, anywhere - and without the ability to have precognition, work on the basis that being prepared and taking responsibility for one's own safety is without doubt the way to go.

My answer to the ''why'', is simply the fullfillment of a lifelong wish to do so - as my innate right - now legal for me for over five years.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

That is absolutely eloquent. I'm glad you recovered from such an experience with such a positive personality. (and such a resolve to never be a victim again.)
    Bobhock

Assistant Administrator
    Bob - welcome and if your comment was toward me I thank you for it. Lima too was most eloquent and deserves kudos.

(I noticed you had contributed on 5th for which we thank you, but your icon was not showing right - I have corrected that and apologize for it not coming up correctly - it happens sometimes.)
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Wow! After reading what limatunes and P95Carry stated, all other reasons seem banal at best.

I will add my reason, however over simplistic it may seem though.
    What put me "over the edge" happened early on this past Superbowl Sunday. An acquaintance and patron of mine, while delivering his newspapers that day was not only robbed, but ended up being shot and killed as well. He never carried much on him, and would never put up any kind of guff over a few bucks or anything else. Later that week in one of the local papers I believe, there was an unrelated article with convicts about their "lifestyle" and actions. One of the answers was that no matter how much or how little they got from their victims, they were going to do whatever it takes to keep from being identified.........namely killing their victims.
    Even though it hasn't happened to me, I think I can deal with being robbed, maybe even assaulted to a point. But killed? I don't think so. Unfortunately I can't carry while at work as a U.S. Postal Letter Carrier, but try to do so every other time it's feasable. I'm not too fond of being listed in the obits!

WHEN the SHTF, all the big city folks will be 'heading for the hills'. Well that's where I live. I don't want half of Charlotte or Winston-Salem roaming around my back yard. The 3 cops in town aren't going to be able to stop any of this, so basically you are on your own.

Virginia Tech. I am a student at VT and I lost 5 friends that day including one of the best professors I have ever had. I would have been in that classroom, listening to THAT lecture, with the same professor if Cho decided he wanted to do that a semester earlier. The police responded very quickly and broke through the chains that he had on the doors in less than a minute..but we all saw how much damage he did in the mean time.

Now VT isn't the whole reason I am a cc-er now. I had been planning on getting a handgun for a while and I was in the process of saving up for one. It just made me realize that I should get one sooner than later. Thats pretty much it. Unfortunately I will get suspended or expelled if I get caught carrying on campus (its not against the law its against policy)...my personal debate is between "concealed is concealed" and "I have 2 semesters left..it would suck if I got expelled". Next year I will be pushing VERY hard to have the policy changed. There is no reason people with CHP's should not be allowed to carry on campus.

I admit that when I first started to carry it was more of a novelty than a necessity. Many of the guys that I went to class with were friends, many of them only took the course just to take the course, to have the option available.

It wasn't until a couple of years later that just after a friend and I parted ways after work he was mugged and beaten pretty badly. He told me that he could still see my taillights as the attack started. I felt horrible that it had happened, and scared to think that it could have been a whole lot more than just a mugging. (Edited to add: That still wasn't enough of a wake-up call to take defensive carry more seriously.)

Then I moved across the country, and married the most beautiful and fantastic person that I have ever known. It was at that point that I knew in no uncertain terms that I was never going to go down without a fight. From that point on, I have carried a firearm or some other sort of defense with me at all times. Perhaps one day I will be able to convince my bride to consider her safety as well as that of our kids.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

Quote Originally Posted by blueridge View Post
    WHEN the SHTF, all the big city folks will be 'heading for the hills'. Well that's where I live. I don't want half of Charlotte or Winston-Salem roaming around my back yard. The 3 cops in town aren't going to be able to stop any of this, so basically you are on your own.
    You mean I can't come over??
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

Our community has had an influx of aliens who have a different set of values than I grew up with. Whether many of these folks are even legal is questionable, gang activity has become the norm. Don't have a clue what's being said around me in stores and other public places half the time. In a nutshell I simply don't feel safe without a gun anymore.
    I hate that it has come to this but I'll do whatever I need to do in order to stay safe or at least have a fighting chance.

I'm humbled...

First, I'm humbled by the posts from Limatunes and P95.

In 1971, while serving in N. Thailand, I was jumped by 4 guys late at night - one with a knife and one with a revolver. After taking my wallet and watch, they tried dragging me into a nearby taxi. It was flee or die.

Fast forward to 2000, when my wife and I surprised a black bear while hiking in Maine.

The first event deeply planted the seed, the second made it grow and bloom.
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; July 11th, 2007 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Correct spelling of mod's username

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links