Why did you start carrying? - Page 3

Why did you start carrying?

This is a discussion on Why did you start carrying? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 30 years ago I was robbed by three punks, three to one is not very good odds. Need I say more! "First rule of a ...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Why did you start carrying?

30 years ago I was robbed by three punks, three to one is not very good odds. Need I say more!

"First rule of a gun fight is to have a gun"

My old job had me out at "crackhead" hours in seedy parts of town carrying large amounts of cash.
    كافر(Infidel)
    He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146
    German philosopher (1844 - 1900)

Two things:

The first was having an employee murdered for 50 bucks. I managed a stop-n-rob/gas station. It happened 1/2 hour before I was supposed to be there. I don't think the thugs would have minded killing two.

The second was having a .357 pointed at me during another robbery. The only thing I could provide was a very good description of the weapon, unless you count the shade of panty hose the two were wearing over their heads.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    A friend of mine was the victim in a high-profile missing-persons/murder case. I had carried a little bit before, but ever since then I decided I could never stand by and let something like that happen to another family. I couldn't live with myself knowing I could have done something.

Some people would probably say that I sound like a vigilante, but I don't go around advertising why to strangers I meet face to face. Nor do I go looking for trouble.

Welcome to the forums.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

I've always supported the right to carry weapons, as even though I could not/did not choose to, I felt safer knowing that in the eyes of a potential attacker, I might just be carrying one. I always figured I'd take a class and get a permit eventually, just never seemed to get around to it. That and, like Protect said, being young and feeling bulletproof.

Then Virginia Tech happened. As there are some here who are VT students I certainly don't claim to have been directly affected by it as they were, but being in academia myself it hit me pretty hard. I signed up for a class a few days later, filled out my paperwork and was fingerprinted the next business day, and 7 weeks later I had received the permit and was shooting rentals at a nearby range.

i've always had guns since i was a little kid. i'd often entertained the idea of a CCW permit, but just never got around to it. i didn't really think it was important. i, like too many folks out there, thought that bad things only happened to other folks.

i had an encounter with a burglar in my home that woke me up. details were posted in the success stories forum.
    War is not the ugliest of things. Worse is the decayed state of moral feeling which thinks nothing is worth a war. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which he cares for more than his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free. -J.S. Mill

lima, whew. it's hard to find any words. thank you for being brave enough to share. it's the rare attitudes like yours that renew my hope for man.
    War is not the ugliest of things. Worse is the decayed state of moral feeling which thinks nothing is worth a war. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which he cares for more than his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free. -J.S. Mill

Katrina

Stopped 'having in nearby' in the glovebox, after the storm.
    "Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle." Psalm 144:1

First off, Limatunes, that was .... beautiful to say the least. You are a talented writer. I had a very short semi-sarcastic answer to the question, yet truthful. After seeing the other answers, it doesn't quite matter anymore really. I have always felt that people should be able to defend themselves anyway possible if needed. I always felt I was safe where I lived, it being a smallish city north of the capital city here. It was mostly quiet and peaceful. Then two words happened, Hurricane Katrina. The influx of rejects from New Orleans began to flood our city and things changed. Life changed. I no longer felt safe for me or my family. I changed my ways and began to carry.
    "While the wicked stand confounded, call me with thy saints surrounded."

Springfield XD9-SC
    1895 Chilean Mauser
    1981 Yugoslavian M59/66 SKS
    1943 Mosin-Nagant M-38
    NRA Life Member(when it gets paid for)
    Moving Eventually ... Montana or Wyoming anyone?

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    I guess I came by it naturally. My father owned a small garage and was frequently called out, late at night, to pull a car out of the ditch or from over the side of the mountain - he always carried a S&W squeezer. I started working for a coal company and had to carry a gun when I was hauling dynamite or caps. Then I spent 24 years in the military and then 6 years as a federal agent. Having been shot twice, once by a shotgun and the other by a .357 Magnum I want something with me at all times so I can defend myself. Prior to my state having a CCW permit I carried a J-handle in my pocket.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

VIP Member
    Because I could.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    Two reasons,

I took a 9mm hollowpoint slug to my left leg when I was 14, as a result of a driveby. Fortunately it failed to expand.

2. Nearly got stabbed last year while completing a Wally World shopping trip.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

I live in a small town north of Houston where nothing ever happens,but on weekends the wife and i like to go to the Humble/Houston area to shop and eat. Right after Hurricane Katrinia and the sudden rise in crime in the area we decided it is time and the wife and i both got or permits and carry 24/7.

nn: +1

Because the 2nd amendment gives me the right to!
    NRA Member

"...the Constitution does not say Government shall decree the right to keep and bear arms. The Constitution says ‘the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.’” - Ronald Reagan

Lima, there should be patriotic music playing during your post.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links