Notifying officer you're carrying ?

This is a discussion on Notifying officer you're carrying ? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know that in some states, if you are pulled over, you must notify the leo that you are carrying. Does this apply to only ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Notifying officer you're carrying ?

Notifying officer you're carrying ?

I know that in some states, if you are pulled over, you must notify the leo that you are carrying. Does this apply to only the driver, or are the passenger(s) also required by law to notify the officer?

thanks

2. Remove Ads

It all depends on what your local laws are. Some places require that if you have ANY contact with an LEO that you are required to inform. Some don't.

Lots of useful information here:
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ghlight=inform

Welcome to Defensive Carry we all are more than willing to answer your questions, just remember that the search tool is your friend.

http://www.packing.org/state/west_vi...fy_officer_law

It appears that in WV you don't have to inform and you will get greatly differing opinions on if you should anyway or keep it to yourself.

Please read disclaimer below.
    To those that paid for my freedom,
    I WILL NEVER FORGET.

As with all statements I've made and All that I will make, please check your local laws to verify accuracy. (and if i'm wrong let me know as I like to be right in the future) After all I'm just some goofball posting on an internet forum.

IMO, it helps to tell even if not required.

You, and others are free to disagree, but I want him to be calm and friendly, which may be an issue if he 'finds' a weapon on you.

Check the law, follow your heart if the law is a grey area.

Assistant Administrator
    Welcome aboard

Indeed this a subject we have covered more than once. It also usually brings out some degree of contaversy, particularly for folks not obligated by state laws, to say they are carrying.

There are therefore in these states two camps - those who jealously guard and use their rights and say nothing, and those who feel that it is a useful courtesy to mention it up front.

Each to his own is the answer there - and no amount of debate will alter most folk's already decided plan of action

I am in the ''courtesy'' camp BTW!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Thanks for the welcome. I know my local laws. I tried searching packing.org and hangunlaw.us and couldnt find the answer i'm looking for. I can find which states require you by law to notify the officer, but I couldnt find out if the passenger(s) are also required to.

I wasnt trying to start a debate on how you should or should not handle the situation, i was simply trying to find out the legality of the law.

Quote Originally Posted by jalley View Post

I wasnt trying to start a debate on how you should or should not handle the situation, i was simply trying to find out the legality of the law.
    No offense at all but this is a forum, we give lots of opinion and a lot of advice, but if you want cold hard facts regarding the law contact your Sheriff or a lawyer.

If you find out anything interesting be sure to post your findings, I for one would like to hear the final word.

Thanks.

In N.C. driver is required by law to inform. If I'm driving and anybody is packing I require them to inform (John's Law). If I am riding, I will inform.

Assistant Administrator
    Apologies from me too if I misinterpreted - certainly tho it is essential to know your own state law on this.

As Pete mentions ......... research thru Sheriff, a lawyer or your state AG ... any avenue where you can get a definitive and reliable answer. I must admit - tho I know many state's take on this - the WV statutes I am not familiar with.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

No apologies necessary guys. This being my first post on this forum, I didn't want you guys to think I was a troll trying to start a ******* match.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post

As Pete mentions ......... research thru Sheriff, a lawyer or your state AG ... any avenue where you can get a definitive and reliable answer.
    Although, sometimes when you ask you don't get a definitive answer. I went with a question to my local PD recently, I wanted to know if there is an exclusion clause for carrying at sporting/entertainment venues that serve alcohol if you are a trader at that event. I was told there isn't - but to ignore the law and take my chances.
    The LEO was a very helpful and reasonable guy but he told me to break the law and risk the consequences, I explained that I could lose my permit, he shrugged - I guess he hadn't thought of that...

Get a second opinion whoever you ask.

Quote Originally Posted by jalley View Post
    No apologies necessary guys. This being my first post on this forum, I didn't want you guys to think I was a troll trying to start a ******* match.
    Now we have troll's hiding under the bridge...what shall we do..
    Welcome aboard...Shh, I won't tell them unless they ask, but don't tell anyone.
    I know, I know, you are smarter than me..just ask you..

As a Firefighter I work closely with local law enforcement and have asked both county Sheriff and State Police how they like to handle this type of situation. All have advised to let them know if you are armed, it is much better for them know upfront rather than having them see part or all of a weapon, their training will take over and things will get very unpleasant for you. All that I have spoke to support lawfull concealed carry, but their safety comes first. I agree 100%. I believe that even if your local laws do not require discloser it is for your best interest to do so, if for no other reason than common courtesy for those who do go in harms way.

"First rule of a gun fight is to have a gun"

Thats a good question for the CC instructor (as well as the mentioned sheriff etc).

Administrator
    If you are required to tell as a driver, I'd bet a paycheck a passenger is also required to as soon as he becomes part of the situation or is addressed by the LEO.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I recently went through my certification for my permit to carry in CT, and this is what my instructor told us to do should we be pulled over for a traffic stop (note that in CT it's not a requirement to disclose):

"If you are pulled over for whatever reason, and if you believe that during the course of the traffic stop that your firearm that you are carrying on your person or in your vehicle will become visible at *any* point in the stop, it is best to keep your hands on the steering wheel in plain sight and inform the officer that you have a permit to carry, tell him/her the location of the firearm, and ask them what they want you to do. If you do not believe that your firearm will become visible at any point during the stop, do not mention it. However, if your firearm becomes visible and you did not inform the LEO, expect to be looking down the barrel of his service pistol, and he won't be happy. Don't expect a warning, and I wouldn 't blame him."

This wouldn't have to work for simply a traffic stop but could apply to any situation. My state CT is not a very gun-friendly culture, and many LEO's are sometimes ignorant to CCW, mistrustful, or are outright against carrying in this state. That is why I would be very hesitant to disclose to the officer that I am legally carrying the firearm if the law does not require me to do so. Keeping it simple is best. However, what my instructor said is sage advise. If your firearm is going to become visible, disclose from the very beginning.
    "When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."
    --Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links