Why did you start carrying?

This is a discussion on Why did you start carrying? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am interested in knowing if the members here have ever had instances in their lives that "woke them up" and caused them to start ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why did you start carrying?

Why did you start carrying?

I am interested in knowing if the members here have ever had instances in their lives that "woke them up" and caused them to start carrying. This could be a personal experience or even second hand recounting of an incident that caused them to go from unarmed citizen to responsible ccw permit holder. I am sure this question has been asked many times before in various ways, but I could not find a really good thread on it.

Now before I post MY reason, I will admit that it may actually make me somewhat unpopular, but i feel it is best to be up front and honest about certain issues. I also, am not looking to start any kind of argument, and in fact will not participate in one. I am merely stating my reasonings behind my decision to carry. I, myself, am a transexual. Not the Jerry Springer or the corner-prostitute type, but a normal person who happens to suffer from gender-dysphoria. This is not a decision I made. I am who I am. However, I will admit, that there were decisions on my part that WERE made. Those decisions were whether to suffer silently and end up with a rather short life or to do something about it and actually live my life. I chose the second route. It was not an easy choice. I lost a lot of friends and family is now distant. All of this with virtually no positives to speak of except, that I can now live with myself. This does not happen overnight and is a rather long process. As it stands now, I am still living and working as a guy, but all the while, my body is starting to change due to my medicines. This has caused me to, on more than one occasion, be severely harassed. There have been no violent instances at all yet (thank God) but the threat is always there, for reasons as simple as just being me. Now, I am not walking around with a chip on my shoulder looking to start a fight. In fact, in my decision to start carrying, I have stated that I hope I NEVER have to even show my gun much less use it, but if the situation arises, I will be armed, and well trained on its use. I am not looking for any special rights due to who I am. I just want to enjoy the same freedoms as every other citizen and to be left alone. I know that my reason for carrying is different than 100% (with mine thrown out as the official margin of error) of other users on here. All that said, I know who I am. I value my life more than to let someone with a problem with me take that problem out on me.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    First, welcome to the forums.

Seems to me that you have a valid reason for carrying, and an increased need for risk awareness. You definitely seem to have the proper attitude on use of the firearm for defense - i.e. you hope you never have to.

If you are new to carrying, please take the time to seek out a good defensive pistol course. I know when I took my first class, even having been an avid range shooter, I was surprised to learn how much I didn't know.

Welcome to the forums, and stay safe.

Oh, yeah, and my reason for carrying...

I spent the better part of two decades in EMS, and saw firsthand what some people in our society will do to others whom they perceive as weaker or different or vulnerable. When I moved to Florida, I applied for a CWFL right away.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    No special events for me. I attribute my decision to carry to a gradual evolution of opinion, and a small degree of peer pressure (my battle buddy was getting one).

I grew up in central California, where owning a gun is taboo. My dad kept them away from us kids because he didn't want want us talking about it a school (he has since come out of the closet so to speak).

I bought my first firearm at the age of 20 for shooting clays (because it was fun). Then a 30-06 mostly because my ex-wife mad me drive 200 miles have lunch with her friends (also thought I might pick up hunting). Then a 10-22, then a Hi-point 9mm, a 1911, a .357 magnum, MAK-90, etc.

The more guns I bought, the more research I did. The more I learned the more I realized the wisdom of self defense. It wasn't until Kansas congress passed what would be th CC law that I really took interest. I read up on it, and decided it what I wanted to do.

I no threats on my life (other than terrorists in general), I live in an area that has one of the lowest crime rates in Kansas (but one of the highest alcohol consumption rates in the country), and I don't make many people angry in person (online I often upset the gun ban crowd). I carry "just in case".
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    I started carrying a handgun in my glovebox/console when I turned 21. I never got my CCL although I told myself that I needed to. I was somewhat naive I guess. I figured I was safe with it in my vehicle. Once I got married, had a kid, saw the rising crime problems and realized it could happen to me, I decided to get one and I have been carrying everyday since.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

I started carrying when I was 19 (legal in ME where I'm from). The reason that I first got my permit was simply be another permit holder out there and for what it stood for. It wasn't until a few years later that I started carrying all the time. No particular reason, just the slow realization that I'm the only one who can take care of myself.

I was raised around Guns and shooting my entire life, My Dad got his CCP about 10 years ago and said it would be a good idea for me to get mine, however it was around the same time I got married and my wife said "NO!" . She had a bad experience with firearms before we met. She tolerated having them in the house and when our children were old enough, teaching them about guns and taking them shooting.
    Then the Trolley Square shooting happened and she works at the hospital where some of the victims were taken, that changed her mind and she realized that at anytime when we are out with our family anything can happen and we should take every precaution in protecting our 4 kids and ourselves. I signed up and took my CCP class shortly thereafter and the rest is history.

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    I thankfully didn't have a close call to startle me into carrying, but there was this nagging thought in the back of my head, I couldn't quit put a finger on it. Some friends took the class, so after a while, and more thought, I took the class. Then while looking around for other info, I found this forum, and the quote I made into my signature. It was that quote that put into words far better than I could have ever explained, that nagging thought that I couldn't figure out. And of course being married, and later expanding to a full fledged family was another reason.
    Last edited by 4my sons; July 11th, 2007 at 11:22 AM. Reason: spelling
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

VT.

I've owned a pistol for 30 years, but never carried. Then, after VT, I started doing some research. I found out about the recent history of Shall Issue CCW in the past 20 years, including the fact that PA, where I've lived since '93, is Shall Issue. So I decided to exercise my 2nd amendment-guaranteed right and be responsible for my own self-defense.

Updated my armory with a G19 (and later a PM9), found out the UT non-res CCW permit gains me additional states with reciprocity, took a UT CCW course in PA, found out about a Defensive Pistol course at the same place the following weekend, and signed up for it.

That's it in a nutshell.
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

...because after merely hearing about the things Leo Gaje did to a slab of beef at a knife fighting seminar my brother attended, I came to the logical, common-sense conclusion that it would be prudent to acquire and learn how to use the most effective tool currently available for preventing HORRIFIC(!!You have been warned...!!) things like this or this from being inflicted on me by a punk with a $5 knife.
    "An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."
    - Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC

I can't fit a cop in my holster..... Ok, I've been shooting for around 30 years. As stated earlier, It's up to you to protect yourself for the most part. Violent crime is a fact of life. A lot of people worked very hard to attain this right, so we could. The part of town I live in in can be pretty rough,

VIP Member
    I started carrying when the laws in my state finally allowed me to do so.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Senior Moderator
    I started carrying when I worked alone at a Mom and Pop video store in the mid-90's. I then worked as a armed security guard. Both of these were while I was an undergrad in college.

I worked as a Police dispacther and contracted with the Department of Foresic Science while in grad school and only carried on long trips or special circumstances.

After I got married I realized that I would not be able to live with myself if anything happened to my family. I was legally able to carry a CCW so I took a pistol class joined IDPA and have been carrying everyday for 4 years now.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I greww up in an area of the country that not only is their no cw option but self defense itself is frowned upon. I knew people that were mugged, raped, and murdered and witnessed a shooting between police and robber while working at a gas station. It wasn't till i joined the service that i discovered that their were parts of the country that encouraged self defense. Anyhow thats why i carry.

Welcome to the forum. Lots of good info around here.
    My reason...? No "reason" per say other than general self defense. There is a saying that I read (maybe on here somewhere) that basically sums up my reason for carrying. I think it was someone's response to a friend or family member asking them why anyone would need a gun. The answer was. "nobody needs a gun...until they need a gun." Deep right!! Anyhow, that's the way I feel. Better to be prepared and never need it than to need it and not be prepared. Also, (my opinion coming) waiting until you have a close call or something terrible happen to you in order to protect yourself is silly. An anology has been made to buying a fire extiguisher after your house burns down. You get my point. Sorry about the mini-rant. Stay safe. -PA
    Never criticize a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes...that way, when you criticize him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

Kelly, Welcome to the forum.

I had 3 death threats a couple of years ago, and began to realize just how unprepared and inadequate I was to defend myself and my family. I debated long and hard for several reasons about carrying, whether or not I could/would use a deadly weapon on someone else, and knowing my wife's likely negative reaction.

Then, came the VT shootings. I decided I would not sit by and be a victim, whatever the venue. Within days I bought a handgun, enrolled in my CWP class, and began trying to learn in order to be mentally prepared to carry.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links