Why did you start carrying? - Page 4

Why did you start carrying?

This is a discussion on Why did you start carrying? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Might as well dispense with the obvious - There have been a lot of powerful posts on this subject. Quite moving to be perfectly honest. ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Might as well dispense with the obvious - There have been a lot of powerful posts on this subject. Quite moving to be perfectly honest.

I probablly have the abilty to express my heart to those with some of these "challenges," but I don't have the ability to do that in less than 1000 words. Let me just say that my thoughts are with you and I wish only the best.

I don't have any defining moment that caused me to carry. I grew up, loooong ago in a tough neighborhood. I both gave and recieved violence, so I'm not all that moved by that.

More than anything, I believe it was the absolute random and insane terrorism that hit the world. No logic, brains, fear or purpose in this savagery.

I got thinking about what I might do to protect my wife and kids, if out of nowhere, we suddenly found ourselves in an awful situation. Crime and all of those other things were in there, but random crap sealed the deal.

KellyCooper started this and speculated a little as to how we might think differently after reading that opening post.

Well, I must admit that I do feel "different" now. What I know for absolute certain is that this is a very bright and intuitive human being. I suspect it was the honesty and courage in that post that helped others to feel more comfortable in what they said.

I couldn't possibly have more respect for you, right now, Kelly.

everyone else is doing it...

I must say that limatunes writing was extremely concise and to the point. She is doing well as she seeks to be a writer.
    I dont have a specific reason why I carry. I once participated in a law enforcement electronic training shooting session. Where a computer displays video senario's on a screen and tracks who you shoot and dont shoot. I killed all the bad guys and didnt shoot or hurt any of the good guys. The officer in charge asked me if I had my ccp and I said I didnt. He told me to get one! So I did! That was 6 years ago.

Thank you very much Zigmun
    After reading all of the replies to this post, I am kind of blown away by the responses. They are all quite powerful and varied. I admire the honesty and courage of everyone on here for digging deep and letting the rest of the board know some of our secrets as to who we are and why we do what we do. I suppose I was expecting more of a "general consensus" but rather found that this is a personal decision made for many different reasons. There is no one common "trigger". However, the theme of protecting one's self (and loved ones) in an ever-increasingly violent world does seem to resonate. And of course, being the person who is worth protecting.
    ~~~the biggest deficit of the general public is a lack of personal accountability.. I have no one to blame for my actions, regardless of circumstances, except myself and by the same token I can hold no one else responsible for my protection and well being other than myself~~~

Carried for years in a time and place where concealed carry was not permitted, but open carry with a cover garment was just protecting the firearm from the elements.

Quit carrying for quite a few years since we always have made it a point to live in very low crime areas.

Lately, the goblins seem more mobile than in years past, and our distance from the nearest urban areas just isn't a good buffer anymore. There have been rapes, murders, bank and liqour store robberies, and quite a few hold ups at the Stop-n-Robs.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Discussion from September: clickie.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I fortunately have not had to live through the horrors others here have described. I had been a volunteer firefighter / Emergency Medical Technician for six years in the D.C. suburbs. I then got hired as a dispatcher for a county police department. This is now the early nineties, and my wife was working for a company that makes communications satelites. We were invited by her company to attend some functions in Florida. Since I was going to drive down, I figured my Maryland license plates would make me an obvious target, so I got a Florida non resident permit. I will never forget my wife asking me if I thought it was really necessary. We were watching CNN Headline News. The next story they ran was about two German tourists robbed and murdered at a highway rest stop in Florida.
    That being said.....
    Welcome to the forum Kelly

Too many gangbangers (with guns) and WAY TOO MUCH METH going around.

That stuff makes people do crazy desperate violent things. It truly is a new plague.

Lead Moderator
    Former LE work, combine with a late night brawl with 6 guys as well as a few other near encounters.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

About 23 years ago, when I lived in Houston, Texas, I was on a jury trying an individual for Capital murder. In those days the jury resolved the guilty verdict or not and set the sentence, if a guility verdict. we found the individual guility and the sentence was death by lethal injection.( there was no doubts). after sentencing the death threats began and life was not easy for my little family. I started legally carrying. fast foward 2 years and we moved to Colorado. We were found, the threats came back and legal carrying contined. From then, carrying has been a way of life. After all, the Dad is responsible for the immediate safety of His family PERIOD. No way, no how will an actor. hurt my family. Be calm, collected purposeful and take action when necessary....and oh yes, you need the tool to take action with. Be ready there are lifes in the balance.

1)The front door of my apartment was kicked in, thankfully while I wasn't home.
    2)I was assualted in my own living room by a roommates 'boyfriend'.
    3)The way the world seems to be going(statistically more crime)
    4)Living in a not so good part of town.
    5)Realizing that the police wont be there the very second that I need them and that I am responsible for my personal safety and that of my wife and child.

So I guess it was just a lot of little things that built up right before and after my 21st birthday that lead me to getting my CHL.
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The names change and the reasons vary, but we all have a few things in common.

We are all human, and share a common instinct that as humans, we all desperately WANT TO LIVE! It's part of our genetic code.

Second, man (gender neutral) is a predatory animal and as such, is capable of inflicting unspeakable horrors against our fellow man.

Third, while society as a whole in an effort to tame or change or deny who we are genetically, tries to ignore who we are, and basically tries to dictate how we as civilized people should act in a utopian society.

Fourth, some of us, having knowledge and being foreward thinking, have the brain capacity to understand that not everyone plays by the rules.

Fifth, when it comes right down to it, we realize that civilized people need to take responsibility for our own actions and as such, we choose not to abdicate our right to protect ourselves to someone else who neither has the resources nor personal vested intrest in order to do the job for us.

Therefore, we acknowledge our absolute right to use whatever force necessary to protect our sacred life or the life of another innocent and we choose to excersise that right as bestowed upon us by our creator.

Personally, I have had a couple close encounters in which I wasn't sure I would survive. If I have my choice, I am not going to die alone and in the street at the hands of some miscreant who values nothing... provides society with nothing... and in essence deserves no mercy from me for his decision to waste his life.

I value human life. I believe life... all life is sacred.

I will do my best to avoid taking a human life.

I have served my country by doing my time in our nations armed forces; and I have devoted my life to using my ability and my skills to preserve life and ease suffering, for no more reward that helping my fellow man. (I ain't in EMS for the money, Jack)

But I will not stand by and allow some monster to take my life away from me either. Not without a fight!

My life is sacred... to me, to my family, and to my God.

If I choose to sacrifice my life for someone else, it is my choice and not the choice of some scumbag on the street looking for a thrill or just to satisfy their hatred towards life.

Those who selfishly try to take my life away from me, forfeits their opportunity to live.

That's just the way I feel... YMMV
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    I value human life. I believe life... all life is sacred.

[But,] Those who selfishly try to take my life away from me, forfeits their opportunity to live.
    That's about it. I value my life and the lives of my loved ones and friends sufficiently highly to do what's necessary to protect them, no matter what it takes, at whatever cost to the BG, even if it kills him.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

BAC
    I don't carry yet.

Actually, if you were to confront me a year ago about it, I probably would have shrugged it off. What did it matter to me? I was nineteen and had bigger problems to worry about. You know, job, college, girlfriend, car...

I've since learned how to play "connect the dots". I've since looked back at all of the history I was ever taught. I looked at all of the laws and regulations that permitted the greatest documented atrocities in modern time. I looked at my own country for the first time and was able to compare what was on paper to what it was becoming.

I got scared, but not for myself. My mom refuses to arm herself. My dad is slightly into it but not really. Without the multitude of cops in my neighborhood, there is nobody to protect my family and friends, the people who I love, when they need it.

In three days I will be taking my 26-hour Class G armed security course to carry on duty for a security job. In a month or two I will be attending novice and intermediate tactical handgun courses. This fall I will purchase my first handgun, and I will train with it, even though I have to rely on the parents for ammution.

In February I will be legal to carry a concealed weapon in Florida, and I will. I will also apply for every out of state concealed-carry license I am eligible for, because I will not be helpless if the worst comes to happen, wherever I am.

I will carry mine for the same reason police carry theirs.

-B

Administrator
    To make a long story short.
    I was attacked by multiple thugs (robbery attempt) when I was fairly young and working my first "real" job.
    It was dusk - I was waiting for a bus - the neighborhood was not great - when I resisted there was an attempt to stab me in the chest - I was being held from behind but (somehow) and by some miracle - I managed to block that stab but, "caught" the ice pick through my wrist - it exited the other side and caused some decently serious nerve damage but, better through the wrist than through the heart any ol' day.
    I knew that I would carry as soon as I legally could and have carried ever since.
    Luckily I've not needed to ever use my daily carry firearm but, I sure could have used it back then and on that fateful day.
    That event gave me a real reality check and it changed my life for the better so I don't curse the fact that iit happened.
    It made me realize that I am responsible for me.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links