Why did you start carrying?

This is a discussion on Why did you start carrying? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Shooter... I'm glad you're still with us! Glad you are part of this great forum. Stay Safe, be prepared....

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Why did you start carrying?

Shooter... I'm glad you're still with us!

Glad you are part of this great forum.

Stay Safe, be prepared.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

2. Remove Ads

What I said in my previous post still stands but there is a small part of me that was so impressed with Harry Callahan's control over any and all adverse events that even as a young 'un in the 70's I wanted to be able too do the same...

I can't imagine how many guns sold the week that Dirty Harry came out.

When I thought repoing cars would be a cool job in my 20's.

Job lost it's coolness quickly, never stopped carrying.
    The Marshmallowist

In a world that is getting crazy and deadly, I’ve got to protect what’s important… MY FAMILY!

“It’s better to have it & not need it then need it & not have it.”
    Attached Images

Administrator

Thumbs up FireMedicRogers

Two Very CUTE reasons to carry.
    Nice Photo.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Societal Changes

I realized the need to carry many years ago, when I was in the Army.

The world is changing fast and furious and there are more abberant behaviors out there than ever before.

Lastly, I have a family and it my responsibility to ensure their safety and teach them how to protect themselves.

When I lived in San Diego many years ago there were several deaths every day. They didn't even make the front page most of the time.

When I came to Utah back in the laste 70's it was a pretty cloistered environment. Nwow that I am back to stay there are events in the news each night that someone has been killed.

The world seems to be getting meaner and extremeists are bringing it to our back yards. I feel it is my right that I can protect my family and myself. In one of Clancy's latest books: "Eye of the Tiger" , one of the targets was Provo Towne Mall in Utah Valley. Civilians jumped in to help keep that instance from getting out of control like several other of the sites.

We must be prepared always. BG, just like Homeland Security is probably not going to give us difinitive intel

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    I started carrying because I came to realize that the guns were not going to follow me around.

No, seriously, I started carrying as soon as I was legally able to, because I had long ago reasoned out that it's better to be prepared for what might happen than to let it happen and find yourself wishing you'd prepared.

My brother turned me on to knives and guns when I was just a little kid, and it never left me. Now I have a strong ideological stance that I will not let myself be victimized by criminals. So I carry.

I don't carry yet, but I will get my CCW permit soon. I carried occasionally (less than legally) in the '70's and '80's after being assaulted by a drunk transient with a knife (no injuries, but scared me). I debated carrying legally for years and the VT tragedy solidified my resolve. I will protect my family at all costs, as well as the lives of innocents.

And, reading Limatune's reasons really p*** me off, because no one should ever have to go through something like that, and if I had been there I would have helped.
    Lifetime NRA Member
    Bleeding Heart, Gun-Toting Liberal (sort of)

I started carrying when I felt a credible threat to myself, my family and employees.

In my former life I owned a business. One of my employees had a thug for an ex-husband. She ahd started a new life. He kept coming on the property and stirring things up.

I had a notice of trespass issued to him and he ignored it. My assistant made him leave the next time he came. He left, but in a bit of a rage-cursing and yelling as he walked out.

Soon after leaving, he called back and told my assistant that he would do the same thing to her that he had done to his ex-wife. In short, beat her within an inch of her life.

I immediately swore out a tresspass warrant and had him arrested, which made him even angrier. He made credible threats to others that he was not taking this lightly and would settle the score.

Crime was nothing new to his life. He was a know meth dealer and was also known to always be armed. He knew where I lived and I believed that I needed to level the playing field.

With my wife's 100% support I bought a reliable firearm and took a private class from the best educator in the area--retired SWAT and police academy instructor.

The thug is serving time for meth distribution and has a suspended sentence for the tresspassing. I have since turned that business over to an old partner and moved to New Mexico. I still carry daily.

I changed as a result of my experience. Understanding how close and unpredictable threats may be woke me up. I was never anti-gun but never really thought that I had a need for one. I have since become more aware of how close random acts of violence have been and just how random many of them are.

The police are not my bodyguards. I now own my responsibility for my safety and that of my family.

EW3
    I decided to carry because of, believe it or not, the events of Virginia Tech.

As soon as I heard about it on the radio that morning, I immmediately tried to call my sister in Blacksburg, whose husband is a soccer coach there. It turned out that he was caught up in the whole affair and was locked down near where all the shooting occured. In fact, he told us later that he could hear it. One girl on his team decided to blow off class that morning to come to a practice session he was having. Her class that she would've been in that morning was one of the groups that was executed by the shooter.

Earlier in the year I was in Mississippi with the Air Force, going to a school for the Air Guard. We prior-service guys all hung out togther, including an Alabama police officer who insisted on carrying everywhere we went. We all thought he was crazy and maybe a bit paranoid, but now I think he had the right idea. Better to be prepared and never have to use it, than be a ghost wishing you were.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" – George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

VIP Member
    My natural evolution...I love guns and everything about them.....Have been around firearms of some sort for 50 years..

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    Three reasons:

To be prepared for the worst

When I was 14, I took a 9mm hollowpoint slug to my left leg (I was at the wrong place at the wrong time, and it was from a driveby shooting). Fortunately the round failed to expand.

I nearly became a stabbing victim last year.

I refuse to become another crime statistic now.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I started carrying because I can and I do not like depending on others
    to protect me.Firearms or the use of them most of the time are
    will stop most crimes but if the trigger needs to be pulled it will be.
    The world is becoming more violent and ccw gives me a silent sense
    of peace.

VIP Member
    In the early 1990's I realized I wasn't immortal. I was finding myself working in undesirable areas & had no means of defense.

So I went thru ALL the hoops that were required at that time (before Virginia went 'shall issue').
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

i starting carrying in the military, but not because of it, just because of the other soldiers that were my friends who did and grew up around firearms etc. it was an eye opener as far as rights, laws, the ability of self defence. i became a qualified armorer in the army before i carried so that helped smooth the transition.

now that i'm not active duty anymore and moved back home to PA, i've got the stats of Philly (a few mins. away) still having the highest murder rate in the country this year. i think it wants to keep it that way too from what i see on the news everyday.
    What's this button do?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links