Repeal the 2nd Amendment, Analyst Advises

This is a discussion on Repeal the 2nd Amendment, Analyst Advises within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Modern society is "much more ambivalent than they [the founders] were about whether gun ownership really is fundamental to liberty," he said. I believe this ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Repeal the 2nd Amendment, Analyst Advises

DC Founder
    Modern society is "much more ambivalent than they [the founders] were about whether gun ownership really is fundamental to liberty," he said.
    I believe this is extremely bad assumption on his part. He has a skewed and biased view of what "modern society" wants. I agree, though, that this is nothing more than one person, among a vocal group, that would be willing to edit the Constitution to meet their own agenda.

I was visiting the new Bass Pro Shops Outdor World last week, looking at all of the guns, shooting gear, hunting gear and the camping gear that hunters buy a lot of and started considering the impact of actually outlawing guns. Can you imagine what would happpen to our economy, and unemployment, if this industry were to lose their market overnight? I believe that the "unintended consequences" would devastate this country. I don't think it could happen overnight, but fractional, and relentless assault on guns and the 2nd, could eventually make it very "doable". We need to fight it as we encounter it....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

2. Remove Ads

all of us in the military are sworn to uphold the constitution and protect against all enemies, even if they are domestic.

now, there are quite a few liberals in the military, but the majority are still gun lovers from the south.

if the government doesn't have the military on its side, it won't ever be able to outright repeal the 2nd because there are enough civilians that won't let this slide.

it might be able to continue to slowly chip away at it with illegitimate federal and state laws without the people understanding what's going on. but, never outright repeal it (besides the fact that you can't repeal any part of the bill of rights).
    War is not the ugliest of things. Worse is the decayed state of moral feeling which thinks nothing is worth a war. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which he cares for more than his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free. -J.S. Mill

Senior Member Array mech1369dlw's Avatar
    I read or heard somewhere, a long time ago, something about "cold, dead fingers". That applies to me, and I would guess, to a lot of people on this forum and to the millions of others out there in this great nation. Go for it, Dude.
    A person is justified in the use of deadly force, if such person reasonably believes deadly force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to such person or a third person.

Quote Originally Posted by phaed View Post
    (besides the fact that you can't repeal any part of the bill of rights).
    I have to admit that I have never read that anywhere. Do you have a reference on that?

Repealing the 2nd Amendment???

Lemme borrow a bit from Ron White...

You'de have a better chance of "sandpapering the a55hole of an alligator in a phone booth" than getting the 2nd repealed!
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Honestly, I think this is the fight that is on the way.

The "Anti-gunners" are starting to figure out that the history and obvious implications of the 2nd Amendment are in our favor. At some point they are going to have to make the all out assault.

We have to be ready to fight it....our advantage...the ambivalent average American is very slow to change one of the 10 Amendments..our disadvantage....the ambivalent average American may not have the stones to protect the Bill of Rights.

It might not happen this year or next...but at some point the Antis are going to realize that it's all or nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by jualdeaux View Post
    I have to admit that I have never read that anywhere. Do you have a reference on that?
    jauldeaux, i'm glad you challenged that issue. i thought i learned that somewhere a long time ago (middle school civics), and never challenged it because it made sense. i knew they repealed the alcohol prohibition amendment, but i thought big 10 were untouchable.

however, i've spent the last couple of hours looking for something, anything, to support it, and have come up with nothing. that's pretty damned scary.
    War is not the ugliest of things. Worse is the decayed state of moral feeling which thinks nothing is worth a war. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which he cares for more than his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free. -J.S. Mill

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by phaed View Post
    jauldeaux, i'm glad you challenged that issue. i thought i learned that somewhere a long time ago (middle school civics), and never challenged it because it made sense. i knew they repealed the alcohol prohibition amendment, but i thought big 10 were untouchable.

however, i've spent the last couple of hours looking for something, anything, to support it, and have come up with nothing. that's pretty damned scary.
    Any part of the Constitution can be changed via the Amendment process. It is not an easy process, which is exactly what the Founders intended.

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by raysheen View Post
    Citing the Fourth Amendment, which protects "the right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures," Barnett argued, "Sure it was fine that persons should be secure in their papers and effects back in the old days when there wasn't a danger of terrorism and mass murder."
    That is the part that scares me the most about this article. Citing the illegal, unconstitutional Patriot Act's transgressions against the 4th (and others) as an excuse to illegally and unconstitutionally transgress against the 2nd.

Something about "cold dead hands"?

-B

IIRC it takes a 2/3rd's majority vote of the people (not the states) for a U.S. Constitutional ammendment. (same for a repeal)

You will never, at least in my lifetime get a 2/3rd's vote to repeal that ammendment
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    IIRC it takes a 2/3rd's majority vote of the people (not the states) for a U.S. Constitutional ammendment. (same for a repeal)
    You recall incorrectly.

Quote Originally Posted by United States Constitution
    The Congress, whenever two thirds of both Houses shall deem it necessary, shall propose Amendments to this Constitution, or, on the Application of the Legislatures of two thirds of the several States, shall call a Convention for proposing Amendments, which, in either Case, shall be valid to all Intents and Purposes, as part of this Constitution, when ratified by the Legislatures of three fourths of the several States, or by Conventions in three fourths thereof, as the one or the other Mode of Ratification may be proposed by the Congress; Provided that no Amendment which may be made prior to the Year One thousand eight hundred and eight shall in any Manner affect the first and fourth Clauses in the Ninth Section of the first Article; and that no State, without its Consent, shall be deprived of its equal Suffrage in the Senate.
    It requires 2/3 of both houses of congress and 3/4 of State legislatures (or state conventions called specifically for ratifying an amendment, which was only done for the 21st Amendment).

Quote Originally Posted by Musketeer View Post
    They do not fully understand the responsibilites of a free society or do not believe that a free society is the best solution. These are people who feel problems are best solved by legislation.

They are not right, in my opinion, but they are neither crazy or evil.
    So how would you describe a person who is not crazy or evil that wants to relieve our society of its freedoms? The few people I have met that wanted us to give up our rights "for the greater good" always seemed to focus on rights they never chose to exercise themselves. Of course when I pointed out the security benefits of them giving up some their rights "for the greater good" they call me a fascist!

The gun banners have used deception, and hysteria to lobby against our civil rights.

Or does anyone wish to argue that Gun rights are not civil rights?

The gun banners have been at war with free people for decades. They mean to rule, they mean to make us criminals, they mean to make us submit.

When they come to uncontested power, I don't believe they intend to relinquish that power voluntarily, ever again.

If a political group were lobbying to require me to carry identification identifying my religion, ethnic group, sexual preference, and political party, and using mass media to promote my eventual destruction...

I'd call that EVIL.

--Travis--

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    Repeal the 2d and start a civil war. I guarantee you
    I agree. In fact, I would be one of the first ones on the front line fighting the government if the 2nd amendment were repealed.

It's one of the reasons I own an AK. I will soon have an AR and an M1 carbine as well. Every citizen should own at least one battle rifle for this contingency alone.

If they try to repeal the 2nd, there WILL be a civil war. But, I doubt that even the government would ever be stupid enough to try that.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

i would agree they wont repeal the 2nd. they will just make more and more laws that modify what we can own. that is the ONLY way the anti's are going to get away with it. an all out frontal assult like in any battle field is suicide. you may win but you will take too many casualties for it to be considered a victory. basically they get it repealed i would agree there will more than likely be a civil war again and they would end up loosing due to not being armed.....lol

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links