Just started carrying...what do I do with my wallet?

This is a discussion on Just started carrying...what do I do with my wallet? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I still carry right, wallet right. I am always very conscious about flashing.. probably wouldn't hurt to check out the left side and see how ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Just started carrying...what do I do with my wallet?

I still carry right, wallet right.

I am always very conscious about flashing.. probably wouldn't hurt to check out the left side and see how it works out for me
    N.R.A. Member
    G.O.A. Member
    Unified Sportsmen of Florida Member

2. Remove Ads

I've always carried my wallet in my left front pocket. Depending on what type of pants or shorts I am wearing, it prints sometimes but I feel much better knowing that it's there. If someone wants to try and pick-pocket it, they'll be grabbign a whole lot more than my wallet!
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

First, empty your wallet, because you will no longer have any cash to carry around after buying all your ccw stuff!

I have carried a money clip for years. This is my favorite one because it is slim & thin and has 3 storage slots for ID, and a few credit cards.

A lot of money clips these days have "magnets" in them to keep them closed around your cash. As you know magnets and credit cards don't mix because they ruin the data strip in the cards. This is a nice leather clip/card holder that works well for minimalists. I got my dad one last year for fathers day and he loves it.

I got it at Duluth Trading Co. www.duluthtrading.com

Link for money clip: http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/d...ure=Product_16

Oh yeah... I carry it in left front pocket. I'm right handed and carry other essentials in right front pocket.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    I carry at about 2:30 instead of the traditional behind the hip, so the back pocket isn't usually a problem. When it is I stick the wallet in my front pocket. This has the added advantage that it makes me go thru it and throw things away to keep it thin.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Daddy taught me at a young age to carry my wallet on my left as I am right handed. He explained that 'If someone reaches for your wallet, you can grab them with your left and spin towards them with your right hand.' His theory was that you could hit them and keep your wallet.

I have carried there ever since.
    "Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle." Psalm 144:1

Senior Moderator
    My wallet goes in my purse!

Seriously, though, sometimes I don't want to lug my purse around and so it's time for me to get as creative as the guys and find space on my person for money, cards, cell phone, gun, spare mag, all that jazz.

Most of the time my CCW permit and my driver's license and debit card go in my left back pocket because I won't need to pull them out that much. Money goes in my front pockets or in my left back pocket with my license and permit. Cell phone gets clipped to my belt on my left side so that when I reach for it if it rings I don't flash my gun. Pens and change go in the front pockets along with chapstick and knife and a spare mag (if I'm wearing a different holster and forgot to put my spare mag pouch on that morning).

All in all, a good way to do things for me. I don't have to worry about a bulky wallet getting in the way, I just have to remember where I put everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Serenity View Post
    I've had my CWP for one week today. :D

I'm still working through the logistics of carry and getting used to it and there is one particular issue that I haven't found a great answer for yet and that is what to do with my wallet.

For years I've carried my wallet in my back right pocket but that's really not going to work with my IWB holster in the location I'm wanting to carry it. It's difficult and clumsy to get the wallet out and it's pretty easy to accidently "flash" the gun when at the checkout line.

Another obvious option is to switch the wallet to the left side but I don't find this very comfortable either and not all my pants, especially dress pants, have a pocket on that side.

So I'd like to hear some creative options or wallet designs that might make this easier.

How come no one's suggested the obvious? I will be happy to receive your wallet! Problem solved!

I could carry it with my wallet, a thin card fold in my strong-side lower cargo pocket (5.11) under my pocket carry. Hmmmm....after reading this thread, I think I'll carry a decoy wallet on the left. Then when getting it out for a BG and is catching his watchful eye, I can be concentrating on sliding out my protection from its concealment as the situation allows and warrants. That's worth practicing...
    "Our Constitution was made only for a religious and moral people. It is wholly inadequate for the government of any other." --- John Adams
    (1735-1826) Founding Father, 2nd US President
    Source: Oct. 11, 1798; Address to the military

VIP Member
    Get a Front Pocket Wallet! It's better for your back anyway!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Interesting point. Even though I am almost totally right handed I have always carried my wallet in the left hip pocket.

Even before I carried (like age 9) I never wanted my dominant hand occupied while reaching for my wallet.

I may be dumb and unworldly but I have never seen a pair of pants that had any rear pockets that did not have one on the left side.
    William Wallace
    Do not stand between Me and Mine!!

I have a really thin wallet with an integrated money clip that will hold my license, my CCW permit, my credit cards, and cash in a super low profile manner that easily fits into a front pocket :)

sort of like this:

Also, I clean all the "junk" out of my wallet often so I don't have needless crap stuffed in there

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Got rid of my wallet years ago. I drive a lot and was having back problems due to the way I was sitting because of a bulky wallet. Had a dent in my butt too.

Like so many others I switched to left front carry with a money clip.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Quote Originally Posted by Serenity View Post
    ... what to do with my wallet.
    Seriously, how many of the items inside your wallet to you actively use within a single week? One-third of the contents? Less? If so, then you don't need a wallet.

As suggested, a money clip might be a good choice for you. You can find them with a thin outer leather covering works very well. You can have one made up with a thin slit in each covering to support a single card on each side. One could be windowed, to allow seeing your driver's license without removal, for example. DL, CHL, 1 ccard, plus a few $50's and change. It can take up one-fourth the space, if trimmed to that level.

EDIT: One option ... Old School Leather, a money clip with enough room for 3 cards, some cash, window panel for driver's license. Very thin.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

At My Chiropractor's Office...

Quote Originally Posted by stickybeatz View Post
    I have a really thin wallet with an integrated money clip that will hold my license, my CCW permit, my credit cards, and cash in a super low profile manner that easily fits into a front pocket :)

sort of like this:

Also, I clean all the "junk" out of my wallet often so I don't have needless crap stuffed in there
    I found a similar type, flat wallet...the money clip in in the middle of the inside. I thinned out the info I really needed: driver's lic., one credit card, my CCW and my BC/BS card...that's it!

Four flat cards, a few bucks, and my new wallet carry is so thin, I hardly know it's there. I can carry it in left back or left front pocket. I still keep other stuff I could/might use in another wallet, but that one is in my safe. Oddly, it's been over 6 months now, and what I carry is really all I have ever needed.

It makes for easy CCW...one lump in my waistband, and no more wallet lumps.

OMO

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Well, as stated in earlier posts, either get a money clip or smaller wallet for your front pocket, or switch your wallet to the left rear. Worked for me.

VIP Member
    Here's my suggestion... like ccw9mm said, clean out all the crud that you don't use all the time. People carry around all their credit cards, their SSCard, extra ID, old receipts, etc.

After you figure out what you need, carry two small money clips. One to put any cash bills you may have in (if you are married, you may skip this step), the other to put your DL, CPL, CC, etc in. Keep them both in a front pocket, separated if convenient, otherwise together. Many people can't whittle down to (in my opinion) only what they "need" to carry, so this may not work for you if you need to carry more cards/IDs than will fit in a clip.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links