cant see my sights

This is a discussion on cant see my sights within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So i know very well that it is better to keep both eyes open while shooting for many differant reasons. My problem is, I simply ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cant see my sights

Unhappy cant see my sights

So i know very well that it is better to keep both eyes open while shooting for many differant reasons. My problem is, I simply cant.
    I have tried soo many times to do this and have spent lengthy ammounts of time sitting on the bed staring at my sights. I have dont all the usual tests, and i am "right eyed", but i dont think i am by much. see if i close my left eye and line up the sights, as soon as i open or even slightly open my left eye, my view switches to that view (so i pretty much am looking down the left side of the gun and my sights are no where near lines up). the same thing happens if i try using my left eye. So pretty much if i start with one eye closed, if i open the other, my brain switches to that view. if both eyes start open i cant even begin to line up any sights, i can hardly even see them. flicking my eyes doesnt help. scotch tape over safty glasses doesnt help either. its either one eye is closed or i see just a jumble of stuff and i cant make anything out.
    And im not just talking about lining my sights up with the target. i cant line up my front sights with the rear at all.
    Any suggestions?
    I do have a laser grip on my carry gun as well and i have tried combining the laser and sights and it doesnt help much.

2. Remove Ads

Put scotch tape over your left eye on your shooting glasses and go to the range. With both eyes open, you'll only get the right side view and your brain will start to realize the right eye's view is the correct one.
    كافر(Infidel)
    He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146
    German philosopher (1844 - 1900)

Since the sight picture moves when you open your left eye, you are left eye dominant. Its no big deal, you just have to know that you are. I am.

GotSig? suggested you tape your left eye, don't. Tape the right side, you just need to teach yourself to line up with the left eye. Its not natural if you are right handed and left eyed to try and line the sights up with your left eye, you just have to train yourself to do it. Once you have trained yourself to line up with the dominant eye, with both eyes open you will be on target.

Also, it may be difficult to focus on the front sight with both eyes open. It will help if you have high contrast or fiber optic front sights, or just paint fluorescent nail polish on your front sight. The wall drill also helps train you to focus on the front sight since there is nothing else for you to focus on.
    "When a man attempts to deal with me by force, I answer himóby force.
    "... No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had the right to choose: his own." -John Galt, Atlas Shrugged

I never thought of this problem. I seem to have no problems focusing with both eyes at any distance far or near. Do you guys have the same problem looking through binoculars? Kinda interesting.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Instinctive

Try shooting instinctivley (sp?).
    I usually don't use the sights on my handguns, and I'm a pretty decent shot.
    However I don't practice for extreme accuracy. I practice hitting a silouette (sp?) target that can be purchased at any gun store.

If I can keep them all in the "A" or "B" zone, I should be able to stop any person that is attacking me, which is why I also practice shooting whilea walking forward, backward, sideways, and from a kneeling position. A bad guy won't stand still.

Once I get out to 20+ yards, I do use my sights, because I haven't had sufficient practice beyond 20yrds, or I also use them If I'm trying see how tight of a group I can get.

I think it's our nature, that if something has sights, that we think we're supposed to use them, and if we don't it messes with our heads.

When's the last time you've seen sights on a baseball bat, sling shot, golf club, hockey stick, recurve bow, or a bowling ball?

Put some tape over the sights, or take them off and give it a shot (pun intended), I bet you automatically keep both eyes open, and after some practice, you'll get pretty accurate. There's no point in reducing your field of vision by 50%, by closing one eye to shoot your gun. Is that something you really want to do in an Oh crap situation?
    Last edited by P95Carry; July 11th, 2007 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Word change - please no word filter workarounds!

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Protect View Post
    Since the sight picture moves when you open your left eye, you are left eye dominant. Its no big deal, you just have to know that you are. I am.

Discover Your Dominant Eye (from Google)

Select an object that is a few feet away from you.

Stare at the object and then point to the object using your index finger.

When your eyes are focused on the object and not on your finger, you will see two blurry fingers in your line of sight.

Now, close one eye and then close the other eye.
    You will notice that with one of your eyes closed, your index finger will point exactly at the object, however, when the other eye is closed, your finger will point at an area slightly shifted to the side of the object. The eye withwhich you see your index finger pointing exactly at the object is your "Dominant Eye."

Rick

VIP Member
    I am wondering if maybe you should have your eyes checked.

" see if i close my left eye and line up the sights, as soon as i open or even slightly open my left eye, my view switches to that view "

They may be seeing well as far as visual acuity but the images are not being utilized well. Only an eye doc (M.D.) can sort that out.

As far as if im left or right eye dominant. i would say most the tests i have tried show that i am right eye dominant, but not by much. for example- the pointing test you suggested- actually when i close my right eye my finger is slightly left of the object and when i close my left eye my finger is slightly right of the object.
    But if i do the little picture frame thing (make a small hole between my hands, put an object in it. then close and eye and if the object is in it or not)- then im pretty much right eye dominant.
    So as i said. i think im just kinda eye-ambidextrous
    yooper- in an emergency situation i will point shoot or use laser, but i light just target shooting for accuracy as well and would like to be able to with both eyes open.
    protect- when my left eye is open and i focus that way and open to might right it switches to the right as well.
    gotsig- i did try putting scotch tape over safety glasses. didnt work. if the scotch tape is clear enough it is just as if both were open- i cant see squat. and if its a little more smudged then it does work, but its just as if that eye was closed- no matter how long i do that, as soon as i take it off, im back to how it was before.

I shoot with my left eye closed and I don't worry about it. I do it with a shotgun, rifle and pistol. I qualified expert in Corp. You won't lose that much pheriphel vision. If the target is close shoot over the sights with both eyes open and shoot low.

Semper Fi

I forgot to say when shooting left handed I close my right eye.

Semper Fi

haha. i just realized something. if i look at the sights with both eyes open and line up the sights so that i can NOT see the front sight (so for one eye, one back sight is covering it up perfectly and for the other eye the other back sight is covering it up) well then it works fine... i just have to put that empty spot in between the back sights pointed at the spot that right in between the two centers of the target. haha.

I'd say a visit to a good eye doctor is in order. I know about right eye or left dominance, but both eyes shifting dominance I'm not familiar with.

I'm right eye dominant and shoot with both eyes open. Habit from lots of shotgunning. Being over 40 now, I don't get a sharp front sight picture as I did with younger eyes.

it seems with everything else (i was bored so i did a bunch of dominant eye tests i found online), i am right eye dominant. it seems its only when im looking down my sights from i can tell.
    does anyone else have it when they close one eye, line up their sights, open the other, and can no longer tell if the sights are lined up?
    or at least people who cant focus on the front sight with both eyes open?
    i cant quite figure out what the problem is.

Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    Discover Your Dominant Eye (from Google)

Select an object that is a few feet away from you.

Stare at the object and then point to the object using your index finger.

When your eyes are focused on the object and not on your finger, you will see two blurry fingers in your line of sight.

Now, close one eye and then close the other eye.
    You will notice that with one of your eyes closed, your index finger will point exactly at the object, however, when the other eye is closed, your finger will point at an area slightly shifted to the side of the object. The eye withwhich you see your index finger pointing exactly at the object is your "Dominant Eye."

Rick
    I can't even find a dominant eye. I have attempted this numerous times and what I get is a shift in either direction. I am pointing with my right hand, i close my right eye and my finger shifts left of the target. If I close my left eye, my finger shifts right of the target. I can not get it to line up at all. If I focus on my finger and try to point at the target, I get 2 targets. And just how far is "a few feet"? 2, 3, 6, 10?
    "While the wicked stand confounded, call me with thy saints surrounded."

Springfield XD9-SC
    1895 Chilean Mauser
    1981 Yugoslavian M59/66 SKS
    1943 Mosin-Nagant M-38
    NRA Life Member(when it gets paid for)
    Moving Eventually ... Montana or Wyoming anyone?

tried it at many distances. similar for all, but more leaning toward right eye dominant

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links