Notifying officer you're carrying ?

This is a discussion on Notifying officer you're carrying ? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Not required to here but as the driver I hand my permit with my license anyway out of courtesy....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Notifying officer you're carrying ?

VIP Member
    Not required to here but as the driver I hand my permit with my license anyway out of courtesy.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    I thought that the only things that you could get in trouble for lying to an officer were if they were MATERIAL FACTS.

I could be wrong.

But I mean, if the officer has stopped you for speeding, and asks you how many kids you have, and you don't feel like telling him for some reason, and you said, "None," when it was really four, it's not like you can be prosecuted for it.

If you are stopped for speeding, and you are carrying a gun, and there is no legal obligation for you to inform the officer, and he asks you if you're carrying a gun, and you don't tell the truth, I don't know what statute they would arrest you under: the fact that you are carrying legally absolves you of legal jeopardy for that aspect, and the carrying of a legal gun has nothing to do with the speed stop.

I'd like to read from someone who can articulate whether you really could or could not be in trouble for the "lie."

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    I thought that the only things that you could get in trouble for lying to an officer were if they were MATERIAL FACTS.

I could be wrong.

But I mean, if the officer has stopped you for speeding, and asks you how many kids you have, and you don't feel like telling him for some reason, and you said, "None," when it was really four, it's not like you can be prosecuted for it.

If you are stopped for speeding, and you are carrying a gun, and there is no legal obligation for you to inform the officer, and he asks you if you're carrying a gun, and you don't tell the truth, I don't know what statute they would arrest you under: the fact that you are carrying legally absolves you of legal jeopardy for that aspect, and the carrying of a legal gun has nothing to do with the speed stop.

I'd like to read from someone who can articulate whether you really could or could not be in trouble for the "lie."
    Just because you can't be prosecuted for it, doesn't mean its not wrong.

As for what statute, I'd imagine that would depend on local laws.. In Colorado, failure to provide your permit (in essence, telling the LEO "Nope, no gun here") "upon demand" of the LEO (I think thats how the statute words it), results in a "Class 1 Petty Offense" which, is less then a misdemeanor.. and charges would be dropped if you proved (pre court date) that you had a valid permit at the time of the incident.

Don't forget, LEOs are human too, and would most likely not appreciate being lied to.. so while they may not be able to arrest/prosecute you for lieing about the presence of the gun.. I'm sure they'd be a bit less inclined to just give you a warning for whatever you did to cause the stop in the first place. And they'd probably be a bit more prone to finding anything extra that they could to tack on there..

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links