Help on finding CC info.

This is a discussion on Help on finding CC info. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Where could I find information (statistics) on how many times a personal defense firearm (not law enforcement) has been drawn and fired each year? Other ...

Thread: Help on finding CC info.

Help on finding CC info.

Where could I find information (statistics) on how many times a personal defense firearm (not law enforcement) has been drawn and fired each year?

Other stats I am looking for are:
    Distance of threat.
    Number of rounds fired.

Thanks

2. Remove Ads

I'd like to know this myself but have never encountered any such statistics online.

The Justice Department's statistical branch might have it somewhere online. Or more than likely, some author who's written a personal defense book has done the necessary research and posted in one of their books--which author/book is beyond me. Sorry I can't help.

When I did a legislative youth program back in high school (yes, I'm only 22), you guys will like this, I created a bill that allowed anyone capable of owning a firearm in my state to receive free training from the National Guard in the proficiency and use of an AR-15 style rifle, and also grant each citizen who did so a $500 tax rebate to help pay for the costs of the rifle (this is back when my state had a 2+ billion dollar surplus). To make a long story short, I had found a gun statistical website that provided the statistics you are looking for about how often guns are used for personal protection, especiallly by CCW's. If I stumble upon the site I'll post it here.

And yes, the bill was QUITE fun to argue! It was basically all the liberal, anti women against the guys. That created more debate than any other bill. Fun times.
    "When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."
    --Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Shooterer View Post
    Where could I find information (statistics) on how many times a personal defense firearm (not law enforcement) has been drawn and fired each year?

Thanks
    Jon Guttmacher, Florida Firearms, quotes a no. somewhere between 1 and 2 million times a year that a gun is drawn and threat stopped. Not how many times fired.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Anyone else?
    Stand up for what's right..... Even if you stand alone.

New Member Array funlovingcowboy's Avatar
    The NRA claims that firearms are used in self defense around 2 million times a year. I'm not sure where they got that number, but they is what they claim.

They get it from Dr. Gary Kleck.

Quote Originally Posted by funlovingcowboy View Post
    The NRA claims that firearms are used in self defense around 2 million times a year. I'm not sure where they got that number, but they is what they claim.
    http://www.guncite.com/gun_control_gcdguse.html
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Shooterer View Post

Other stats I am looking for are:
    Distance of threat.
    Number of rounds fired.

Thanks
    Do not know how many but Our instructor who is a TBI TN Bureau of Investion, say FBI stats are

Less than 6'
    over in less than 3 seconds
    3 rounds fired.
    1942 M3 Autocar Half-track...M3A1 Diamond T Half-track...57mm Anti-Tank Cannon

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

I'm on a somewhat similar quest, though my particular object is to debunk the old wives' tale that if you keep a gun you're more likely to be shot by an intruder than to deter him. I haven't found anything yet on your specific question, but you can find some useful numbers on the annual use of guns versus burglars here, and probably a good deal more if you google for "Gary Kleck," who has written extensively on the subject.

Links