Notifying officer you're carrying ?

This is a discussion on Notifying officer you're carrying ? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Pete IMO, it helps to tell even if not required. I completely agree, and I'm thankful that I am required to where ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Notifying officer you're carrying ?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    IMO, it helps to tell even if not required.
    I completely agree, and I'm thankful that I am required to where I live. If for whatever reason I am asked to step out of my vehicle I'd rather have them know ahead of time instead of discovering it by accident.

Where I live, a passenger would be required to inform as well.

2. Remove Ads

I agree...I think it would be much better to be upfront with the officer and let them know even if it is not required. Because, as mentioned before, when then run your license it will show that you have a CHL anyways.
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Lead Moderator
    No offense at all but this is a forum, we give lots of opinion and a lot of advice, but if you want cold hard facts regarding the law contact your Sheriff or a lawyer.

If you find out anything interesting be sure to post your findings, I for one would like to hear the final word.

Thanks.
    Better to check your states website and /or contact the AG . Lots of different answers can be found with different LE or lawyers. The AG's opinion is the only one that really holds legal ruling.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by wht06rado View Post
    when then run your license it will show that you have a CHL anyways.
    Not in every state.

VIP Member
    Welcome....If the Driver informs the LEO that they are carrying,why wouldn't the passenger?

Excellent source for state by state facts on the issue is http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USOffLimitsA-M and http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/U...itsN-W.pdf.pdf.

In most states that require voluntary disclosure the law addresses the operator of the motor vehicle. Regardless of state law on the subject, a well trained police officer will ask the question. If they don't however, I generally support the position of voluntary disclosure as a matter of courtesy. Having said that, it is a matter of personal opinion and carries no more weight than the contrary opinion since it is not a matter of law in those states who don't require it.

Interestingly, the ratio of states that require disclosure is only slightly higher than those who don't

Senior Moderator
    The situation has only come up once for me in the context of a contact with a deputy that was not a traffic stop.

I advised him I was armed, and presented my CWFL. I'd rather tell him than have him discover it himself. Creates "good guy points" for being upfront about it.

We're not required to disclose in Florida, but I have decided that will be my policy if the need arises. Your milage may vary.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Quote Originally Posted by simon View Post
    Welcome....If the Driver informs the LEO that they are carrying,why wouldn't the passenger?
    I've been the passenger in a vehicle during a couple different traffic stops where the officer didnt ask for my ID or even say a single word to me. What if the driver isn't carrying? What if no one in the car knows youre carrying?

Only my immediate family, gf, and a few close friends know that I carry. I feel that the less people that know, the better off I am. If I am the passenger in a car with say classmates, or co-workers, or 1 of my professors, I wouldn't want to voluntarily notify the officer (and those in the car with me) unless it was required by law.

here in ma I ask a police officer that same ? she said that you should tell them when you get pulled over, so they would not get sureprise, if they ask you to step out of the car.

Out Of Respect...

I would politely inform...I have found each LE to be polite and professional...none have gone over the line...maybe it's just FL...

OMO

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I have a question to add onto this.

If you do not have to inform him you are carrying. If he asks, do you have to tell him, or can you say no?

Quote Originally Posted by Slash Dragoon View Post

If you do not have to inform him you are carrying. If he asks, do you have to tell him, or can you say no?
    In AZ, we are not required to volunteer the information, unless asked. However, like the majority here, I have gotten out of a LOT of tickets by being as professional, courteous, and empathetic as possible when being pulled over so I reckon that I'd volunteer the information first thing to maintain a respectful relationship with the officer during the stop :)

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    IMO, it helps to tell even if not required.
    In my experience, it has never hurt to not tell.
    I'm not even sure whether a check of the license plate informs the officer that the vehicle registrant has a CCW license in Florida. But I've been pulled over a handful of times, most of them without getting a ticket, and have not only never told the officer I was armed, but never was asked! If I were asked, "Do you have any guns or weapons in the car," etc. I would inform the officer that I was licensed and was carrying a gun, I suppose. But most times (at least on the show "COPS"), they seem to ask in the context of "...that you shouldn't have?"

So, many times, it seems that the question posed is this:
    "Sir, do you have any drugs or weapons in the car that you shouldn't have?"

To that question, I would state simply, "No, I do not."
    Because the fact remains that the gun I do have is not one I "should not have" in the car with me.

My department's lawyer advised that when carrying off duty I should identify myself as an LEO while keeping my hands in plain sight and that I am carrying a concealed handgun. I am then to ask the officer, "How do you want to handle this?" and place myself at the officer's disposal.

Back before LEOSA and when carrying under my CCW I would not inform the officer unless asked or asked to step out of the vehicle. I would inform if I thought he was going to see my weapon or a "bulge" though.

Each state is different, but unless specifically addressed, when a passenger in a traffic stop, I would not inform. Now, if I'm a passenger and carrying under LEOSA, I will not notify the officer unless specifically addressed by the officer. My reasoning is simple, why complicate a traffic stop any more than it already is and give the officer something to worry about?

That's my $0.02 on the matter. I am not a lawyer and this should not be taken as legal advice.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by Slash Dragoon View Post

If you are carrying, and you tell him no.. you are lieing to the officer.. which I think we can all agree, is generally a not good thing to do. Especially if things go downhill and he ends up finding out you lied.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links